2006 Rattler

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Rattler2006

2006 Rattler

Post by Rattler2006 »

I have a chance to buy a new 2006 Rattler 50CC. Anyone have any comments about it?
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

What is the price of the 50?
Keep in mind that a brand new Rattler 110 is only $2700. You'll likely be much more satisfied by spending a few bucks extra for a hell of a lot more performance. :twisted:
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I just bought a new 2006 (49 miles on it & never titled) from my dealer April 11th.

I paid $1,500 (around $1,700 out the door) with full two year warranty
If you can get close to that price, I would grab it - all scooters are going up & selling out.

Since it came with the prima pipe, rollers, and stage 1 jet kit, it is a little faster than stock - I have had it to a (gps confirmed) 45mph - I bet it will do 50 but I am trying to take it easy during break in.
(if you are wondering about 50cc v. bigger ones, there are lots of other posts in the forum where this is discussed)
I dont know how fast it was "stock"

I only ride around my (hilly) town - usually under 35mph so it is a great fit for me & I am very pleased with it so far. I was originally looking for something retro styled, but I really like the Rattler style.

I have had a few problems with the digital speedo & my dealer is replacing it under warranty (next time I get it back to him) & he said he has never had a problem with the digital unit on the Rattlers before.

I have some photos up in the Rattler gallery
topic4321.html
(note: i did not like the large snake logo so I toned mine down a little - but that is my personal thing - I am not knocking it.)

So to wrap up... if most of your riding is under 35 or 40mph, its a great scooter - if you are riding 45 mph for miles to work everyday, you might want to think about something with a bigger engine.

I love mine! - hope this helps & let me know if there are any specific questions - I will do my best.
Rattler2006

Post by Rattler2006 »

$2200 total out of door. Do not want to need a motorcycle liscense and need to park with bicycles
afriendofcheese

Post by afriendofcheese »

Rattler2006 wrote:$2200 total out of door. Do not want to need a motorcycle liscense and need to park with bicycles
That's exactly why I went with the 50cc. Also, no need for plates and 3 year registration is only $5.25 (in CO, anyway)! I did get a little over zealous and kitted (Malossi cylinder and variator) mine right away too, even before I found out what it could do after break-in. Just 5 months later I've topped 2000k and don't hold off at all. I've had it at 56 downhill and have no problem getting up to 48-50 on flats. Uphill is the biggest drawback, but the mechanic is going to put lighter rollers on it (currently 7g) and says acceleration and uphill power will increase w/out loss in top end

$2000 is exactly what I paid to the cent and a free $70 Fulmer helmet was thrown in. I'm jealous of the $1700 price mentioned above!
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

afriendofcheese wrote: I'm jealous of the $1700 price mentioned above!
I posted elsewhere in the this forum about the deal... but yeah... the short story is they had been sitting on it for 18 months, were trying to move it (before the 2008 inventory arrived)
I started talking to them at the end of March & the weather here (Chicago area) was still really crappy - so I think I got an exceptional deal.
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

afriendofcheese wrote:Uphill is the biggest drawback, but the mechanic is going to put lighter rollers on it (currently 7g) and says acceleration and uphill power will increase w/out loss in top end
7's???? Ouch! That's what I took out of mine. A set of 5's or 5.5's will make a HUGE difference. I'm currently running 4.5's, but I think they're a little light.

Whatever you change to, you're really going to enjoy the improvement.
Let us know how it goes.
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
Rattler2006

Post by Rattler2006 »

What is a roller?????
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

The dealer did my rollers before I bought it - I will have to ask him what he put it -
hills were a big concern of mine in my town (the entire town is built on the side of a small river valley & "up town" is 200ft higher than "down town")
I dont have much trouble with hills on mine - but it is slower going up than down :lol:
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

That's a little round (roller) weight that's in the front part of your auto (CVT) transmission. When the engine RPMs go up it forces these "rollers" to move outward which pushes out on a plate in the variator creating a larger diameter pulley in the front. Basically that's what changes you gears. A heavier weight will move out faster giving you "top gear" sooner, possibly too early for the power of your engine. A lighter weight will take more RPMs to move into "top gear" but that allows the engine to produce more power first. Finding the right balance between the two is part personal taste and part trial and error.
EZPZ #65
Rattler2006

Post by Rattler2006 »

so given gas prices today and that i need to commute 23 miles to work per day it would be a good idea for me to buy this moped????
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Mopeds have pedals :x
EZPZ #65
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Rattler2006 wrote:so given gas prices today and that i need to commute 23 miles to work per day it would be a good idea for me to buy this moped????
I posted up a spread sheet that will help with the math....
topic4211.html

Before you buy a 50cc (& I dont want to start that mess here) what is your 23 mile commute like?
Is that 23 each way?
what kind of speed limits on the roads?
I love my 50 but I dont know if I would do a 23 mile commute if the roads were 40+ mph

I didnt buy mine to save gas... thats just an nice bonus & helps justify it to the wife.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

sssshhhhh! Don't share the secret. Rattlers are for fun first, then rational gas saving reasons second.
EZPZ #65
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

nissanman wrote:sssshhhhh! Don't share the secret. Rattlers are for fun first, then rational gas saving reasons second.
Oh yeah... if you just want to save gas.. buy a Buddy :rofl:
KABanshee

Post by KABanshee »

ScootLemont wrote:
nissanman wrote:sssshhhhh! Don't share the secret. Rattlers are for fun first, then rational gas saving reasons second.
Oh yeah... if you just want to save gas.. buy a Buddy :rofl:
Good advice :) 8) ROFL
"Hey Little Buddy" - Jonas Grumby
Rattler2006

Post by Rattler2006 »

Yes it is 23 each way. I have been using my son's (KYMCO ZX super fever) and it works just fine for me. Takes about 33 Minutes . When I drive it is only 13.2 miles each way but it still takes me 20 minutes. I have a few miles (maybe 3 each way total) that are 40+ but they are only in short spots where it is my only choice. Mostly I have 25 mph roads and some 35 mph. To far for me to bike at my age. Only other chioce that they have in stock is a 2008 rough house 50 for 2250 (light blue or green) but I do not like the look or feel of it as much as the 06 black Rattler.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Well then... that is a ride I would not have a problem doing daily on my Rattler 50.
Actually it sounds like a ride I would LIKE to take every day.
KABanshee

Post by KABanshee »

Congrat's on the scoot again it sounds like a greak trek to work. Enjoy and be safe.
"Hey Little Buddy" - Jonas Grumby
ScootLemont

Re: 2006 Rattler

Post by ScootLemont »

Rattler2006 wrote:I have a chance to buy a new 2006 Rattler 50CC. Anyone have any comments about it?
So.... have you made a decision yet?
Rattler2006

Post by Rattler2006 »

Yes, i bought it. Been going good so far but only getting 78 MPG but then i am fat so maybe that factors into it. Would like to upgrade to a 110 in a couple years if they come out with one that is black. The current one in silver looks weird by the headlights.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Rattler2006 wrote:Yes, i bought it. Been going good so far but only getting 78 MPG but then i am fat so maybe that factors into it. Would like to upgrade to a 110 in a couple years if they come out with one that is black. The current one in silver looks weird by the headlights.
congrats
My 50 only gets like 75mpg... I assume because it is modified + I am 210 lbs + I have a LOT of hills in my town + I have been running it a little fast

Then again... I am happy getting 75mpg