Blur break-in

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

beelzebubbles

Blur break-in

Post by beelzebubbles »

I just got a 2007 Blur (the version without the orange - although if they had an orange model I'd probably have snapped it, I like loud colors for road safety) and am psyched about it.

I really like my Piaggio BV 500 for clear stretches of road but in San Francisco there isn't too much of that and I don't have any reason to get out of the city all that much. The BV 500 jumps to 30-40 mph very quickly and I have to lay off the throttle a lot. Also, having big wheels and big weight, it has a motorcycle-ish feel - which is not bad, per se - which for me means it feels very stable on the road, and I have to be more precise on braking and turning. With the BV500 I do have the fun of passing most scooterists and unsuspecting motorcyclists, but I don't see any point or safety in being some kind of a street racer. On the other hand, I'm sure we all would like to have some of that racers' rush without necessarily having to take racers' risks on the road. I wanted something for the city streets where going at street-legal (more or less :) ) speeds feels more fun - and lighter weight and smaller wheels help a lot, which is the big draw of scooters for me.

I used to have a Vespa GT 200 which was my first scoot, and I did miss the flickability and the bigger pet carrier compared to the BV500. But when I finally decided to get a new scoot (I'm keeping the BV500 for longer trips and just for change of pace, at least for now - it's been a good ride for me, and I've rode it in conditions I wouldn't think safe on a Vespa's small wheels, like after hail), I wanted something with a more modern, even sportier, design. I think all of us Blur fans would not outright dismiss the notion that the Blur is, in the US market, the sportiest and most modern looking in its cc class and weight.

Now that I got the Blur I'm having a lot of fun on the streets with it. I got it on a Saturday and rode it in the evening when people are too busy thinking about parties to think about the road they're driving on - so I got to confirm first-hand what great brakes the Blur has!

So after this long-winded introduction I'm getting around to the question I actually have - the break-in period for the Blur. How do you get through it?

In my manual it interchanges "kilometers" with "miles" without distinction (e.g., along the lines of "It is necessary to break in the scooter for the first 1000km. For the first 100 miles...") so I don't know which units to take seriously. Also, considering that the Blur has a tachometer I find it strange that it doesn't mention it at all in relation to the break-in - it just says things like "don't go past 1/2 throttle for too long" - I can't really tell where's the 1/2 way point on the throttle while riding, really, it seems like more or less 1/2 way if I'm not either going WOT or just barely feeding the engine. Anyway, wouldn't the tach be a more accurate gauge of how much you're stressing the engine? I mean I don't know how well I'm protecting the engine during the break-in period when the instructions for it seem so general and not particularly deeply considered.

I got the scoot on Saturday just before the store closed and it's not open until Tuesday, so I'll ask the dealer when I get the chance. But I figured I might as well ask the Blur community about this first. Thanks for any replies!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Blur break-in

Post by jrsjr »

beelzebubbles wrote:I just got a 2007 Blur (the version without the orange - although if they had an orange model I'd probably have snapped it, I like loud colors for road safety) and am psyched about it.

I really like my Piaggio BV 500 for clear stretches of road but in San Francisco there isn't too much of that and I don't have any reason to get out of the city all that much. The BV 500 jumps to 30-40 mph very quickly and I have to lay off the throttle a lot. Also, having big wheels and big weight, it has a motorcycle-ish feel - which is not bad, per se - which for me means it feels very stable on the road, and I have to be more precise on braking and turning. With the BV500 I do have the fun of passing most scooterists and unsuspecting motorcyclists, but I don't see any point or safety in being some kind of a street racer. On the other hand, I'm sure we all would like to have some of that racers' rush without necessarily having to take racers' risks on the road. I wanted something for the city streets where going at street-legal (more or less :) ) speeds feels more fun - and lighter weight and smaller wheels help a lot, which is the big draw of scooters for me.

I used to have a Vespa GT 200 which was my first scoot, and I did miss the flickability and the bigger pet carrier compared to the BV500. But when I finally decided to get a new scoot (I'm keeping the BV500 for longer trips and just for change of pace, at least for now - it's been a good ride for me, and I've rode it in conditions I wouldn't think safe on a Vespa's small wheels, like after hail), I wanted something with a more modern, even sportier, design. I think all of us Blur fans would not outright dismiss the notion that the Blur is, in the US market, the sportiest and most modern looking in its cc class and weight.

Now that I got the Blur I'm having a lot of fun on the streets with it. I got it on a Saturday and rode it in the evening when people are too busy thinking about parties to think about the road they're driving on - so I got to confirm first-hand what great brakes the Blur has!
Nice intro! I've had some very similar experiences, had a GT200L and Blur, no BV500, though. I, too, liked the orange Blur for visibility.
beelzebubbles wrote:So after this long-winded introduction I'm getting around to the question I actually have - the break-in period for the Blur. How do you get through it?
Try reading this thread, "Blur 500 mile oil change."

...and, um, Welcome to Modern Buddy, where we sneak off behind the bleachers and talk about the Blur. :wink:
BlueMark

Blur Breakin'

Post by BlueMark »

Half throttle? What the heck is that?

There are so many different 'expert' opinions on proper break in. The one I take least seriously is the 'never go past half throttle' one. C'mon ... who are they kidding.

I tend more towards the 'thrash it good' theory, because that is what you are going to do anyway.

I'm not talking of being stupid, especially if you are a new rider. I was learning my limits as well as the bikes, so in truth the 'thrashing' was pretty conservative - but I definitely took it to full throttle as a matter of course. I went all different speeds and gave it all kinds of throttle, never for long unending periods at one setting (which would have been WOT). I would give the engine (and myself) a rest after an hour of riding. I watched the fluids like a hawk - or like some other hyper aware animal that watches fluids. Kept an eye and ear out for anything loose, rattling, or otherwise scary.

I don't know how modern the Blur engine is, but it is definitely made in a modern factory to close tolerances, so I don't believe you need to baby it. Break-in DID have a major effect on the engine - max RPM went from about 7250 out the door to just shy of 8000 after the first oil change.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

beelzebubbles wrote:In my manual it interchanges "kilometers" with "miles" without distinction (e.g., along the lines of "It is necessary to break in the scooter for the first 1000km. For the first 100 miles...") so I don't know which units to take seriously.
We have no idea what units the odometer shows. Genuine claims they're miles but they seem closer to kilos. GPS tests have indicated they're not either (though *fairly* close to kilos). More confusingly, the translation of the manual seems like they just changed the word "kilos" to "miles" without doing the math to change the numbers.

We've taken to calling them "Blur Distance Units" or BDU's. I've talked to some dealers that have started using that term, it's catching on!

I think the sticker on the headset said "500km" and the manual says 500miles, I went with 500 BDUs for my first service.

As far as breaking it in, I'd say just 'take it easy,' don't go on long trips on hot days, don't rev the crap out of it, avoid full throttle (especially long stretches) for the first couple hundred BDUs, and try to vary your throttle as much as possible, that worked fine for me.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
beelzebubbles

Post by beelzebubbles »

jrsjr wrote:
...and, um, Welcome to Modern Buddy, where we sneak off behind the bleachers and talk about the Blur. :wink:
Thanks John. BTW, were you the one who rode the Blur on the Canonball? If so, how did you break yours in before the cross-country ride?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

beelzebubbles wrote:Thanks John. BTW, were you the one who rode the Blur on the Canonball? If so, how did you break yours in before the cross-country ride?
Yeah, that was me. I flew into Portland on Thursday, picked up the Blur Friday morning and rode the ^%$#@! out of it all day Friday in Portland traffic until way after dark when I was too tired to ride any further. Saturday morning, I rode it to the dealer for its first service and headed out on the Cannonball as soon as they were done.

Just one of the 1,000,000 things that didn't go quite according to plan that weekend - I'm a terrible navigator, so when I first picked up the Blur, I took a passenger with me who offered to navigate to P-Town Scooters (meetup point for the Cannonball riders). The very first thing this guy did was direct me onto the Interstate; two-up, warm day, Interstate, spanking new motor. Arrgh! I was just following this guy's directions without thinking hard about it until I realized I was rolling down the onramp to the Interstate. What a disaster! Honestly, I had totally repressed this memory until just now. :shock:

I guess my story isn't going to get me into the Blur engine break-in hall of fame, or anything, is it? :wink:
beelzebubbles

Post by beelzebubbles »

Here's an update - I asked my dealer how I should break my Blur in, and he said: "Beat the sh*t out of it!"

Not what I expected, so he provided me with some info, which was a hard copy of this page: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

So John, according to this article, you were in fact *optimally* breaking in your Blur :)
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

As the site itself says, that information is controversial.

He may be right, but you have to wonder how everyone else has been wrong for the last 100 years. Maybe the tech has changed, maybe they were wrong all along, I dunno.

I figure it's not as important as it used to be, but I also want my warranty to be valid. If my engine blows up on the interstate on the way home from the dealer, they're going to be skeptical that I was following the break in instructions, heh. If your DEALER told you that, then hey, cool, but he better be willing to stand by the warranty. : )
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
beelzebubbles

Post by beelzebubbles »

illnoise wrote:As the site itself says, that information is controversial.

He may be right, but you have to wonder how everyone else has been wrong for the last 100 years. Maybe the tech has changed, maybe they were wrong all along, I dunno.

I figure it's not as important as it used to be, but I also want my warranty to be valid. If my engine blows up on the interstate on the way home from the dealer, they're going to be skeptical that I was following the break in instructions, heh. If your DEALER told you that, then hey, cool, but he better be willing to stand by the warranty. : )
Not that I actually know anything about this - but according to the article, essentially the dictum of "go easy on the engine during the break-in" applied to old engines, not to the current modern manufactured engines. (According to the article, a soft break-in is actually *worse* for your engine, and much of breaking in occurs in the first few miles - I kind of wish I read this before I plugged the first 100 miles on my Blur as gently as I could). Also, proper warm-up is still a must.
DarkHorse

Has anyone tried this method of "breaking-in" on a

Post by DarkHorse »

I will be picking up my new '07 Blur from the dealership on June 20th, and now after reading this article, I'm not sure which method is gonna be best. As foreseen, when asked about the best way to break-in my new scooter, the dealer said to ride it anywhere from "light" to normal", with no long WOT for the first 500 miles, then bring it in for the first oil change. Completely opposite than this article. Optimal power is a must for me. I plan on doing several modifications & upgrades this winter, including a high performance exhaust, clutch, clutch springs, cold air intake, smaller variator roller weights, Kevlar belt...etc. This controversial break-in method, at least in print, seems like the way to go. Understandably, after spending $3500 on a new scooter, I'm hesitant of messing up my new investment. Has anyone had any experience in this method, Blur or otherwise, and if so, what was the outcome? I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanx guys!
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

:shock: based on his approach I'm callin my dealer and getting the oil changed before I pick up my new scoot next week - there's 46 BDUs on the ODO so the initial shaving is done.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I'd say it takes much longer than 46 bdu's to do the first service, atleast 200-500 miles.
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

jfrost2 wrote:I'd say it takes much longer than 46 bdu's to do the first service, atleast 200-500 miles.
not asking for a first service - just a quick oil change so I am starting fresh. besides I have no idea how long it has been sitting with 46 bdu's
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Ah I see, that is true, they recommend oil to be changed every 3 months or the mileage you're supposed to get it done at.
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

I think that times are a factor in break-in method - i/e modern engines vs. engines 20 years ago, but also the fact that the Blur is a 4-stroke makes a difference. A 2-stroke engine like what's in the Stella, at least according to Philip McCaleb, MUST be broken in gently or it'll have a short life. And ultimately proper break in is about engine longevity, not power. Power will play into it, but the most tangible result of how you break the engine in will be whether or not its one of those scooter motors that simply runs forever or not.

I subscribe to the "controversial" method, but only after reading that information. It makes sense, especially given the cylinder scoring he's talking about. Changing the oil frequently through that process (and gear oil as well) is definitely key. When I did my first gear oil change, the metal content made it look like neon green metal flake hot rod paint. It was so shiny! The subsequent change was less so, but it is somewhat disturbing how gear oil goes in blood red and comes out neon green! :shock:

So with my Blur, I put it through it's work outs during break in, careful to always vary the load and the RPMs and now 2000 BDUs later it just runs like top. We'll see in the long run what happens, but I'm confident it'll just go pretty much forever.
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
Davek

Post by Davek »

Hey beelzebubbles, congrats on the Blur.. I think you're the first 07 Blur owner in SF, at least on this forum. I didn't know that SF Scooter Centre had any Blurs left although maybe he ordered one of the last ones and got it in the last few weeks.