Oil warning light crying wolf

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Hugo

Oil warning light crying wolf

Post by Hugo »

My oil warning light comes on almost every time I accelerate from a stop. The oil tank is just about 1/2 factory filled. Does this happen to anybody else?

I'm assuming that the sensor is triggering the light to come on as the 1/2 filled tank sloshes backwards from acceleration. I don't want to be lulled into a false sense of security if something were really to go wrong with the injection system. :cry:

From past experience with 2T injected motors (Typhoon), the light would only go on at ignition (for a few seconds to let you know the system is working) and as soon as the level reached the reserve. 8)

Another thing... How are you able to check the proper working function of the injector? If that thing ever stopped working correctly it'd be DOOMSDAY. :cry:
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Don't know how to check if it's working properly, I'm using the faith method. My light would go on all the time when accelerating too, since it's easy to see the tank I just check it every once in a while.
EZPZ #65
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

nissanman wrote:Don't know how to check if it's working properly, I'm using the faith method. My light would go on all the time when accelerating too, since it's easy to see the tank I just check it every once in a while.
Does the situation correct itself when totally filled? If so, it would be apparent that the sensor is probably raised too high in the tank.
And yes... it is a very nice feature to just be able to see the oil level by taking a simple glance. My Typhoon's oil well is solid black plastic with a narrow curved neck (impossible to see the actual level).
To avoid ALL concerns, one could just premix, but that's a total pain in the ass.
Racenut

Re: Oil warning light crying wolf

Post by Racenut »

Hugo wrote:Another thing... How are you able to check the proper working function of the injector? If that thing ever stopped working correctly it'd be DOOMSDAY. :cry:
That happened on a little 50cc dirtbike we had for my son. Required a new top end for the motor. A friend of ours does motorcycle repair and restoration and said it happens enough that he would never rely on it. He put a new top end on it for us and pulled the injection pump out and told us to premix so we never have to worry about it.

Once you know how much oil to gas you need it's not that bad. I had a bottle marked with the amount of oil needed to properly mix in a full gas can. Just fill it with gas, dump the oil in and shake it up a bit. If you fill at gas stations, just figure out how much oil you need per gallon of gas.
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

Hugo wrote:

Another thing... How are you able to check the proper working function of the injector? If that thing ever stopped working correctly it'd be DOOMSDAY. :cry:
The light comes on as the oil shifts in the tank. Don't wanna see it? Keep the tank topped off. When you turn on the ignition the red light should come on, then go off in it's self-check mode. If it does it's all good.

You have a two year warranty...stop worrying and start riding!
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

By the time it would blow up the super-ginormo cylinder kit should be out, the perfect reason to go up to 135 million cc's :lol:
EZPZ #65
KABanshee

Post by KABanshee »

Put me on the waiting list. :wink:
"Hey Little Buddy" - Jonas Grumby
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

You have a two year warranty...stop worrying and start riding![/quote]

I've owned it for less than 48 hours and was able to put on 97 miles :D :D :D :!: :!: :!:
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

Hugo wrote:You have a two year warranty...stop worrying and start riding!
I've owned it for less than 48 hours and was able to put on 97 miles :D :D :D :!: :!: :!:[/quote]

I'm almost 1500 miles and it runs better'n ever! Have fun Hugo, summer's coming.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Matt... love the new avatar!
EZPZ #65
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

nissanman wrote:Matt... love the new avatar!
It IS very cool--Glorious Black and White!!!!
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

Hugo wrote:
Thanks, took that in See Canyon California. Between Pismo Beach and Morro Bay. Rode that Rattler all over the central coast turning heads everywhere ! What a great addition to our trailer-camping. Of course everyone in the campground had questions....
KABanshee

Post by KABanshee »

mattgordon wrote:
Hugo wrote:
Thanks, took that in See Canyon California. Between Pismo Beach and Morro Bay. Rode that Rattler all over the central coast turning heads everywhere ! What a great addition to our trailer-camping. Of course everyone in the campground had questions....
Matt what type of trailer do you have? Do you have a Toy Hauler? I was wondering because you mentioned Pismo Beach.
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

KABanshee wrote:
mattgordon wrote:
Hugo wrote: It IS very cool--Glorious Black and White!!!!
Matt what type of trailer do you have? Do you have a Toy Hauler? I was wondering because you mentioned Pismo Beach.
We have a Tango travel trailer, aka the Love Shack! We load the scooters in the truck, hitch up the trailer and when we make camp, have the scooters to explore on. The Toy Hauler didn't fit our needs as well and this works out just fine.
KABanshee

Post by KABanshee »

mattgordon wrote:
KABanshee wrote:
mattgordon wrote: Thanks, took that in See Canyon California. Between Pismo Beach and Morro Bay. Rode that Rattler all over the central coast turning heads everywhere ! What a great addition to our trailer-camping. Of course everyone in the campground had questions....
We have a Tango travel trailer, aka the Love Shack! We load the scooters in the truck, hitch up the trailer and when we make camp, have the scooters to explore on. The Toy Hauler didn't fit our needs as well and this works out just fine.
I see, I brought my scoot to Winchester Bay over Memorial Weekend but didn't get a chance to ride it due to being to far out in the sand to easily get it to the hardball. I look forward to using it when we stay at campsites which are in campgrounds. We are big time campers also and enjoy the travel trailer life as well. Good stuff!!! 8)
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

KABanshee wrote:
mattgordon wrote:
KABanshee wrote: Matt what type of trailer do you have? Do you have a Toy Hauler? I was wondering because you mentioned Pismo Beach.
I see, I brought my scoot to Winchester Bay over Memorial Weekend but didn't get a chance to ride it due to being to far out in the sand to easily get it to the hardball. I look forward to using it when we stay at campsites which are in campgrounds. We are big time campers also and enjoy the travel trailer life as well. Good stuff!!! 8)
I agree. Also ex-Washingtonians, we used to tent-camp at Long Beach, Easton, and somewhere on the Hood Canal, (I want to say Taholah, but that's not it)...it's not easy getting older :oops:
KABanshee

Post by KABanshee »

mattgordon wrote:
KABanshee wrote:
mattgordon wrote: We have a Tango travel trailer, aka the Love Shack! We load the scooters in the truck, hitch up the trailer and when we make camp, have the scooters to explore on. The Toy Hauler didn't fit our needs as well and this works out just fine.
I agree. Also ex-Washingtonians, we used to tent-camp at Long Beach, Easton, and somewhere on the Hood Canal, (I want to say Taholah, but that's not it)...it's not easy getting older :oops:
Ah yes Long Beach good memories of going there as a kid in high school. Fun times going to "Rod runs to the end of the world", cruise in. You must be referring to Tahuya. Hood Canal is a great area, we like to go to Elma and catch the "World of Outlaws" about every other year. Great oysters up in that area.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

KABanshee wrote:
mattgordon wrote:
KABanshee wrote: I see, I brought my scoot to Winchester Bay over Memorial Weekend but didn't get a chance to ride it due to being to far out in the sand to easily get it to the hardball. I look forward to using it when we stay at campsites which are in campgrounds. We are big time campers also and enjoy the travel trailer life as well. Good stuff!!! 8)
Ah yes Long Beach good memories of going there as a kid in high school. Fun times going to "Rod runs to the end of the world", cruise in. You must be referring to Tahuya. Hood Canal is a great area, we like to go to Elma and catch the "World of Outlaws" about every other year. Great oysters up in that area.
Ahh... The old thread being set off course phenomenon :roll: .
"The All Is One..."