Rattles ? ?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Babypea

Rattles ? ?

Post by Babypea »

I recently had my 125 in for it's first service. Everything was checked, changed and adjusted. Runs fine (idles a little fast, but calms down eventually. Guess this would be normal?) HOWEVER, ever since the service the right turn signal apparatus that hangs off the right bar has rattled continuously. I have tightened everything I can find. Messed around with the cable that hangs out etc. When coming to a stop it is the worst. I can reach down and hold the turn signal in my hand and the rattle will stop. It's tight, nothing broken, cables in place and all the rest. I am about to rip the dang thing off totally. I have looked at the specs on the on line manual, but can't figure out how to get inside that area to see if it is internal wireing or not. Don't think it is as it stops when I hold it with my hand.
Any suggestions before I totally rip it off. I HATE RATTLES.
Since when does anything you say, have any bearing over what I do?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

That would drive me crazy too! I would try removing the screw holding it in place and putting a washer or two on to see if it tightens up a bit. The bolt may be bottoming out. Let us know!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
germ

Post by germ »

The only thing that rattles on my 50 is the center stand when I am at a stop. When I hold my left brake in it stops. I am thinking of adding a piece of rubber or something to the top of the stand to stop it from rattling against the bike.
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

And here I thought Genuine already had a model called Rattler..... :lol:
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
James Tate

Post by James Tate »

Getting into the headset isn't too hard, you just have to take out four screws and unscrew the speedometer cable either at the hub or the gauge.
Have you checked the signal casing itself to make sure it is still securely clipped together? I don't imagine wiring would ever rattle, but grabbing the signal could dampen rattling in a large area of the headset so your problem could be something else. You could put it up on the center stand and eyeball it while it rattles to try and localize the noise.
Good luck.