Pink: The Gateway Color

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

GatsbyGirl

Pink: The Gateway Color

Post by GatsbyGirl »

So, I've been noticing something while riding around and was wondering if any of the other pink Buddy owners have seen something similar.

Usually it's a tween girl. Ericalm and I will drive by and they'll notice his blue scooter but not really register it. Then they'll see my pink one and they perk up. They get this spark in their eye and a sly look that says, "One day, I'm going to have one of those." And suddenly you're looking at this future badass in the form of a normal 12-year-old.

Now, pink is a color that I hated in my teens and early 20s (my mother still talks about the time she brought home pink razors from the store and I sneered, "Don't ever buy me anything pink") that I've re-embraced in the past few years.

What I think I'm seeing here though is that pink may be a gateway color, especially for young girls. It makes the scooter seem accessible and fun and something that they might enjoy. And, really, what better girl power message is there?
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

MMM interessting. I know I am not a "pink person" never have been. ever. But I LOVE the pink buddy. I just worried on my cynical, jaded days how I would look on a sweet pink Bud. weird thing is I have a pink helmet, got it for visability and as of today a pink winter riding coat. Probably the only thing pink in my whole wardrobe. but to answer the question, yes I think the pink is a gateway scooter drug.
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

I totally agree. I had my hubby's cream one out the other day(mine's in the shop) and hardly got a glance. But get me out on "Tink" and everybody smiles :D
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

dahuffy wrote:I totally agree. I had my hubby's cream one out the other day(mine's in the shop) and hardly got a glance. But get me out on "Tink" and everybody smiles :D
of course if are stacked, nobody's lookin' at the scooter :twisted:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

On my rides with GatsbyGirl (a well-formed if not "stacked" woman), I've observed a lot girls of many ages stopping to look and often pointing. This may also have something to do with the leopard-print helmet and the brightly-hued Andy Warhol Marilyn messenger bag she carries.

I got a lot of attention when I rode the pink rocket (that's what I call the Buddy, jeez), too. I don't think it was the same thing.
tinalee123

Post by tinalee123 »

You know what they say about pink..."it's the new black"...uh-huh, uh-huh 8)
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

tinalee123 wrote:You know what they say about pink..."it's the new black"...uh-huh, uh-huh 8)
What does that make the old black?? Hopefully not pink! :wink:
CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl »

I find that interesting Gatsby. I stopped liking pink around 8 years old, and started liking blues then (think I wanted to be a tom boy but it could have been because I had two brothers and no sisters). But just this year I started liking hot pink things (although I still won’t wear a solid pink I'll buy things that have a hint of it).

I think it's adorable that little girls look up to ladies riding them. I see at least 5 ladies riding a vespa or buddy in Financial district a day. In other areas of SF I have noticed young girls stop what they are doing if they see a lady on a scooter pass by them. The odd thing about this is that I never see them talk about it to anyone, they just look like they are in a trance (deep in thought) then they go back to what they were doing. heh.
tinalee123

Post by tinalee123 »

vitaminC wrote:What does that make the old black?? Hopefully not pink! :wink:
...classic! 8)
GatsbyGirl

Post by GatsbyGirl »

tinalee123 wrote:You know what they say about pink..."it's the new black"...uh-huh, uh-huh 8)
That's so funny. I'm sitting here watching "America's Next Top Model" and on a giant Tyra Banks/magazine cover/headboard across her "enhanced" bosom it says just that: "Pink is the new black."

And if Tyra says it, it must be true.