New Guy Shopping for a Buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Bender

New Guy Shopping for a Buddy

Post by Bender »

Hello everyone...

New Guy to the forum from Virginia and I got a question...

Those of you that have purchased a Buddy are you paying MSRP or are you able to negotiate the price down a little? I am considering a Buddy International 150 cc in either the Italia or Pamplona version. I think the dealer here is asking a bit too much, $3400 plus tax.

Thanks for the help 8)
bjj4287

Post by bjj4287 »

well.. out of the door i got my pamplona for about 3,700 w/ helmet registration, license plate and all that.. from what i hear it is going to be very hard to haggle down the price since they are in such high demand... you are lucky to have found some in stock
jemjr4

Post by jemjr4 »

I purchased a Buddy Pamplona 150 about 6 weeks ago. No negotiating, $3099 MSRP plus shipping, handling and State tax was about $3700.

Limited supply remains from Genuine for scooters. Most are spoken for.

Good luck with your purchase. My wife really enjoys her new Buddy.

Jack
twoscoots

Post by twoscoots »

$3099.00 MSRP
180.00 dealer prep/freight
93.00 3% VA tax
$3372.00

If they're issuing you plates, too, I believe that puts you right smack on target. If they're not doing any of the DMV stuff, I don't know what's up.
As others have mentioned, if you go in there expecting to haggle like you would for a car with your Consumer Reports cheat sheet in your hand, you're in for a surprise. It just about killed me to go in there and pay the asking price, but I did it. At least they're not trying to gouge people like the car dealers do when they can (remember when the PT Cruiser came out?) The dealer gave me a discount on my accessories to offset the price a bit, but I was careful not to give her any crap before the papers were signed because I was hoping she would. :lol:
Bender

Post by Bender »

twoscoots wrote:$3099.00 MSRP
180.00 dealer prep/freight
93.00 3% VA tax
$3372.00

If they're issuing you plates, too, I believe that puts you right smack on target. If they're not doing any of the DMV stuff, I don't know what's up.
He quoted me...

$3400.00 plus tax which would be $3502.00. He didn't say anything about the DMV stuff but offered me free delivery ($75.00) to my home. I wasn't ready to deal at the time. I needed more information before I started to make the deal process.

Thanks for the information about cost of dealer prep. Now I have a number to start from.

I see you are in Richmond, maybe its worth a drive down there to see what they have. I am up in Northern Virginia.
Bender

Post by Bender »

My brother is getting a 2008 Buddy International Italia 150 cc for $3270.00 doesn't include tax, title or registration. He lives in Missouri.
twoscoots

Post by twoscoots »

FWIW, the Arlington dealer (if that's who you're shopping with) is new to Genuine. If you come down here, sounds like you'll get a better deal. Call Chelsea now, though.
My hubby rode his Buddy up to Arlington today, actually, so it's a do-able trip once you've got some miles on the scoot!
Bender

Post by Bender »

twoscoots wrote:FWIW, the Arlington dealer (if that's who you're shopping with) is new to Genuine. If you come down here, sounds like you'll get a better deal. Call Chelsea now, though.
My hubby rode his Buddy up to Arlington today, actually, so it's a do-able trip once you've got some miles on the scoot!
Yup... its the Arlington Dealer, the closest one around.
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

I'm all about shopping for price, throw-ins, etc. Right now - unless you want to wait 'till mid-Winter for a leftover, less-desireable color- you're pretty much paying
MSRP+.
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Bender wrote:I see you are in Richmond, maybe its worth a drive down there to see what they have. I am up in Northern Virginia.
As of Thursday evening, they had at least one of every color in every size Buddy. They may have thinned the herd a little over the weekend, but I bet they've still got a good selection.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

With buddies being sold every 2 seconds, that price is wonderful, it may not be the best, but it'll be a long time before you see another buddy in your dealer after it's gone. Genuine themselves are out of buddies, it'll be a while before PGO ships more.
twoscoots

Post by twoscoots »

jfrost2 wrote:With buddies being sold every 2 seconds, that price is wonderful,
I beg to differ, when he can drive an hour and a half and get it for at least a couple hundred dollars less. Even after paying for gas, he'll come out ahead.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I do agree. If you can find one cheaper, buy that one, but if all you do find is similar pricing, take what you can find, no where is going to be cheap, especially when they sell like hot cakes.
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

Looking for a fair price is reasonable, but don't waste this precious time when you could be actually riding on your new Buddy scooter.