Prima pipe voiding warranty & install questions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ZQ8 Blazer

Prima pipe voiding warranty & install questions

Post by ZQ8 Blazer »

I just read where it will void the warranty, This is just a bolt on right? So I can buy it and install it and if something happens I can just bolt the stock one back up right?

Also it says "You will want to check your jetting and possibly change your variator weights too." How do you do this and is it very hard to do?
-Justin-
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

This thread has some good info on variator weights...

viewtopic.php?t=4125&highlight=variator+weights
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The exhaust will not void your entire warranty, just the warranty as it applies to related parts and systems and even then only if the problem you're bringing your scoot in can be traced back to the exhaust. So your electrical system goes out, it's still covered. Clutch goes kablooey, same.

There's been a lot of discussion of this in the past. You can do a search but may have to do a little digging.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

i got my prima exhaust installed by my dealer and he said that as long as the dealer installs it for you, it doesnt void the warranty, maybe it depends on some dealers, im not quite sure
tunseeker1

Post by tunseeker1 »

If you change the exhaust and make more power and it affects something else it won't be covered.

If you make power and the clutch goes kablooey then its not covered.
if you change the pipe and the engine goes lean and blows up its not covered.

If the battery goes bad it should still be covered. ;)
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

r0sa wrote:i got my prima exhaust installed by my dealer and he said that as long as the dealer installs it for you, it doesnt void the warranty, maybe it depends on some dealers, im not quite sure
This is my understanding as well. Prima is the in-house accessories brand for Scooterworks/Genuine. So yeah, if the dealer installs it, you should be good. Jetting is the tricky part - as the different exhaust changes the back pressure to the engine, so it'll need a different mixture setting to get optimal performance. This is a bit tricky and you'll probably want help from a tuning shop or someone with experience doing it. Roller weights will give you a different gear ratio - tapping you into higher rpm's (think of it as a lower gear) when you're trying to accelerate. Roller weights are pretty easy to swap, but if you do, be sure to upgrade to a kevlar belt while you're at it, or at least replace the belt for good measure. In fact if you're looking for more pep, roller weights would be a good place to start, exhaust or no.
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

If a dealer does the install, you can keep your over all warranty of the bike, except the pipe itself, cause it's aftermarket.

Also, the prima doesnt require rejetting, or roller weight change. Roller weights are simple to do, but really arent needed. Really, just bolt the pipe on, and ride. But really I think the buddy is peppy enough and sounds deep and throaty enough.
twharton

Post by twharton »

I live at sea level. I've had the Pima pipe on for about 1.5 years. Easiest mod ever...just bolt on and NO UPJETTING OR WEIGHT CHANGE required!
twharton
Northwest, FL
"Where thousands live the way millions wish they could!"
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

The pipe is actually lighter than the stock pipe on the buddy, it will take off a few pounds, not sure if that itself adds any performance, but still, it lets the bike lose some weight.
ZQ8 Blazer

Post by ZQ8 Blazer »

ok guys thanks.

I'm sorry if it will keep my warranty from getting void I'll let the dealer install it, but that's just BS anyone can install a muffler.

So will the jetting need to be adjusted or not with this muffler?
-Justin-