New to scootin', new to the forums!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Ronin

New to scootin', new to the forums!

Post by Ronin »

Heya all,

I just wanted to throw a quick hello out to everyone in the forums. I'm new to the world of two-wheeled fun (apart from riding mopeds back in my earlier days...).

I decided on the Buddy after reading many many awesome reviews on the quality and enjoyment everyone has received from Genuine. Although I can't ride it to work quiiiitteee yet (moto-license here I come!) I have ridden it around a bit and am extremely surprised at the ease of handling that the Buddy provides.

I've been reading and reading (and well.. reading some more) on all of the posts on the forum to get as much info as possible on my new green machine and I want to thank you all right away for the awesome information that is contained here at Modern Buddy!

-Ronin
KABanshee

Post by KABanshee »

Welcome to the 2 wheel world.
"Hey Little Buddy" - Jonas Grumby
ervine13

Post by ervine13 »

Welcome!
Eddy Merckx

Post by Eddy Merckx »

Welcome to the two wheeled world, good to have ya here.
"Social graces, got any"
soupergrrl

Post by soupergrrl »

Ronin you are not alone here in being new. I have been reading this forum for about a month now and the information given here is priceless! While I am not new to two-wheels, I am to a scooter. I just bought a 2007 Sunset Orange Buddy 125cc. It's perfect and I definitely glad I bought it! It may be a 100+ degrees this summer in North Texas, but I won't care....I have a scooter. And I laugh in the face of all of those fools who are paying $75 for a tank of gas.

Amy

:P
2007 Buddy 125 Sunset Orange
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

Ronin whereabouts are you from in Iowa--nearest major city?

Congrats on the scooter...happy trails.
jmazza

Re: New to scootin', new to the forums!

Post by jmazza »

Ronin wrote:
I've been reading and reading (and well.. reading some more) on all of the posts on the forum to get as much info as possible on my new green machine and I want to thank you all right away for the awesome information that is contained here at Modern Buddy!

-Ronin
Welcome Ronin!

I can't say how awesome it is to hear you've been reading and reading and reading on the forum. That's what I did too- for about six months before finally buying my scooter (started out as more of a pipe dream and then I realized it was a great idea), and it really made me feel like I already had a bit of experience before ever even getting on. My first rides, I was reminding myself of things I had read on the board here and felt much more comfortable.

Have fun!
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Welcome & have fun!
...and now for my plug for the Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunt
topic4570.html
dont miss out on the fun Ronin
Mary Jane

Post by Mary Jane »

Good to see another Iowan on this forum! Welcome! :o :o

Have fun and be safe! I'm sure you have read about the Motorcycle safety courses -- it was a day of hard work for me as a newbie, but very valuable. Can't recommend it enough.
trevo_man

Post by trevo_man »

Welcome to both of you! You made a great scooter decision.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Thank you all for the warm welcome! :D

ryder1 wrote:Ronin whereabouts are you from in Iowa--nearest major city?

Congrats on the scooter...happy trails.
Ryder - I'm right in the Des Moines area. It makes me sad to think that I won't be able to ride year round, but at least I have a good chunk of the year to enjoy it!
Mary Jane wrote:Have fun and be safe! I'm sure you have read about the Motorcycle safety courses -- it was a day of hard work for me as a newbie, but very valuable. Can't recommend it enough.
Mary Jane - I definitely want to see about getting into the Motorcycle safety course. I wasn't certain if they would let me bring my Buddy into that, or if they require a motorcycle for it. I would be sad if I couldn't because, well, my Buddy.. wherever I go, he goes.... (I will eternally have that 80's commercial stuck in my head).
I do want to get over to Ankeny next Saturday to take my skills/written test and get my license if possible.... I'll have to cross my fingers!

Nice to meet you all!
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

Ronin wrote:I definitely want to see about getting into the Motorcycle safety course. I wasn't certain if they would let me bring my Buddy into that, or if they require a motorcycle for it. I would be sad if I couldn't because, well, my Buddy..
It may be different from state to state, but I know that in Missouri they told me I could bring my scooter and take the course and test on it instead of their motorcycles if I wanted to do that.

I had assumed I would have to take the class on a motorcycle, so it won't hurt to call them up and ask them. :)
~Celebrate~
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Yeah, sounds like a call is in order. I wrote down the number for my DMV to make sure that there isn't any issue on doing the skills test for the M license on my scoot. Now THAT would be quite an issue (if they said no...). :?
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

Ronin wrote:Yeah, sounds like a call is in order. I wrote down the number for my DMV to make sure that there isn't any issue on doing the skills test for the M license on my scoot. Now THAT would be quite an issue (if they said no...). :?
If you take the class here they give you a test at the end, and then they give you a certificate you take to the DMV that waives having to do the skills test there. After I took the written part of the test they told me about that, and my husband told me that taking the course test can be easier than the DMV test. Just in case you are thinking of taking the course before you would try for your M license.
~Celebrate~
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Hmmm.. definitely something to look into then! Thanks! :D
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

Hope it works out for you. :) I did the written part, which gave me my restricted permit so I could drive around as long as I didn't ride another passenger or drive after dark. I figured that would give me time to decide whether to take the skills test first or do the course. Our classes here fill up fast!

Anyway, good luck, stay safe, and have fun!
~Celebrate~