Advice requested on moving

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Should I take my Buddy to Europe?

Yes
30%
No
56%
Depends
15%

Total votes: 27

Ardeaem

Advice requested on moving

Post by Ardeaem »

I am moving from Missouri to the Netherlands in a few months. I have a 2007 Buddy 125 that I'd like to move. Since my employer is paying my moving costs, I figured it would be good to take my scooter along. I have a few questions:

1. If I move, will I have to pay taxes on the scooter on entering the country? Or, perhaps, on registering it?

2. Does anyone know of a reputable scooter mover, or can I just have my home mover pack it up?

3. Are the any difficulties finding parts for the Buddy in Europe?

4. Am I crazy for wanting to take it?

Thanks.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

i would take it... i dont know about the details tho
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

I suggest leaving it behind and getting a scoot once you get over. You'll have a greater selection than the US market and don't have to worry about the headache of moving it there, getting it registered, are the emissions ok, etc. You also may run into issues if you need any major repairs (not so much parts as you could get them shipped over from the US but more on the know-how side).

Good luck and have fun!...I wanted to move over in the 90's, but never got around to it...even studied Dutch for two years.

You may want a look at this?
http://www.dutchscooterforum.nl/forum/
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

How long will you be there for and will the employer pay to move all your stuff back to the US?

What scooters are available in the Netherlands?

Might want to check that the employer includes the scooter in moving you over there.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

I said no. You'll probably find the right scooter over there. Different brands and different needs... the buddy may not be right for where you're going. If it is right just get a BuBu :)
EZPZ #65
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

You can get it repaired easily, just go to your nearest PGO dealer in germany or belgium.

www.pgo.eu for germany.

www.philconv.com for belgium
louie

Post by louie »

leave it at home and check out what the Netherlands have to offer. it would be easier on your buddy and you too.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I am sure you love your buddy.... but taking a scooter from the US to Europe is like taking sand to the beach.

Remember how much fun finding the right scooter was? All the research, the test rides, etc.... you get to fall in love all over again.
& thanks to the internet, you get to start right now.

Finding a new scooter in Europe, after the move, sounds like a lot more fun than transporting your buddy & dealing with possible registration issues, taxes, repairs, etc.

+ with how hot scooters are in the US right now, you could probably sell it for a good price & hopefully get a good deal over there on a new one.
Dimitrii

Will employer only pay a return if they pay for one going?

Post by Dimitrii »

Several companies will only pay for a vehicle returning if you take one going. If you are thinking you might pick up something there that you won't want to part with and don't want to pay for the move yourself you may want to take Something over. Check out the policies of your company.

I know of several people who took a Chevy beater to Germany so they could return with a nice German car.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I was thinking take it with you since your boss is footing the bill! However everyone else seems to disagree... If you decide to leave it, I'll be happy to take it off your hands for you while you're gone. I mean, you can't trust just ANYBODY! :roll:
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Don't even think about it.

Your company may pay to move the bike, but they won't pay to get it homologated for local use. The Netherlands are part of the EU and EU vehicle pollution and noise standards are already stricter than California's. If you bring a vehicle in, you will be responsible for paying to have the vehicle tested to prove that it meets their standards. I did this with a USA-spec motorcycle in Switzerland (not part of the EU, therefore different standards) and it was not worth it.

Don't even think about it! Sorry.
Ardeaem

Post by Ardeaem »

I think on balance that I'll sell it. Thanks for the advice!
Piedmont

Post by Piedmont »

Personally, I would stock up on El Rancho, but I have no idea how well that freezes.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

I said no as well.
There are bazillion scooters for you to pick from over there. I am sure you will fall in love with at least half a dozen . . . go and start a new love affair and don't feel bad for the Buddy.

As jrsjr said, it is not worth it trying to register it. I think in Spain we have 3 months you can ride it as is and after that you either have to take it outside of the country or register it, pass emmisions, etc, etc.

You can buy used to ofset the cost as the Euro is at about $1.60. Then again, money might not be an issue.

And last, PGO's are considered junky in Spain, might be the same in the rest of Europe . . . but who cares, you have Derbi, Gilera, Peugeot, Piaggio, Vespa, etc, etc to choose from. Soooo many choices.

Send pics of what you get and your impressions of the scooter scene and have fun. :D

Good luck !
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I'm on the "no" side, shipping would likely cost as much as a better used scooter over there, and you might have problems with EU emissions regulations, etc.

Sell it (buddy resale values have never been higher,) and you'll have no problem finding something better over there with money left over.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
BGK

Post by BGK »

illnoise wrote:I'm on the "no" side, shipping would likely cost as much as a better used scooter over there, and you might have problems with EU emissions regulations, etc.

Sell it (buddy resale values have never been higher,) and you'll have no problem finding something better over there with money left over.

Bb.
Yes. I think you could find something better for less money than what you'd sell the buddy for. Many more choices for scooters and no hassle when moving.
paint_lick

Post by paint_lick »

personally, i wouldn't deal with moving it. i was there last summer and that's what got me motivated to buy a scooter. many years ago i rode one daily while living in italy, came back to the states and forgot how much fun they were. not to mention when i moved there it was a hassle moving regular stuff, can't imagine a scooter. anyway, i visited the netherlands last summer and that sparked my interest again in scooters. they're everywhere.

you'll have a lot of choices and if anything a chance to experiment with something unavailable in the states. just store it for now. you may decide later you'll want it or you can always sell it. used buddy's are in high demand... purge here and start fresh there.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I would hate to part with it, but I would sell. As others have mentioned the emissions requirements could be different. In fact, I understand the Buddy is not even strait up bubu. I do not think it would look cheap BTW. I just returned from Europe (mediterranian) and saw lots of no name plastic scooters. They are like work horses not novelties. I will say, Spain -at least where I was -had the nicest scooters though. 8)