Prima vs. Buddy Hard Case

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

The Ninja

Post by The Ninja »

I took my scooter out on Sunday to go grocery shopping. It was such a blast as this was the first time I took my scooter out on a real road. Until this point I had only driven it around my apartment complex. The bike is a blast to drive. It is quicker then I excepted and handles like a dream. The brakes were the only thing that I wasn't overwhelmed with. Isn't there a simple upgrade for the brake system?

One thing I leanred as I loaded my scooter to go home I realized I need a little bit more storage. The under seat storage and gloveboc were stuff and I needed to use the hook. I am thinking some type of storage solution.

The solutions I am looking at is either the Buddy hard case or the Prima saddle bag. It seems that the Prima bag is a less expensive solution as it doesn't require the Buddy rear mount at $60. I understand that the Prima is a softcase offering less protection. Can the Prima bag be locked. Security is a huge issue for me.

Any insight would be a huge help.
poop colored buddy

Post by poop colored buddy »

the buddy case/trunk looks awesome, but there's things about it that are cheesy like the hinges, and the lock. Saddle bags just look lame to me, although prob more space to store crap in. Saddle bags hide the lines of the scoot and make it look like a pack mule. Just my opinion.
I have the scoots!
scooterdyke

Post by scooterdyke »

Do yourself a favor - don't waste your money on the Buddy top case. It is cheesy and not built to last. Fortunately, I was talked out of wasting my money on one at POC, and got a beautiful GIVI top case for just about $25 more. Add another $50 or so, and get the brake light kit to go with it. These cases are top of the line, and well worth the money. :roll:
hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

I assume that you are talking about the Prima saddle bag that straps onto the rear rack. This saddle bag does not have a lock to keep the saddle bag’s contents safe from thieves. To close the saddle bag it uses 2 leather straps that are looped through buckles. If you are concerned about someone breaking into your saddle bag then a hard case with a lock is probably a better option for you.

You mentioned that you don’t need to buy the rear rack for the Prima saddle bag. I think that you may need the rear rack because the rear rack that comes stock with the Buddy does not have a cross bar that the Prima saddle bag can strap itself to. Here is a picture of the Prima bag and notice how the saddle bag’s attachment straps attach to the cross bar of the upgraded rear rack
Attachments
RearSaddleBag.jpg
RearSaddleBag.jpg (144.44 KiB) Viewed 3541 times
Wayne
The safest rule, no ifs or buts
Just drive like everyone else is nuts! (Burma Shave)
SERIES ITALIA RIDER

Post by SERIES ITALIA RIDER »

WOW some real opinions... I have the New 2007 Genuine Scooter HardCase and LOVE it... I did hear the original year 2006 HardCase was pretty flimsy...

Love my HardCase, no problems here, Locks Great and all...

I think its all in preferance....
Attachments
oliver 009.jpg
oliver 009.jpg (60.19 KiB) Viewed 3534 times
Last edited by SERIES ITALIA RIDER on Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

You know what? I do see the resemblence!
ears/mirrors, tail/mudflap, both should be bathed twice a year, and aren't they cute!
:wink:
Attachments
PackBuddy.JPG
PackBuddy.JPG (21.56 KiB) Viewed 3532 times
The Ninja

Post by The Ninja »

Wow, this is why I love this forum. Some reall opnions from people who have used both options. One thing I love about the new hard case is the OEM look. Anyone who is into modifying cars knows that OEM+ seems to look the best.

Does anyone know the capacity of the Buddy case.

Thanks also to scooterdyke for the GIVI suggestion I will look into thnat. Where can I find it online.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I just got a genuine top case and while it doesn't seem to be the strongest piece of luggage in the world I'm pretty happy with it.

I know that a Givi case would be stronger but I really like having one that matches the Italia. For what I carry in it (rain gear, jacket liner, water bottle and the like) it's perfect. I just put anything that needs more protection in the pet carrier.

Oh- I think that Prima bag looks super great (even better than the Genuine top case) but mine is an all weather scoot and so in addition to not locking, I think the rain would ruin it.
SERIES ITALIA RIDER

Thanks also to scooterdyke for the GIVI suggestion I will look into thnat. Where can I find it online.
www.giviusa.com i'm not big on the look of the Givi as a personal preferance, not sure of the weight limits but i would guess all topcases to have a suggested limit of about 15 pounds... you can get that info from your local Dealership though... I Like the Color Match of the Genuine Case....
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

SERIES ITALIA RIDER wrote:

www.giviusa.com i'm not big on the look of the Givi as a personal preferance, not sure of the weight limits but i would guess all topcases to have a suggested limit of about 15 pounds... you can get that info from your local Dealership though... I Like the Color Match of the Genuine Case....
Wouldn't much of the weight limit be dependent on the back rack which is the same whether you use the Buddy top case or you use the Givi? I try to keep my top case load light so I don't break the rack or the plastic panels.
SERIES ITALIA RIDER

jmazza wrote: Wouldn't much of the weight limit be dependent on the back rack which is the same whether you use the Buddy top case or you use the Givi? I try to keep my top case load light so I don't break the rack or the plastic panels.
Exactly Joe... So whats the weight of the Rack?? I'm thinkin they say about 15 pounds, and it would also be the same if you didnt use a case at all and just used the rack... i know its not a lot of weight....
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

SERIES ITALIA RIDER wrote:
jmazza wrote: Wouldn't much of the weight limit be dependent on the back rack which is the same whether you use the Buddy top case or you use the Givi? I try to keep my top case load light so I don't break the rack or the plastic panels.
Exactly Joe... So whats the weight of the Rack?? I'm thinkin they say about 15 pounds, and it would also be the same if you didnt use a case at all and just used the rack... i know its not a lot of weight....
Oh yeah I wasn't thinking about how the weight of the case itself contributes...

All I know is the way those things hang off the back racks I definitely don't load my case up!!
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

my $0.02,

Genuine racks rust up quick! Top case are junk and $$$. :(

My dealer sells a cheaper, bigger/smaller sizes of a quick disconnect top case. I cant remember the brand name.

Start with a bookbag/backpack/messenger bag. I keep one under my seat. (+ a few bungie cables) Cheaper, easier to install/remove, has lower CG and better mass centralization. (better handling, cornering and stopping than a loaded top case)

I buy a week (+/-) of groceries for me and my old lady with a stock buddy and a back pack. I can hual alotta junk.
SERIES ITALIA RIDER

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:my $0.02,

Genuine racks rust up quick! Top case are junk and $$$. :(

My dealer sells a cheaper, bigger/smaller sizes of a quick disconnect top case. I cant remember the brand name.

Start with a bookbag/backpack/messenger bag. I keep one under my seat. (+ a few bungie cables) Cheaper, easier to install/remove, has lower CG and better mass centralization. (better handling, cornering and stopping than a loaded top case)

I buy a week (+/-) of groceries for me and my old lady with a stock buddy and a back pack. I can hual alotta junk.
WOW, now there is 2 pennies...

I would hate to think that the Genuine Case is "junk" i mean the Case is made by Genuine and after all they make the Scooter too...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Genuine TopCase and Scooter!!!! :D
Last edited by SERIES ITALIA RIDER on Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lisa I

Post by Lisa I »

I don't have my scooter yet (Husband says I have everything but the scoot...helmet, jacket on the way, bungee net, grip lock...), but I'm also looking at similar options as Ninja

One thing I've considered is something like the prima soft top case, but a different brand. Anyone have any opinion on this item?http://www.scooterwest.com/item_detail/ ... -TAN/1375/

I'm also wondering if I should get the front rack for extra storage space. Any opinions on that? Anyone have one and if so, do you use it often?
Shane Wilson

Post by Shane Wilson »

I have both the front rack and the prima case.

I use the front rack almost weekly to bring home the pies for pizza night.

I'm on my THIRD prima case. The metal clasps are crap.

Or at least they were crap. I've been assured by the good folks at Scooterworks that the clasps have been redesigned and my worries are over.

Here's hoping.
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

when i got my genuine topcase, there was a piece of paper inside warning to not exceed 10 lbs., but that's really a lot of stuff.

for what its worth, my first topcase flew off cuz of the crummy screws/nuts. it was locked and it hit the road numerous times, got gouged and scratched, but never popped open. :) make sure your dealer puts on the locking screws/nuts.
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
Scootress

Post by Scootress »

I just bought the Genuine top case from Ducati Seattle (not sure if it's the 2006 or the 2007) and I have to say it feels like a flimsy piece of crap. The hinges and the lock are cheap, cheap, cheap. The Buddy itself, built by Genuine, is a quality item. The top case? Not so much.

The only thing I really like about it (as The Ninja pointed out) is the OEM factor (it's now affectionately referred to as my "orange bubble-butt"), and also that it keeps things drier than the Prima would.

But I am thinking of jerry-rigging a milk crate that holds more groceries and that I can take on and off. Ghetto, I know. We'll have to see.

My two cents. :?
"Never attribute to malice what can be explained by mere stupidity."
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

I always thought it was JIMMY-RIGGING
who knew?
pamalama

LeeRoy Boy

Post by pamalama »

Leeroy.........so nice that you "take care of your old lady". Now is that your woman friend, wife, or momma? And exactly just how old is this "old lady", over 90??? "old Lady"........arghhhh makes my skin crawl you old fart!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The Genuine topcase can fit most helmets, but groceries are another matter altogether. One thing to consider is some kind of tote bag you can hang from the hook behind the legshield. Easy to move and security's not a problem.

I second the idea of a milk crate you can take on and off. The rear rack is also good for hauling other things (12 packs, boxes, anything that can be attached by bungee) and looks better than the grab rail IMHO.
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:I would hate to think that the Genuine Case is "junk" i mean the Case is made by Genuine and after all they make the Scooter too...
I think you know that they don't make the scooter—PGO does. They do make many of the accessories. Prima is another company in the Genuine/Scooterworks family (and I think there's a relationship with Cuppini as well).
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
paige

Post by paige »

I have the Givi E30 topcase with brake light kit. It is a good size (fits a helmet) positively locks (not pop open/close) and is one click removeable. The brake light kit is the real kicker. Having a light up where cages can see, and bicycles also helps me every day. I need to be able to carry stuff all day, so I want a waterproof, locking solution. I can carry books, groceries and a scooterskirt so I am ready for anything. I really enjoy being able to run errands and leave stuff in the bike instead of carrying everything around like a little pack pony.
lex

Post by lex »

I'm also considering purchasing the Prima rear bag. I thought it was waterproof. The description in 'Scooterworks' states the following:

"...Great quality heavy waterproof canvas, with a stiff inner plastic compartment to hold its shape..."
Macpherson

Post by Macpherson »

i have the prima bag. i like the looks of it, but it is not waterproof and the inner plastic support will start to sag. the only thing i really carry in there are my overpants. i'm still considering the genuine top case, mainly for aesthetics.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

FWIW, there have been no similar issues (sagging, bad latches) reported with the similar SX Appeal bags. Personally, I like the look of the Prima better (the faux-embroidered script logo looks better than SX's rudimentary shield), so hope these issues with the latches, etc. have been worked out.

I've not had the chance to compare them side-by-side, though. Might be interesting.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

I have the GIVI 370 topcase and the new design Buddy rear rack (which is a vass improvement over the original Buddy rear rack).
Givi 370 has choice of top lid color--silver or bright red.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/pr ... w/2349/69/

I did have a milk crate on previous Yamaha Razz 50cc, so I took the dimensions from that and ordered the GIVI size closest to that. A couple Givi's are close to the same size...one might be a bit taller, where the other is a bit wider. The GIVI is quality plus.

I can put my helmet inside the GIVI 370 with room to spare, or my Corazzo 5.0 with room to spare.

One thing I do like about the GIVI case is that with a push of a button after you unlock the GIVI case it will detach from the mounting plate.
Givi only comes in black except toplid options but most of the Buddy's have Black inside panel to compliment it.

The GIVI 350 comes with a different color top lid ...various colors to choose from--Candy Apple Red, Burgman Blue, Silver, etc.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/pr ... w/209/505/

The Scooter dealer where I bought my Buddy carries the Binetto Shad topcase, but I had already bought my GIVI 370 case.
http://www.cbxmanmotorcycles.com/SHAD-S ... runks.aspx

If you need the storage when you ride, add a topcase of whatever appeals to you.
The topcase or the saddlebags can be taken off easily and not a permanent fixture on the Buddy.
bjj4287

Post by bjj4287 »

did u get ur scooter from vespa of charlotte?
hi2525

Post by hi2525 »

I don't recommend the prima scooter bags. Broke with in a month. Also did not desire to help with getting fixed or anything. So go with something else. For the better just because they will last longer and also I did no major hauling in them.
Portland_Rider
Location: Free Territory of the Pacific Northwest (Kalifornia refugee)

Prima 'Milk-Crate' black metal rear basket

Post by Portland_Rider »

Are there different model length rear racks for the Buddy scooters? I had a rear rack put on and it extends backward about maybe 6" or so (+-).

Recently, I received the Prima Black Metal Basket (milk crate) that is 13" x 13" x 9 3/4". This basket is for a rear mount, I believe. The basket has 4 metal brackets attached at various increments with only 2 of them seemingly able to fall into the Buddy rear rack length for installing.

While scooter works said it would work-together, I am beginning to doubt their statement. It will probably require some creative hardware solution.

Any thoughts on this?

PR
Jrman

Post by Jrman »

paige wrote:I have the Givi E30 topcase with brake light kit. It is a good size (fits a helmet) positively locks (not pop open/close) and is one click removeable. The brake light kit is the real kicker. Having a light up where cages can see, and bicycles also helps me every day. I need to be able to carry stuff all day, so I want a waterproof, locking solution. I can carry books, groceries and a scooterskirt so I am ready for anything. I really enjoy being able to run errands and leave stuff in the bike instead of carrying everything around like a little pack pony.
I have the same Givi E30 case and I have been very happy with it. I put my helmet in it everyday at work. It also carries my laptop to and from work everyday. I also use it to carry food home for dinner. It has been through several heavy rains and has not not gotten a drop of water in it. It is also "removable" in case you want to use the flat rack in the back to carry something else. I have not got the light kit yet but there is a huge reflector in the back which I really like. I added a couple of reflectors of my own on the sides to improve side visibility.
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

Got the matching Genuine case when I bought my scoot. So far it has done a great job. Holds enough for me though it does not fit a FF helmet. Seems sturdy to me and the match to my Buddy makes it look great!.
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
MarkTur

Post by MarkTur »

I went to pick up my Genuine hard case to match the scoot...luckily I tried to fit my helmet in there before I left the store - it didn't fit (707 Full Face XL).

I ended up picking up an Aprilia case, and I really like it. It has a quick remove latch, it's definitely strong, and you can close it and secure it without having to lock it. Some cases force you to use a key to close it. It doesn't come with a light, but I just ordered from from an LED outlet. I think my total cost with the light came out to about $170 + $80 - rear rack (yeah, I paid too much at the dealer for it).

But I do recommend the Aprilia case.

I also liked the CooCase...they seem like a good deal, too, but more money.
Cya!
Mark Turkel
http://www.PalmBeachSoftware.com
http://www.BeGreenSaveTheWorld.com

Genuine Buddy 125cc
Powder Blue - (Yes, I picked "that" color cause I likes it!)

Like someone else said "Saving Gas and Sticking it to the Man!"