Earn the respect......

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MrNatural

Earn the respect......

Post by MrNatural »

I don’t want to spur a debate about whether or not we should be able to operate our scooters any way we want just “because we can�, but I want to share a thought that I believe will aid us in what will be an ongoing quest for acceptance on the road…

I implore everyone to abide by the traffic laws and drive our scooters as if we are in the same class as motorcyclists and not BIcyclists!!!

Behavior I’ve seen:
driving down sidewalks
driving thru red lights
driving in bicycle lanes
U-turns in the middle of the street.
Driving down the shoulder/edge of roads.

The latest violation was on a one-way street that had a bicycle lane on the right. I saw a scooter driving THE WRONG WAY on the opposite side of the of the street the lane was located on. Autos had to stop as they passed the scooter due to the narrowness of the street. I don't think this was an "oops" because the scooter went on for blocks. Aaugggghhhh!!!!

These drivers (I admittedly "assume") believe they are not REALLY a motor vehicle so they drive like they are on a bicycle or some kind of a toy.

I personally try NOT to park at bicycle stands when other nearby, safe parking is available. The exception would be in downtown areas where it may have been the whole point of getting the scooter to avoid parking fees and hassles. But to each-his-own in that regard.

There are probably some who's precise purpose of having a scooter is to commit all of these acts. It is to you I say...think twice please. To others who are occasionally tempted (and I include myself in this bunch) I say... think twice please.

If we drive like we're on a toy and don’t belong on the streets that’s exactly how we’ll be treated by the cars, motorcycles, and police. Like a distainful annoyance.
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

I agree with you on everything aside from the U-turns.

If I can safely execute one, I'll do it... The same goes for me in my car.

Granted, I'm not going to pull a maneuver like that with traffic nearby in either case, but if I'm not impeding the flow of other vehicles or putting myself or anything/one else at risk, I'll happily U-ie. :D
Huh? What just happened?
DO3

Post by DO3 »

I still find it funny that I get the old 2 wheeler wave from everyone except the Harley guys when I'm out riding. They are that way when you're on a rocket too. Maybe they need to keep all ten fingers on the bars at all times, just in case she comes apart. Anyway, I think our little scoots are accepted by most of the 2 wheeler community, which is pretty cool to me.

I do agree about not doing dumb things as well, not going to earn any respect being dumb.
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

DO3 wrote:I still find it funny that I get the old 2 wheeler wave from everyone except the Harley guys when I'm out riding. They are that way when you're on a rocket too. Maybe they need to keep all ten fingers on the bars at all times, just in case she comes apart. Anyway, I think our little scoots are accepted by most of the 2 wheeler community, which is pretty cool to me.

I do agree about not doing dumb things as well, not going to earn any respect being dumb.
It's just the opposite down here....the guys on the Hogs always smile and "wave" at me but forget about the "crotch rocket kids".
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
GatsbyGirl

Post by GatsbyGirl »

Yes, it's definitely the sports bikes that give me the cold shoulder. Cute musician types on motorcycles (even Harleys) always smile, nod or something. At least to me. To Ericalm, not so much.
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

It's just the opposite down here....the guys on the Hogs always smile and "wave" at me but forget about the "crotch rocket kids".
That's my experience as well. Obeying the laws like we are autos is the best way to gain respect on the road. We have a right to the lane and should hold onto that right.

There is till some predjudice against scooters out there for sure. A couple weeks a go as my DH and I were coming out of a restaurant and unlocking our scooters, a guy on an off road/dirt bike was parking on the sidewalk by our scooters. He said to us "you look like nice people so I won't tell you how I feel about scooters". What the h*ll is that supposee to mean??? I really don't get it. I obey the laws. He was the one parking his big a** bike on the narrow sidewalk... blocking it!
Laura
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

Can't help myself:

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

And I agree with the notion that we shoudn't act like jerks when we ride, regardless of what we're riding.
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

Kevin K wrote:Can't help myself:

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

And I agree with the notion that we shoudn't act like jerks when we ride, regardless of what we're riding.
-K
Brooklyn Park :D My inlaws live in Woodbury!
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"