Windshields - which one is better?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Scootin_in_MS

Windshields - which one is better?

Post by Scootin_in_MS »

I've seen pictures of the short one and the tall one, but not of the universal one. Can those of you with windshields please post a photo of the installed product (so I can see the size differences), tell which one you have, and tell me the pros and cons? I want one, but I'm not sure which one I want to buy.

Thanks,
Jody
rajron

Post by rajron »

Short one is the best.

Tall one offers the best protection but we only go about 50 mph anyway.
So, I say the short one because it protects the torso taking that wind-chill out and to me it also looks great. And, the scoot is more stable at speed, and the rearview mirrors are pushed out over an inch offering beter rear view on and on
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

At first I wasn't so sure about the tall one, because it is SO much taller, but realizing that the short one doesn't offer the protection for your hands made me go for it. I haven't had it up to full speed yet (it's been raining here and I'm still not comfortable zipping around on wet streets) but even at 40-45 I LOVE the difference. The protection from the wind is wonderful now that it is getting colder. With it, the only wind I feel is a backdraft on the back of my calves. It makes a huge difference. And I don't know about others, but at faster speeds the wind used to really catch my helmet when I did a head check of my blind spot, so I really like the protection that goes all the way up, not just to the torso. Anything that makes you less stable when looking for hazards is a bad thing, so anything to take that away is a good thing!

That said, I didn't actually have it out in the rain, so I don't know how looking through, rather than over, the windshield will be in the rain.

I think the assembly is the same short or tall, not sure about universal, so you get the added height and width on the mirrors either way.

As far as I can see the only reason to get the short one is ten bucks and if you just like the look that much better. If I have any more thoughts when I get going a bit faster or actually get caught in the rain, I'll add them.
germ

Post by germ »

I'm with sunshinen. I bought the tall screen as it is getting very cold hee in CO. Why screw around with something that only does half the job? It is already been down to the 30s here. It is more like a wind wall. If you live in a warm climate then don't bother. If it gets cold then go for the tall.
sparty

Post by sparty »

I liked the look of the tall windscreen, but I suspected that I, being only 5'5'', will look awfully silly with it. Wish I have the skills and tools to cut down the screen, but I don't. Oh well....
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

sparty wrote:I liked the look of the tall windscreen, but I suspected that I, being only 5'5'', will look awfully silly with it. Wish I have the skills and tools to cut down the screen, but I don't. Oh well....
Well, I'm only 5'1" so you won't look half as silly as me! I'll try and get a pic with myself on it.

The worst part I have found is that when I'm trying to push it off the center stand, I bonk my head on the windshield. So now I am taking it off the stand before I get on, which is a challenge on a slope when Buddy wants to run away.

I'm thinking of getting a jigsaw to cut it down some, but am still glad I got the tall one.
dorothyblue

Post by dorothyblue »

sunshinen wrote:
sparty wrote:I liked the look of the tall windscreen, but I suspected that I, being only 5'5'', will look awfully silly with it. Wish I have the skills and tools to cut down the screen, but I don't. Oh well....
Well, I'm only 5'1" so you won't look half as silly as me! I'll try and get a pic with myself on it.

The worst part I have found is that when I'm trying to push it off the center stand, I bonk my head on the windshield. So now I am taking it off the stand before I get on, which is a challenge on a slope when Buddy wants to run away.

I'm thinking of getting a jigsaw to cut it down some, but am still glad I got the tall one.
I'm 5'2", and I bonk my head too. How snug is the part that goes around the headlight supposed to be? I pushed mine as close a possible, but now I'm wondering if I ought to have left it out a few inches (to leave more room between the windshield and my head).
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I had pushed mine up originally, too, but have since pushed it back out, so that the end of the metal rod is flush with the end of the clamp. it's a littly bit better.