So, how is the Mccuff when filling the Buddy's tank?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Drumwoulf

So, how is the Mccuff when filling the Buddy's tank?

Post by Drumwoulf »

Has anyone here bought the gas tank filling aide called Mccuff to use with their Buddy? How good (or not?) does it work?

http://www.mccuff.com/
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Haven't used it, seen it or heard of it. Probably wouldn't buy one either. Filling the tank has never been a problem for me.

I do love the "Dancing Queen" playing in the background while he fills his tank in the video.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Orange Guy wrote:I do love the "Dancing Queen" playing in the background while he fills his tank in the video.
And Howard Jones as he pulls up. Wonder if he paid ASCAP fees for using those? :)

This probably works as advertised—so simple we all should have thought of it first. That said, I don't think this is a $20 problem. Also: "Special Secret Rubber Formula Compound?" Riiiiggghhhhttt. "Patented vortex design?" Uh huh. Sure. Whatever.

You could probably DIY one of these with common household items.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

It was designed with the same technology they use on the space shuttle. :P
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

ericalm wrote:You could probably DIY one of these with common household items.
Bet so. Pretty sure I've seen some similar-looking pieces in the plumbing section of the DIY mega-boxes.
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

I bet that canvas bag with the "velcro system" gets pretty gassy after a few uses...

(unless the secret rubber compound formula is one that absorbs and converts fuel to rose petals!)
ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

isn't that called a funnel in most parts of the country?
Heroism is being scared as hell and saddling up anyways - John Wayne
brape

Post by brape »

Its not so much a funnel as it is 2 inches of pipe to hold the nozzle farther out of the tank.
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

ERik3tb wrote:isn't that called a funnel in most parts of the country?
:lol:

It reminds me of a bung.

I can see its merits, but there are lots of other handy tools to carry around and I have to draw the line somewhere.

kaz
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

I have one and have not used it on the buddy but have on my MP3. It does what it says. You won't overfill or under fill which is kinda nice. I've splashed more than my share of gas while fueling up. This eliminates that. And it allows you to fill all the way up, but really you're probably only talking a few ounces difference.

The thing I like about it is I just have to touch the "puck", not the rubber seal around the gas nozzle. And it prevents drips. It just makes filling up a bit cleaner. $20 cleaner? I'll leave that up to you.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

schlagle wrote:I have one and have not used it on the buddy but have on my MP3.
Well, once you've bought the MP3, what's another $20? :)

I'd be happy with a MP3 500.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

I'd be happy with a MP3 500.
Same here.

How does that monster ride? Are you able to get in/out of places without spending 20 minutes answering questions from people?

I love that ride . . . time to get a powerball ticket ! :D
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

EP_scoot wrote: How does that monster ride? Are you able to get in/out of places without spending 20 minutes answering questions from people?

I love that ride . . . time to get a powerball ticket ! :D
Nope, plan on 20 minutes each stop to talk to people. If I'm in a hurry, being a big guy, I can kinda look gruff and people will stay away though.

The ride is amazing. It is just rock solid. And you don't have to worry about deep grooves in the road or holes as you always have one front wheel tracking solid.

I got on my wife's Buddy the other day, first time in 2 weeks, and about flipped out at how wobbly I was. I actually have to drive the Buddy. Espy (name for my mp3) just takes you on a ride.
TwistedRoads

McCuff

Post by TwistedRoads »

I've had a mccuff since the last Long Beach show and it works. $20 bucks isn't anything with the price of a gallon at $4.79 (today).

Also I tried making my own before i bought this and this isn't rubber. Rubber melts when in contact with fuel.

it also came with a well made bag that carries it anywhere. So i don't think the price can be the issue. Heck a pizza cost $20 bucks nowadays..

However try to make your own pizza at home and you end up spending like $40 bucks for all the ingredients :-)

Same thing here, buy tape, pipe, whatever, gas to get to the hardware store and your time you end up spending more than just buying the darn thing.

Anyhow, two thumbs up on this, it works as advertised.

Jason
Sunil

Post by Sunil »

dont waste your money. 20 bucks is 20 bucks. I have never had any trouble filling the buddy. the pump always stops at the right time. And if you spend 40 dollars making a pizza then you sir are a retard.
Scoot first, ask questions later.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Sunil wrote:dont waste your money. 20 bucks is 20 bucks. I have never had any trouble filling the buddy. the pump always stops at the right time. And if you spend 40 dollars making a pizza then you sir are a retard.
No name calling, please. Maybe he's using truffles and top-grade meats.

I never thought this would be such a hot topic.

People can spend their $20 however they please, whether they're wasting it (in someone else's opinion) or not. Lord knows I can waste $20 in a matter of days on things far less useful. The product works, we know that much. So if anyone feels like this is $20 worth of hassle in their lives—here's the solution!
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

I've made a $40 pizza before :x and you can't have any! More pizza for this handicapped person. Are a wife and two kids considered a handicap now :lol:
EZPZ #65
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

I thought McCuff was the crime dog...or was that McGuff.

http://www.mcgruff.org/
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

madtolive

Post by madtolive »

the last couple of posts in this thread have really cracked me up.

nissanman - ask your wife is she makes you handicapped. maybe she won't be offended. :wink:

and the crime dog was McGruff - "help take a bite of out crime". when i was very young kid i would write him letters...i thought he was a real "person", a big talking dog in a trench coat who keeps kids safe seemed credible to me at 6 years old, i guess. anyway, i wrote him to say he should come to my ghetto-ass neighborhood to kick out the gang members. bastard never showed. :( c'est la vie.
sunil: "And if you spend 40 dollars making a pizza then you sir are a retard."
ericalm: "No name calling, please. Maybe he's using truffles and top-grade meats."
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

If the goal of this thing is to keep your scooter from getting gas all over it and smelling like gas, I don't see how carrying around a gas-covered piece of plastic will help. Or why that thing would work any better than a shop rag.

Also, don't keep a gas-soaked shop rag (or that thing) in your pet carrier if you keep your helmet under there, you don't need gas vapors to soak into your helmet lining.

Bb,
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

illnoise wrote: Also, don't keep a gas-soaked shop rag (or that thing) in your pet carrier if you keep your helmet under there, you don't need gas vapors to soak into your helmet lining.

Bb,
Need? Probably not. Want? Well sometimes you just wanna quick buzz...

just kidding kids! Don't do drugs. And stay in school. And don't talk to strangers, no matter how cool their scooter looks :D
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

madtolive wrote:i thought he was a real "person", a big talking dog in a trench coat who keeps kids safe seemed credible to me at .
Strange. Now days I tend to think the opposite. Most men (or dogs for that matter) in trench coats should be kept away from kids. :rofl:
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

illnoise wrote:If the goal of this thing is to keep your scooter from getting gas all over it and smelling like gas, I don't see how carrying around a gas-covered piece of plastic will help. Or why that thing would work any better than a shop rag.
Also, don't keep a gas-soaked shop rag (or that thing) in your pet carrier if you keep your helmet under there, you don't need gas vapors to soak into your helmet lining.
Bb,
I bought one to use on my Vespa GT200. After it comes I'll also try it on my Buddy and let y'all know how it works, okay?
I bought it because I find it a pain inna butt to always be peeling back that gas nozzle's rubber boot to get gas into a scoot's tank, and then having to look into the tank to see if it's full or if the thing cut-off too quickly... :?
Supposedly with this cuff you simply stick it on the gas nozzle (making sure you don't cover the cut-off indicator tiny hole in the side of it), plop the whole thing down into the gas tank hole, and it will fill right up to the top and cut-off automatically w/o any spilling. There's also a sturdy bag provided for storage, so fumes should not get into the underseat area if you store the cuff in there...

It sounds like a good thing for me. And while I don't waste my money, I'm not a cheapskate either; and this sounds like a worthy test for only a miniscule expenditure... :lol: ($20 is a lot? Today??) :roll:

In any case, what depresses me most about many of the good forums I'm on is the tendency for people to jump in and prejudge things before they have any real knowledge of them! :P -Some famous philsopher once wrote this: "There is one principal, if practiced dilligently, will never fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. And that principal is contempt prior to investigation..!" :cry:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Drumwoulf wrote:$20 is a lot? Today??
the difference between $3.80 gas and $4.00 gas is only $3 per 15-gallon tank, and that was apparently enough to send America into a scooter-buying frenzy. No one seems to mind paying $4 for a coffee though.

Drumwoulf wrote: In any case, what depresses me most about many of the good forums I'm on is the tendency for people to jump in and prejudge things before they have any real knowledge of them! :P -Some famous philsopher once wrote this: "There is one principal, if practiced dilligently, will never fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. And that principal is contempt prior to investigation..!" :cry:
I dunno, I've been riding scooters for 12+ years and I've dribbled some gas on my scooter a couple times, but I'd hardly call it a serious problem and I don't need to see that thing in person to know that I wouldn't give up storage space or $20 for it. And the hyperbole of the website just makes it more suspect. If you like it, that's great, it's probably helpful and I don't deny it does what it says it does.

I think it was worthwhile to point out that it was likely to get gas all over it and make your stuff smell, (Tell me if I'm wrong about that after you try it) and that gas vapors around your helmet are dangerous.

Bb.
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

illnoise wrote: I think it was worthwhile to point out that it was likely to get gas all over it and make your stuff smell, (Tell me if I'm wrong about that after you try it) and that gas vapors around your helmet are dangerous.

Bb.
I think you're overstating this a bit. It's non-porous so it doesn't really get "wet". At most the part that sticks into the tank might come out with a drop or two on it and can basically be tapped on the ground to remove that little bit. But I don't even tap it. I just shove it in its bag and back into the scooter.

The case is also lined to prevent any moisture that might be on there seeping through the case.

That being said, if you pull out the puck and put it right to your nose you will smell gas and the fumes of whatever it's made of. But it will not make your trunk smell like gas. Your helmet is more likely to smell like the plastic your trunk is made of than gas.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

So there! I'm wrong, for the 450,938th time. : )

Bb.
Sunil

Post by Sunil »

ericalm wrote: No name calling, please. Maybe he's using truffles and top-grade meats.

I never thought this would be such a hot topic.
Sorry, that was rude of me, but Ill bet you a $40 truffle and lobster pizza that "Twisted Roads" works for Mccuff.
Scoot first, ask questions later.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

illnoise wrote:
Drumwoulf wrote:$20 is a lot? Today??
the difference between $3.80 gas and $4.00 gas is only $3 per 15-gallon tank, and that was apparently enough to send America into a scooter-buying frenzy. No one seems to mind paying $4 for a coffee though.

Drumwoulf wrote: In any case, what depresses me most about many of the good forums I'm on is the tendency for people to jump in and prejudge things before they have any real knowledge of them! :P -Some famous philsopher once wrote this: "There is one principal, if practiced dilligently, will never fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. And that principal is contempt prior to investigation..!" :cry:
I dunno, I've been riding scooters for 12+ years and I've dribbled some gas on my scooter a couple times, but I'd hardly call it a serious problem and I don't need to see that thing in person to know that I wouldn't give up storage space or $20 for it. And the hyperbole of the website just makes it more suspect. If you like it, that's great, it's probably helpful and I don't deny it does what it says it does.
I think it was worthwhile to point out that it was likely to get gas all over it and make your stuff smell, (Tell me if I'm wrong about that after you try it) and that gas vapors around your helmet are dangerous.
Bb.
I can agree with much of what you're saying here.... The only thing is that I'm not you.
And I never put my lid in the pet carrier but instead always hook it on the helmet nub under the seat using a metal extension!
So what I might find to be a great convienence, to you might be only a great annoyance...
But neither of us will know until the thing is tried out and reported on, IMO.
Which I will do, honestly, later. (Me, I don't work for ANYONE but myself!) :twisted:

I also apologize to the forum for belittling the spending of $20; it seems I've forgotten
what it was like to be so broke that that amount was important! (And I have been that broke, I can assure you!) 8)

But regardless of how much better off I may be now (and it's not a great deal better, either),
I still would NEVER spend $4 for a cuppa! (Not when it might better be used for scooter trash...) :lol:
Last edited by Drumwoulf on Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

illnoise wrote:So there! I'm wrong, for the 450,938th time. : )
Hey, I was wrong once. It was back in '69. I thought that I had made a mistake, but I was wrong.... :cry:
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

madtolive wrote:and the crime dog was McGruff - "help take a bite of out crime". when i was very young kid i would write him letters...i thought he was a real "person", a big talking dog in a trench coat who keeps kids safe seemed credible to me at 6 years old, i guess. anyway, i wrote him to say he should come to my ghetto-ass neighborhood to kick out the gang members. bastard never showed. :( c'est la vie.
Should have called the A-Team.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

madtolive wrote:the last couple of posts in this thread have really cracked me up.

nissanman - ask your wife is she makes you handicapped. maybe she won't be offended. :wink:

and the crime dog was McGruff - "help take a bite of out crime". when i was very young kid i would write him letters...i thought he was a real "person", a big talking dog in a trench coat who keeps kids safe seemed credible to me at 6 years old, i guess. anyway, i wrote him to say he should come to my ghetto-ass neighborhood to kick out the gang members. bastard never showed. :( c'est la vie.
You're lucky! He came into my neighborhood and that damn fool mutt bit all the wrong people!
(We had to put him down...) :cry:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
sotied

Post by sotied »

ericalm wrote: Lord knows I can waste $20 in a matter of days on things far less useful. The product works, we know that much. So if anyone feels like this is $20 worth of hassle in their lives—here's the solution!
It takes you DAYS to waste $20. Let me show you how it's done. I have wasted $20 faster than it takes most people to say Hamilton or whoever is on the $20. I never have one long enough to find out.
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

You're lucky! He came into my neighborhood and that damn fool mutt bit all the wrong people!
(We had to put him down...
maybe thats why he never made it into my part of town. :shock:
sunil: "And if you spend 40 dollars making a pizza then you sir are a retard."
ericalm: "No name calling, please. Maybe he's using truffles and top-grade meats."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

sotied wrote:
ericalm wrote: Lord knows I can waste $20 in a matter of days on things far less useful. The product works, we know that much. So if anyone feels like this is $20 worth of hassle in their lives—here's the solution!
It takes you DAYS to waste $20. Let me show you how it's done. I have wasted $20 faster than it takes most people to say Hamilton or whoever is on the $20. I never have one long enough to find out.
Oh, I said "days" as a way of downplaying my pathological impulse buying and inability to resist consumerist urges. And because my monthly comic book tab is out of control.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I am pretty sure that if I bought one of these, the neighbor kid would steal it & either add 3 foot of hose or 4 inches of tubing & a screen.
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

ScootLemont wrote:I am pretty sure that if I bought one of these, the neighbor kid would steal it & either add 3 foot of hose or 4 inches of tubing & a screen.

:rofl: I almost shot wine out of my nose when I read that. I remember those days well.... hmm, actually, not so well
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Spotted at HarborFreight... Looks kinda like one of these things, only for $7.

nissanman

Post by nissanman »

That's like saying a mushroom kinda looks like a truffle :lol:
EZPZ #65
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

or a toadstool looks like a morel.....
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Drumwoulf:

Guess what I spilled all over my Blur this morning!

Although the McGruff wouldn'ta helped, some jag left the pump locked open before me and a bunch shot out before it unlocked itself.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

hey eric,

Those clearly dont have the extra $13 in "vortex technology" duh... :roll:
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

Digging up an old thread...

I bought the MCcuff a while back for my Vespa GTS - and it failed in that application due to the design of the Vespa gas filler.

So I put it away and did not think much about it. Until I recently acquired a Buddy BJ. Now I was having trouble filling that bike, the gas nozzles I use in LA always shut off way too soon, and for me it was hard to hold up the nozzle bellows and pump and see what was going in.

Then I remembered I had a McCuff, dug it out of the garage and tried it. Works perfectly. Some people complain about the price, but for me what price convenience? Each fill up is a one time deal, clicks off when the tank is full, that's it. No spillage. No fiddling. Done.
And it also works great on my MP3 500! That bike too would click off the pump before the tank was full, and trying to look into its filler hole was like trying to look into a black hole.

So there you have it - no good for Vespas, very good for Buddys.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Last edited by Syd on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I wouldn't use one of these simply because with it on I can't see inside the tank while filling. Since with the Buddy you need to leave an inch to spare, I want to see inside the tank while I'm filling up so I know when to stop. When I hold back the vapor sleeve with a piece of paper towel I can easily do this. With the amazing new invention, McCuff, not so much.

But I did enjoy the video :lol: "... AMAZING new invention...". Classic.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:I wouldn't use one of these simply because with it on I can't see inside the tank while filling. Since with the Buddy you need to leave an inch to spare, I want to see inside the tank while I'm filling up so I know when to stop. When I hold back the vapor sleeve with a piece of paper towel I can easily do this. With the amazing new invention, McCuff, not so much.

Pliz be elaborating on the 'inch to spare'. It fills it up to just under the metal plate. Not touching it. The point of it is you do not need to see inside of the tank to see when to stop.
This miraculous invention (!) does all the dirty work for you.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

desmolicious wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:I wouldn't use one of these simply because with it on I can't see inside the tank while filling. Since with the Buddy you need to leave an inch to spare, I want to see inside the tank while I'm filling up so I know when to stop. When I hold back the vapor sleeve with a piece of paper towel I can easily do this. With the amazing new invention, McCuff, not so much.

Pliz be elaborating on the 'inch to spare'. It fills it up to just under the metal plate. Not touching it. The point of it is you do not need to see inside of the tank to see when to stop.
This miraculous invention (!) does all the dirty work for you.
If I fill up my Buddy to what is commonly considered "the top" the scooter will bog down and actually drip gas out the right side until the fuel level is reduced. When filling up a Buddy, an inch spare needs to be left to avoid this. But beyond this issue, I sure don't want to carry around a gas soaked smelly plastic thing everywhere I go when for the 15 seconds a week when I am actually gassing up, I can with greater ease just pull back the vapor sleeve using a paper towel and be done. Easy Peesy.

beastmaster

Post by beastmaster »

i dont no about you but i hate getting gas spilled every were,and that happens quite frequently , and 20 bucks to prevent gas spills the rest of my life , yea ill take it , ex-specially since im gona go to ebay right now and get it for ten
meybe im in the minority but but small improvements that make my life a little easy, keep them coming!!
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Maybe I'm just unusually gifted, but I can count the times I've spilled a few drops of gas on one hand. And that's over nearly 4 years.

jijifer

Post by jijifer »

I use the mcguff every time. It's faster and never over fills. Skootz, do you have that built in ledge that's an inch down in your tank? The McGuff actually even stops a little short so I have to peek under it after the first stop to see if I need more.

I found pulling back the collars to pump the gas to me more messy and inconsistent than mcguff experience. Some collar designs more friendly than others.

I've never over filled using the Mcguff. I really dig it and it helps keep harmful vapors out of our lungs!