Should I Trade Up?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

NarMeowZippy

Should I Trade Up?

Post by NarMeowZippy »

I've had my 50cc Buddy for a few months now, and have been loving every minute of it. However, I've noticed that it would be nice to be able to go a little faster than just 45mph.

I only live a few miles from work, so no highway driving now. But, there's always the possibility of eventually moving and needing to get on a highway to go to work.

So I lay it out to everyone here... should I keep my 50cc Buddy or trade up to the 125cc? What is the average speed you get on the 125cc for highway driving?
It's Scooter-rific!!!
Shellee

Re: Should I Trade Up?

Post by Shellee »

NarMeowZippy wrote:so I lay it out to everyone here... should I keep my 50cc Buddy or trade up to the 125cc?
Trade up.
~ Shellee
Genuine Buddy 170
www.scooterdiva.com
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

i'm light, but i can hold 70 mph on a flat. i'm comfortable at keeping pace at 60-65mph, and that is about right for a 50mph speed limit.
FlyingGary

Post by FlyingGary »

If you're contemplating it, then I say you're ready to trade up! You'll probably lose a few hundred on the trade/sale, though, because the warranty can't be transferred. But you probably won't mind too much when you're zipping past the 50cc riders. :lol:
tam

Post by tam »

I also commute on backroads that go up to 50mph (legally, at least). The bike gets up to an indicated 65ish mph, which from stories you read on here is actually closer to about 55mph. Either way, I keep up with cars without too much trouble, and there's always a broad shoulder in case I get a jackass behind me. I'd say you should trade up. Not just for top speed, but also for take-off. I haven't ridden a 50cc, but the 125cc is quick off the line
ellen

Post by ellen »

Trade up.

I bet the majority of the 50cc scooters on eBay have owners who at one time or another said "I'll never have to go more than 40 MPH" And now have the need for more speed.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Trade up, but don't do it so you can ride on the freeway. There's been some debate over whether freeway speeds can be maintained, especially for someone of average height/weight and on inclines and with headwinds, etc. Don't get too optimistic about this if freeway riding is a necessity. 125s aren't highway legal in most states (if not all), to boot.
If freeway riding is really what you need to do, consider going with a bigger scoot like a Kymco 250.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

ericalm wrote:Trade up, but don't do it so you can ride on the freeway. There's been some debate over whether freeway speeds can be maintained, especially for someone of average height/weight and on inclines and with headwinds, etc. Don't get too optimistic about this if freeway riding is a necessity. 125s aren't highway legal in most states (if not all), to boot.
If freeway riding is really what you need to do, consider going with a bigger scoot like a Kymco 250.
This is great advice! Not only will the 125 have difficulty keeping up, it'll be at least somewhat unstable at that speed. Crosswinds, semi-truck blowbys, pebbles thrown up by big trucks with no mud flaps, etc. A 125 or 150 is overmatched on the highway. Too bad, because in many ways, the highway is safer than neighborhood streets.

Just like a 50, a 125 or 150 cannot do everything. My 125 complements a road bicycle and a motorcycle and I ride my scoot more often than either of the others. But, there are times when it just flat won't work. A 250 or 400 scooter can do just about anything, except park at a bike rack, which is important to me. My own personal favorite large scooter is the Vespa GTS. Gorgeous, quick, it sounds great and it's much smaller than the Kymcos, Suzukis or Hondas. If I wanted one ride to do everything, that would be it. But it still wouldn't handle the highway like a motorcycle, where I can drop down a gear or two and explode out of trouble.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

gt1000 wrote:My own personal favorite large scooter is the Vespa GTS. Gorgeous, quick, it sounds great and it's much smaller than the Kymcos, Suzukis or Hondas. If I wanted one ride to do everything, that would be it. But it still wouldn't handle the highway like a motorcycle, where I can drop down a gear or two and explode out of trouble.
Well, yeah, I freakin' love the GTS. But it's basically the most expensive 250 you can buy! I figure a Kymco isn't such a stretch from a Buddy 125. But, heck yeah, if you've got the means the GTS 250ie is the most beautiful new scoot on the market.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ericalm wrote:Well, yeah, I freakin' love the GTS. But it's basically the most expensive 250 you can buy! I figure a Kymco isn't such a stretch from a Buddy 125. But, heck yeah, if you've got the means the GTS 250ie is the most beautiful new scoot on the market.
I bought a GTS250ie and rode it for a while. I must be the only person in the world who wasn't bowled over by it. Part of the problem was that I was pretty attached to my GT200L which I traded on the GTS, but part of it was the GTS itself. I don't know how to explain it except to say that it had no character. Compared to the GT, the GTS was like riding a computer. So, if you're thinking of going that route, and you don't want to spend the mountains of cash on a GTS, see if you can find a used GT. You should be able to find one for less than half what a new GTS would cost and you may find that you like it better. One caveat, you'll want to swap out the OEM front shock for a Bitubo. It greatly improves the handling.
NarMeowZippy

Post by NarMeowZippy »

Thanks for the insight guys... I appreciate the help. I think I will wait a few months and trade up to the 125cc when funds allow. It seems like the best way to go... cause I wanna GO! :lol:
It's Scooter-rific!!!
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Is there any advantage to having the 50cc in Washington?

Do 50's have to be registered and insured and whatnot?

You may want to check into what you'll have to pay additionally as far as all of that stuff is concerned. :wink:
Huh? What just happened?
Melody

Post by Melody »

Well...

WA state is pretty simple. Anything over 50cc's requires that you get your motorcylce license. It's a pain in the butt to make trip to the DOL, but that's pretty much it.

As far as insurance is concerened...if you paid off your scoot, you don't have to carry anything (except liability I think). I ahve full coverage beacuse I am anal and woldn't want my scoot to get stolen out from under me and not have a way to recoup my losses.

Where in Seattle are you located NarMeowZippy? I live in Uptown -- I just got my scoot in late Aug and I am so glad I got the 125cc (due to hills -- QA and downtown).
Peace and Love
NarMeowZippy

Post by NarMeowZippy »

Melody - I'm actually in Kirkland now. I was in Ballard for a while... and yeah the hills KILL in the 50cc. I drive with my sister sometimes in the Moped Army which is in Ballard... but they drive everywhere.

My Buddy is pretty much brand new. I just put the real plates on last weekend and I'm already kind of wishing I would have bought the 125cc. I'm not thrilled about getting my motorcycle endorsement, but I really want to keep up with traffic on hills and large arterials.
It's Scooter-rific!!!
Melody

Post by Melody »

Right on. I am still working on finding some groups to ride with. I want to get my full license before I try to mob with other people.

I say trade up as soon as you can afford it. Endorsement = pain in the ars, but the extra umph on QA makes it all worth it.
Peace and Love
NarMeowZippy

Post by NarMeowZippy »

Yeah, I've been wanting to start a riding group on the Eastside. No one I knows has a scooter or motorbike, so I have to ride by myself. Gets kind of boring sometimes. I figure that if I had a 125cc I'd be more apt to go to Seattle and ride with other people, since there are scooter groups there.
It's Scooter-rific!!!
Melody

Post by Melody »

Message me when you get the 125cc and we can cruise! Of course once we get through the Seattle rainy days -- boo, is fall already upon us?
Peace and Love
RisingSunset

Post by RisingSunset »

Once you get your motorcycle license I can almost guarantee you'll want to trade up.