is this bad?

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Knox

is this bad?

Post by Knox »

I've had my roughhouse for about a week, and have found oil on my garage floor. Looking under the bike i see a leak of some kind. I am so new with this that I don't know what it is. I added a pic to show where the oil is leaking. Is this normal? Dangerous? Something i can fix real quick with a wrench? I appreciate the help offered here:)
Attachments
leak2.jpg
leak2.jpg (30.23 KiB) Viewed 2290 times
leak1.jpg
leak1.jpg (30.96 KiB) Viewed 2290 times
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

That's your exhaust... don't worry about it. Some oil will make it to your exhaust. It also happens to be the lowest part of the motor there so any oil dripping will find it's way there. As long as the ammount isn't excessive don't lose any sleep over it. I would check those two nuts for tightness though, it is pretty common for a lot of nuts and bolts to vibrate lose during break in. We've seen exhaust nuts lost, heat shield screws, you name it and I'm sure it's vibrated loose for someone. A little Loctite BLUE will help prevent that and give you a good excuse to look over your bike at the same time.
EZPZ #65
Knox

Thank you

Post by Knox »

Thanks for the peace of mind and quick reply! I'll give the bike a good look and tighten things up and not worry about this leak. Thanks again.

Knox
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I dont think tightening is needed, the thing is because your bike is 2 stroke, oil and gas burn as the main fuel, some extra oil may just accumulate around the muffler areas and leak, nothing to worry about. I would agree like nissanman said to check some bolts and tighten them, better to spend a few minutes checking, than to find some super important piece fly off while riding.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

I lost my mind while riding... how do you tighten that down :?: :lol:
EZPZ #65
Knox

Post by Knox »

I tightened it, it was actually pretty loose :shock:
Makes me wonder though, with all that generated in a weak, what happens to the sludge if it doesn't leak out? (I know - such a newbie)
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

They all do that...it's a two-stroke. A Vibronator! Take a half hour or so every few hundred miles, a cold beverage, and check as many fasteners as you can, several will be loose. Nature of the beast.

Have fun.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

I had all of the plastic stripped off of my Rattler last weekend (a hell of a lot of plasic) to check all of the bolts. With only 200 miles on it, everything was fine except... The LOOSE HANDLEBAR BOLTS :shock: !!! Good thing I took the time to do it. I wouldn't care that much if my muffler fell off compared to ending up in the hospital.

I STRONGLY advise everybody with a new scooter to spend a good amount of time checking every single safety-related connection 8).

By the way, while having it apart, I also installed a digital tachometer and Gorilla alarm. I plan on posting a simple "How To" in the near future :D.
"The All Is One..."
Knox

Post by Knox »

I'd love to see that post! I've spent tonight doing what I can without taking it apart. As for my issue I'll ride it a while tomorrow and see if it's still leaking like this. My scoot dealer is about 6 miles away, may go by there as well. Been there everyday lately getting accessories, they are either annoyed or happy:)
KABanshee

Post by KABanshee »

Hugo wrote:I had all of the plastic stripped off of my Rattler last weekend (a hell of a lot of plasic) to check all of the bolts. With only 200 miles on it, everything was fine except... The LOOSE HANDLEBAR BOLTS :shock: !!! Good thing I took the time to do it. I wouldn't care that much if my muffler fell off compared to ending up in the hospital.

I STRONGLY advise everybody with a new scooter to spend a good amount of time checking every single safety-related connection 8).

By the way, while having it apart, I also installed a digital tachometer and Gorilla alarm. I plan on posting a simple "How To" in the near future :D.
Lookin forward to seeing the "How To's" you have planned.
"Hey Little Buddy" - Jonas Grumby
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Knox wrote:I'd love to see that post! I've spent tonight doing what I can without taking it apart. As for my issue I'll ride it a while tomorrow and see if it's still leaking like this. My scoot dealer is about 6 miles away, may go by there as well. Been there everyday lately getting accessories, they are either annoyed or happy:)
Take notes when taking off all of the plastic. Boy, I thought my Typhoon had a lot of layers--nothing compared to the Rattler. I will say, however, that the Genuine body panels are much sturdier than that of my Piaggio :D.
"The All Is One..."
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

KABanshee wrote:
Hugo wrote:I had all of the plastic stripped off of my Rattler last weekend (a hell of a lot of plasic) to check all of the bolts. With only 200 miles on it, everything was fine except... The LOOSE HANDLEBAR BOLTS :shock: !!! Good thing I took the time to do it. I wouldn't care that much if my muffler fell off compared to ending up in the hospital.

Probably within the next week or so. I'm not very computer savy with regards to posting pictures. My wife usually has to show me how :oops:. I'll get it down sooner or later :wink:.
"The All Is One..."
KABanshee

Post by KABanshee »

Hugo wrote:
KABanshee wrote:

Probably within the next week or so. I'm not very computer savy with regards to posting pictures. My wife usually has to show me how :oops:. I'll get it down sooner or later :wink:.
I use Photobucket.com easy to copy pics from cpu or digi camera once you get pics in your bucket they become very cut and paste friendly. Easy as 1-2-3.
"Hey Little Buddy" - Jonas Grumby
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

KABanshee wrote:
Hugo wrote:
KABanshee wrote: Lookin forward to seeing the "How To's" you have planned.
I use Photobucket.com easy to copy pics from cpu or digi camera once you get pics in your bucket they become very cut and paste friendly. Easy as 1-2-3.
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot.
"The All Is One..."
TwistedRoads

Post by TwistedRoads »

vice grip!
Evans Performance

Post by Evans Performance »

where did you get the tach? i would love to have a tach on my rattler
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

EZPZ #65