Blur Headlight Upgrade

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

NoogaScooter

Blur Headlight Upgrade

Post by NoogaScooter »

Does anyone know of a headlight upgrade for the Blur. From my understanding, it has a 35W Halogen in it. But, as I read on the Buddy forums, seems like there may be a 65W that may be used.

Any thoughts or comments, part numbers, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks,
NS
lilal801

Post by lilal801 »

They have a 9003 bulb for the head light so you can go to any car parts store and pick one up I'm putting in a HID (real one with ballest and all) so if any one wants the other half let me know. As to get to the bulb you take the top two screws out of what I call the steering coulm and then remove the shinie black plasitc in front and you can get right to it.
louden

Post by louden »

How do the HIDs work? Irritating to other drivers? Better for you to see the road?

I'm all for the safety of them - do you still have the other bulb?
maxG

Post by maxG »

i got a HID on my gmax....im not sure if its 12,000 kelvin...but i know it near to a blue light shade...

i have to buy it as a pair...so a i got a spare in case the one installed breaks down..

upon instilation...we manage to put it on a "dipped" mode only....and i'll have to upgrade my battery

yes, it could be irritating to some drivers..but HID is just so cool..

a friend on mine installed a projector lamp dedicated to mad ass bike on his gmax...that one is much better but you'll have to customized the whole headlight assembly
jasonkoscho

HID

Post by jasonkoscho »

lilal801 wrote:They have a 9003 bulb for the head light so you can go to any car parts store and pick one up I'm putting in a HID (real one with ballest and all) so if any one wants the other half let me know. As to get to the bulb you take the top two screws out of what I call the steering coulm and then remove the shinie black plasitc in front and you can get right to it.
You could theoretically purchase an HID kit, size 9003 for a car, and it will work? On top of swapping out some wires and battery?

any insight would be great.

thanks.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

I've got a H4 setup for my 110 coming in next week. They do make upgrade kits where you'll only need to buy one setup. Usually the leads on the motorcycle kit are longer for more mounting options due to space on a bike. HIDs are usually sold in 3k, 4300k, 6k and 8k ranges. 3k is yellowish, 4300k is OEM HID color, 6k blue-er and 8k blue-er than that. 12k is heading towards the color of a black light... not too good for a headlight setup. On the motorcycle kits they sometimes let you upgrade to a bi-level Xenon setup so that you don't lose your high beam function. Read all about em at xenondepot.com or xtralights.com and I'm sure there's more sites too. Those two just seem to have a good selection and I think the depot sells on ebay too. The other plus is that a Xenon setup is still using a 35W bulb like a lot of stock scooter bulbs :idea:
jasonkoscho

Lights

Post by jasonkoscho »

Please keep me posted when you get those lights.

Thanks!
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

HID came in today! Supposed to be on the 10th. Now to get in the garage :roll: Also need to get those 10g weights in there too. I'm going to post before and after type pictures at yahoo group genuinerattler... Keep ya posted.
jasonkoscho

weights

Post by jasonkoscho »

nice!
i just installed some 10 gr weights myself: topic3260.html

I love em!
Blue_Blur

Post by Blue_Blur »

louden wrote:How do the HIDs work? Irritating to other drivers? Better for you to see the road?

I'm all for the safety of them - do you still have the other bulb?
...HID works very well in my G-Max.
...YES! it is irritating to other drivers. But that also means that they can see you.
...you can see the road better, the trees, reflectorized signs "lights up" better...
...the only down fall is fog and rain. If your HID is too bright (higher "K" rating) the light bounces back and tends to blind you, like having your hi-beams on when foggy. If it fogs or rains alot in your area, get a lower "K" rating. The yellower it is the better for fog/rain.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

So aside from HID, has anyone confirmed that the 55/65 H4 bulbs will work OK without melting anything?
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

A PIAA HS1 replacement works well too. You can check out pics of stock HS1 (35w), PIAA HS1 (rated at 60w) and HID on my Rattler over at genuinerattler (yahoo group). My bike couldn't power the damn ballast for the HID (battery would be dead in an hour) so I went with the PIAA bulb. I do like the PIAA too :) The pictures are all taken with the same camera, at the same distance, of the same truck with the same moonless night conditions.
EZPZ #65
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I replaced my 35W bulb with a Sylvania 9003 55/60W Halogen and didn't really notice any difference in light intensity. So either the Sylvania is a lousy bulb or wattage is measured differently in Taiwan. Maybe one of the premium (about $50 and up a pair) 9003 halogens would be brighter.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

If it's just a straight up Sylvania, that doesn't surprise me a whole lot.

Sylvania Silverstars should throw a little more light, I've got those in the headlamps on my car and like them. I put PIAAs in the driving lamps and they are really nice too, but even more $ than the Silverstars.

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to cause the lenses to melt into a puddle of goo. Nothing would work very well after that :)
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Mine are the Silverstars... :(