Turn signals

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mlstephens

Turn signals

Post by mlstephens »

Has anyone tried to enable the disabled turn signals on the front 'cowl' of the Buddy? It is a shame to have these nice lights non-functional. The more the better, as far as being seen by traffic. I'm tempted to tear the front end apart and track down the wiring to see if I could make this work.
jess

Post by jess »

I have it on good authority that the turn signals are connectorized in such a way that you can switch back to the non-US wiring with a simple unplug-plug operation. Standing in front of the scooter, remove the front panel. The wires are inside there, and can be easily changed. After that, you can remove the handlebar-mounted turn signals.

I'm told you can also do it by reaching up underneath the panel from between the front fender and the legshield. I haven't tried either method, but I've seen one Buddy that's had it done.

This should be a simple operation that doesn't require any actual re-wiring, just changing a plug from one connector to the other. I'll try it myself as soon as I get a chance.
mlstephens

Post by mlstephens »

I'd like to keep all 4 turn signals on the front operational, though. If you do the unplug, it would render the (ugly) handlebar-mounted turn signals useless, right? If I had to pick one of the two, it would definitely be the ones on the front cowl, and delete the flimsy pair on the bars. Let us know what you find.
jess

Post by jess »

You're correct, that would disable the handlebar pair. It's theoretically possibly to wire them all up together (with some splicing) but it will make your turn signals blink very quickly -- I won't bore you with the physics and properties of bimetallic blinker modules, but more lights == faster blink. Maybe too fast.
LDB

Post by LDB »

Without getting into tons of theory etc. that would pas by overhead, what if you switched the add-on signals to LED bulbs so there is very little extra current draw? I was looking at switching the lights on my Kenworth to LED's and was told they don't have enough resistance to activate the blinker. Would that keep the blink rate from racing as well?
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
ellen

Post by ellen »

I like what Piaggo did with the non-dot signals on the legshield.
When they added those dongle signals, they put clear bulbs in the originals and make them a set of daytime running lights.
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

jess wrote:You're correct, that would disable the handlebar pair. It's theoretically possibly to wire them all up together (with some splicing) but it will make your turn signals blink very quickly -- I won't bore you with the physics and properties of bimetallic blinker modules, but more lights == faster blink. Maybe too fast.
Might also lead to a failed flasher, but there is only one way to find out.
xkennx

Re: Turn signals

Post by xkennx »

mlstephens wrote:Has anyone tried to enable the disabled turn signals on the front 'cowl' of the Buddy? It is a shame to have these nice lights non-functional. The more the better, as far as being seen by traffic. I'm tempted to tear the front end apart and track down the wiring to see if I could make this work.
The stock turn signals are to close together to be DOT approved. That is why Gen had PGO install the drop down signals. Now to be "legal" you have to leave them. But some Monday Im going to do a step by step (with pics) instructions on how to rewire the stock lights to work and remove the drop down DOT ones.

(now just have to figure out what I want the inop "light" switch to do)

Kenn
06 Gen Scooters Buddy 125 (sold)
05 Gen Scooters Stella w/sidecar (sold)
05 Vespa ET8
80 Vespa P200 w/ Polini 208
80 Vespa P200 w/ Malossi 210
74 Vespa Sprint 125
74 Vespa Primaveria 125 (broke)
56 Labretta LD 125 (sold)
kriden

Light Switch

Post by kriden »

Hello all, newbie here,

In regards to the light switch and turn signals why not put clear bulbs in the stock turn signals and wire them through the non-functional headlight switch to turn them on/off as running lights?

By the way, I am very close to putting my SR-50R Factory up for sale to get one of these very cool scooters I keep hearing about. I was looking for something just like this and I can't wait to see one up close. I LOVE my SR, but it just can't get up the hills as fast as I'd like (38 MPH max) and tops out at 53 MPH on the flats.

What a great forum you all have here for this great scooter, the Buddy.

Take care and be safe,

Kris