new member intro/first trip to the gas station

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

twoscoots

new member intro/first trip to the gas station

Post by twoscoots »

Hi!
My husband and I are the proud new owners of '08 125s in black and orange. We've both had motorcycles in the past, but had never been on a scooter until yesterday. Boy, these things are fun, aren't they? I wondered if I would feel like I was riding a moped, but it was just like a motorcycle, only better. My left foot felt a little abandoned at first (my last bike was a 1500cc Victory touring bike with a satisfyingly stompy rocker shift) but a couple of stop signs without having to put in a clutch cured that. Obviously, the Buddy doesn't have as much oomph at the top end, but I didn't really enjoy going 75MPH on a bike even with a big motor and a windshield. My hubby said that he felt like not having to deal with shifting freed him up to enjoy the experience more. He also told me he was a little "eh" about the idea of scooters until he actually got on one.
We had a kid-free day today, so we spent a couple of hours tooling around the city. My scoot wasn't full when the dealer dropped it off (a little over half a tank) so after 65 miles we detoured through the gas station to fill up. We both filled up and it took 2 gallons. :D
bjj4287

Post by bjj4287 »

congrats & have fun!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Congrats and welcome to the forum!

I'm a big fan of 2-scooter households. Be prepared to get a lot of stares, waves, and kids going bonkers when they see you. You'll also get a lot of questions from strangers, passersby, and people coming up to tell you about the scooter they had back in the '60s. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Congratulations!

We are, for now, just a one scooter family but my wife wants us to get a second for our kid-free days (which are few and far between!). I ride our Italia most of the week but she usually takes it one day.

We were at our shop today and she's jonesing for a St. Tropez big time!!

have fun, read every thread here because they are all useful (well most all), and welcome to MB!
ScootLemont

Re: new member intro/first trip to the gas station

Post by ScootLemont »

twoscoots wrote: My scoot wasn't full when the dealer dropped it off (a little over half a tank) so after 65 miles we detoured through the gas station to fill up. We both filled up and it took 2 gallons. :D
Welcome & have fun.

My scoot was delivered with only 1/2 tank as well.... they tend to flood out if trailered with a full tank (my dealer told me) - makes sense to me as my sleds have fuel line shut offs for when they are on the trailer.
charltons

Post by charltons »

ericalm wrote:Congrats and welcome to the forum!

I'm a big fan of 2-scooter households. Be prepared to get a lot of stares, waves, and kids going bonkers when they see you. You'll also get a lot of questions from strangers, passersby, and people coming up to tell you about the scooter they had back in the '60s. :)
WE (me and southernscoot) wholeheartedly concur!
" You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought " - Leia