San Diego people!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

schipper

San Diego people!

Post by schipper »

Not sure if there are any of you on the board yet, but I wanted to post and tell you that Motorsport Scooters on 30th and El Cajon has a whole bunch of Buddy 125's in stock. I was over there on Saturday and saw them. There seemed to be a lot of interest in them but I'm not sure if they've sold any yet. Here is a link to their website-

Go check them out, it's a great shop and they'll treat you right.

www.motorsportscooters.com
Liz
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: San Diego people!

Post by ericalm »

schipper wrote:Not sure if there are any of you on the board yet, but I wanted to post and tell you that Motorsport Scooters on 30th and El Cajon has a whole bunch of Buddy 125's in stock. I was over there on Saturday and saw them. There seemed to be a lot of interest in them but I'm not sure if they've sold any yet. Here is a link to their website-

Go check them out, it's a great shop and they'll treat you right.

www.motorsportscooters.com
Max from Motorsport is actually a frequent poster here and is always quick to help out with advice and assistance. Truly a testament to their shop & dedication to customers and scooterists of all stripes.
schipper

Post by schipper »

ahh, and here I thought I was so clever. Guess I hadn't noticed him posting here before. Oh well, just thought I'd put out a little PSA.
Liz
bmydland

Post by bmydland »

Is it just me, or is the Buddy 125 at Motosport's website listed at $763 above MSRP? Seems a bit steep.

Cheers,
Bill
Fullserve

Post by Fullserve »

bmydland wrote:Is it just me, or is the Buddy 125 at Motosport's website listed at $763 above MSRP? Seems a bit steep.

Cheers,
Bill
I'm going to go over there today to see them for myself. I am very interested to see what could make up all the extra fees, which come to over 30% of the MSRP of the scooter! I'll let you know what I find out.

John
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

bmydland wrote:Is it just me, or is the Buddy 125 at Motosport's website listed at $763 above MSRP? Seems a bit steep.

Cheers,
Bill
It's not above MSRP, they are listing the OTD (out the door) price, which includes MSRP plus local tax (amount varies by county) and assorted fees. It's possibly a little high, but pretty much in line with what you'd pay elsewhere in the state.
bmydland

Post by bmydland »

Right, but it still seems high, at least compared to other brands of scooters (even in California). Maybe Genuine is different in that respect, but anyway the Vino 125 is looking more and more attractive.

-Bill
Fullserve

Post by Fullserve »

bmydland wrote:Right, but it still seems high, at least compared to other brands of scooters (even in California). Maybe Genuine is different in that respect, but anyway the Vino 125 is looking more and more attractive.

-Bill
I spoke for a long time with Kevin at Motorsport today and he was extremely helpful.

He informed me that the fees are for taxes, destination charge, final "set-up" (which he said was done by a contracted mechanic), registration, and $45 for document charges. I would guess that many of these are negotiable charges.

Anyway, it was a fine experience and he gave me a ton of good information, expecially helpful because this will be my first scooter purchase.

John
bmydland

Post by bmydland »

Interesting... well, I'm glad to hear that they're helpful. Keep us updated on how the search goes!

Cheers,
Bill
Fullserve

Post by Fullserve »

bmydland wrote:Interesting... well, I'm glad to hear that they're helpful. Keep us updated on how the search goes!

Cheers,
Bill
Well, you asked and so I'll update you.

I have had a couple rides on each of the following:

Buddy 125
Kymco People 150
Kymco Agility 125

I have to admit that I am leaning toward the Agility. It is a VERY basic scooter in terms of fit and finish, but for my purposes it seems to fit the bill pretty well. Yes, it's somewhat ugly, but I do like the look of the black wheels.

First off, it's about $600 less than the Buddy. To my shock, however, it also felt quicker off the line in my limited riding through town, although I think the Buddy beats it out on top end from what I've read. The 12" wheels also are an advantage, since I plan on commuting about 50 miles/day, 2-3 days a week. The Agility has a very nice suspension.

Now, the People 150 is a different animal altogether. There's no secret where the extra $$ goes on that scoot -- it is NICE. It has a significant amount more power than either of the 125's, in my limited riding test. It has great suspension and an excellent overall ride, but the 16" wheels definitely give it more of a motorcycle feel, to me. If I weren't such a cheap dude, I would seriously consider it.

All in all, all three of these scooters are priced appropriately. The Buddy is definitely worth the extra money over the Agility, if only for it's overall looks and cool factor. My mind isn't made up yet. I'm going to test ride a different Buddy, because you never know if I was riding a slightly mis-adjusted machine. I'll keep you posted, if anyone cares.

John
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Thanks for the update!

I also would have given the Agility 125 some serious consideration, except that I was too impatient for them to hit the dealers around here! :roll: