"It" Happened ...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Pita1963

"It" Happened ...

Post by Pita1963 »

Yep - I layed it down :( ..... Was making a left turn onto a one-way street, my partner had just made the turn in front of me when a cager pulled out of a parking space right into our lane. My partner swerved around the guy, he stopped for a second and then kept going, not looking to see if there were any other scooters around ( it was Colorado Chaos - we were meeting up with 100+ other scooter a block away ) he pulled out in front of me. I grabbed both brakes, layed on the horn and then had to try to go hard-left so I wouldn't hit him. I am kinda banged up, sore leg, shoulder, etc. My Buddy is in the shop, broken headight, bezel, topcase, numerous scraps, dings. He was ticketed, cited for failure to yield, etc. (btw - he tried to leave before the police got there - luckily my partner and a couple of friends were on hand and got 911 involved right away) . Just waiting to see what his insurance company will do to get my scoot fixed fast! I'll probably go to the doctor tomorrow and have them lookat my leg, it's really sore today....

Robb
The answer is : 42
curlyred

It happened

Post by curlyred »

I'm so sorry you got banged up.

I can't believe he tried to leave! How does that work? If you don't hit a car you can't be held responsible??? :x

I hope you and your Buddy will be ok!
pleasefeedthedog

Post by pleasefeedthedog »

Thanks for the story. Sorry you were involved. At 44 you should mend up in no time. :)
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Man, sorry to hear that. Sounds like laying it down was the best of two bad options. Glad to hear you're relatively ok and hope the scooter gets repaired soon!!
Tenchi

Post by Tenchi »

That scenario is why I think all scooters should have missile launchers as standard equipment.....laser guided.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I'm really glad you're not seriously hurt. Your leg is probably going to be sore for a while and you're going to need some new plastic for your Buddy, but that's not too bad, all things considered. Also, I'm glad to hear your friends were there to keep that jerk from fleeing the scene.

When you're healed up and your Buddy is repaired, I strongly recommend the MSF course. Get your friends to take it with you. It's more fun that way. The MSF folks are experts at teaching you how to deal with situations like the one you just encountered.
Campbell990

Re: It happened

Post by Campbell990 »

curlyred wrote:

I can't believe he tried to leave! How does that work? If you don't hit a car you can't be held responsible???!
I'm so sorry this happened to you!
This happened to me a few years ago while riding a gsxr. Both the police and the insurance said that the driver caused me to take evasive action which lead to my crash because the driver acted unsafely. Their insurance paid for my hospital bills, surgery on my shoulder and my bike. Hopefully this is the same in all states so you will get taken care of.
Pita1963

Post by Pita1963 »

jrsjr wrote:I'm really glad you're not seriously hurt. Your leg is probably going to be sore for a while and you're going to need some new plastic for your Buddy, but that's not too bad, all things considered. Also, I'm glad to hear your friends were there to keep that jerk from fleeing the scene.

When you're healed up and your Buddy is repaired, I strongly recommend the MSF course. Get your friends to take it with you. It's more fun that way. The MSF folks are experts at teaching you how to deal with situations like the one you just encountered.
I took the course about 2 months ago - feel that if I hadn't taken it I probably would have gone right over his hood, I keep thnking back and second guessing myself; " I should have...", " if I'd done this...", " if I was looking here instead of there.." I don't know, the police said I was lucky, another scooterist was killed in the same spot last month, in the same kind of situation, but ended up sliding under another car. The officer said that the class I took let me make the best out of a bad situation that could have been a lot worse.

Robb
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Robb. It's natural to second guess yourself but don't let it get to you, a tremendous amount of crap can fly up at you in a second or two. If you reacted differently, there's just as good a chance you would've been hurt worse.

So, you said another scooter was hit at the same spot? For all us other Denver riders, please mention the intersection so we're all aware of it. In motor vehicle accidents, lightning does tend to strike more than once in the same spot.

Heal quickly!
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
StacyB

Post by StacyB »

So sorry to hear about the accident, and very glad that you made it through overall ok.

I hope you don't have any road rash, but if you do.... "Second Skin" works really. It keeps the skin moist, and helps it heals better and reduce scarring. My only recommendation if you use it is to get some not-so-sticky tape when you're attaching it to the surrounding skin, or removing the tape in the shower. Also, Vitamin E (in liquid form) applied to the area will also help.
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

Pita1963 wrote:I took the course about 2 months ago - feel that if I hadn't taken it I probably would have gone right over his hood, I keep thnking back and second guessing myself; " I should have...", " if I'd done this...", " if I was looking here instead of there.." I don't know, the police said I was lucky, another scooterist was killed in the same spot last month, in the same kind of situation, but ended up sliding under another car. The officer said that the class I took let me make the best out of a bad situation that could have been a lot worse. Robb
like gt1000 said, don't second guess yourself. the fact is, robb, that you reflexively did what you had to do to save yourself; sounds like your msf training was effective. :) glad to hear you're in one piece. the fact is, shit happens that no one can ever plan for. congrats on your riding skills! btw, besides your helmet, what gear were you wearing?

i don't know how long i laughed imagining a scenario with that jerk being surrounded by a hundred scooters who wouldn't let him out. bwahahaha
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
Pita1963

Post by Pita1963 »

gt1000 wrote:Sorry to hear about your misfortune Robb. It's natural to second guess yourself but don't let it get to you, a tremendous amount of crap can fly up at you in a second or two. If you reacted differently, there's just as good a chance you would've been hurt worse.

So, you said another scooter was hit at the same spot? For all us other Denver riders, please mention the intersection so we're all aware of it. In motor vehicle accidents, lightning does tend to strike more than once in the same spot.

Heal quickly!
This happened at 17th and Penn - police said that intersection is kind of bad for accidents, both vehicle and pedestrian

Rob

:shock:
Pita1963

Post by Pita1963 »

scullyfu wrote:
Pita1963 wrote:I took the course about 2 months ago - feel that if I hadn't taken it I probably would have gone right over his hood, I keep thnking back and second guessing myself; " I should have...", " if I'd done this...", " if I was looking here instead of there.." I don't know, the police said I was lucky, another scooterist was killed in the same spot last month, in the same kind of situation, but ended up sliding under another car. The officer said that the class I took let me make the best out of a bad situation that could have been a lot worse. Robb
like gt1000 said, don't second guess yourself. the fact is, robb, that you reflexively did what you had to do to save yourself; sounds like your msf training was effective. :) glad to hear you're in one piece. the fact is, shit happens that no one can ever plan for. congrats on your riding skills! btw, besides your helmet, what gear were you wearing?

i don't know how long i laughed imagining a scenario with that jerk being surrounded by a hundred scooters who wouldn't let him out. bwahahaha
I am embarrassed to admit it - but we were only going 2-3 blocks and I didn't really think about "suiting up" for what was (in my mind) a quick walk....

Robb

:shock:
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

Tenchi wrote:That scenario is why I think all scooters should have missile launchers as standard equipment.....laser guided.
I'd pay extra for that.