Honda Met or Yamaha Vino vs. a Buddy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

vnice

Honda Met or Yamaha Vino vs. a Buddy?

Post by vnice »

Anyone ever own a Honda Metropolitan 50 or a Yamaha Vino 50?

What do you think of them?

How do they compare to eachother? And to the Buddy 50?
DrDiff

Post by DrDiff »

I am thinking along simmilar lines but the Buddy 125 and International 150 and the Vino 125.
James Dean Cory
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

This only pertains to the 125s (apologies to the original poster) but here is a review that is often cited to compare the Buddy and Vino:

http://justgottascoot.com/buddy.htm#Buddy%20Review
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

I can kind of comment on the Metros. I own 15 of them. ;)

Built like freaking tanks. These things really do not break down. Ride is good, comfy. VERY easy to work on yourself.
Can't really comment on how they will run for you, though. Mine are all running at 8,000 ft above sea level. We had to get larger jets for them to run at that alt. and I can't compare them to anything else you mentioned. I think the Buddy and the Vino both LOOK a little better then the Metro's, though.
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

I loooooved my Honda Met and drove it for 3 carefree years. I only bought a Buddy because it was time to get a modern scoot with more than a 50cc engine.

It will depend what kind of driving you want to do (and how much you weigh) as the 50cc Buddy will be faster because it's a 2-stroke. I usually drove my Met about 30mph as the posted limit is 25mph for my city and 30 kept me in the flow.

I would carry it into the basement for winter storage (2 people can carry it easily) and take the battery out. In the spring I would carry it back up, put the battery in, press the start button and off I would go.

I also like the look of the Met over the Vino (I never liked the chrome handlebars on the Vino).

On the other hand, I like the height of the Buddy (I have a 150 but the height is the same on all of them). I'm 5'11" and always felt a bit small on my Met. My shorter neighbor (and new owner of my Met) absolutely loves it...we went on a ride together on Saturday afternoon and had a blast.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

If you get a 50cc, you'll be looking at de-restricting it a week or teo afterwards. Then you'll be looking for a pipe, clutch springs, sliders, and kevlar belts.

Several members bought a 50cc bike so they didnt need a license to ride it, then they feel it's a fit sluggish in traffic where they live. The best bet it to get a 125 or 150 and keep it stock. It'll be much cheaper OTD.
Sunil

Post by Sunil »

The metro is really cute and well put together. i rode one alot before i got my b125. Ive never ridden the b50 so I cant compare performance, but the metro is a bit too small for me. Im 5'11. Sit on all of them and pick the one that feels best to you. they are all good choices.
Scoot first, ask questions later.
FA-Q

Post by FA-Q »

The Buddy 50 is a better bike. It has a high directional headlight, rear led brake light, larger gas tank, faster 2 stroke motor, 2 person capability, roomier, parts and panels are half the cost of the Vino and Met, and an engine that is easily upgradeable with performance parts.
Sharon

Post by Sharon »

I had a Vino 50 for 1 year. Went to a Buddy 125 because I wanted a little more power and bit lartger scooter. Both are great scooters.
bmw111

No comparison

Post by bmw111 »

You can't compare the Metropolitan to the Buddy 125/Vino 125. Metro is smaller overall, single rider only, and slow off the line. No filtering through traffic to the front of the queue and then blasting off in front of the cages. I own both a Metro and a B150. The main reason I bought the B150 was for a "safer" commute -- in terms of not having huge SUVs riding my @ss while I'm topped out at 30mph, getting all angry and such. And, surprisingly, you'll probably get the same mileage from a B125/Vino 125 -- you won't be riding around at full whack all the time, which I have to do on the Metro in order to not get run over. Full throttle = not the best mileage.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

He/She was comparing the metrop. 50cc, vs the vino 50cc, vs the buddy 50cc...
brape

Post by brape »

I really liked the looks of the metro when I first started looking at scooters, but decided I wanted a bigger engine so ended up with a buddy. (If they had a met with a 125 engine I would have looked at it) The honda is a tiny scooter tho. I just saw one in person for the first time a week ago and I don't think I would have fit on it very well (5'8")
FA-Q

Post by FA-Q »

The Buddy 50 has a disc up front and the Met has dual drums.