Can't quite pull the trigger, convince me?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Go Blur, or Go Bigger?

Heck yea, 150cc will be plenty!
67%
You'll love it, for a few months, then want more.
33%

Total votes: 9

GFridrich3

Can't quite pull the trigger, convince me?

Post by GFridrich3 »

Hey all, first post, need some reassurance

Local dealer has a few 07 Blurs ready to be titled, at a knockout price (pratically no markup from Genuines price drop) They say they last of what they have for Blurs will be gone, in well, a Blur. Like a weeks time give or take. I can lay down a deposit to hold one of these things around shop opening monday morning while I sort out all the details of the purchase, etc....

I have no "issues" with driving a scooter around, generally i don't really give a five what others think, and fully expect to get more than one ignorant comment while driving it on the road and Im fine with it. I LOVE the look of the Blur. Even took one around doing some low speed turning to get a feel for what its like on 2 wheels. This was honestly my very first experience driving a motor powered 2 wheel vehicle ever (been riding snowmobiles and atvs for the past several years now, and ridden a bicycle almost my entire life) The guys at the scooter shop were VERY friendly, and helpful with all my questions and concerns.

Now here is my predicament. I love cars. I love fast cars. I have a fast car (300hp/280tq at the wheels) and i know how it feels to be able to go fast when I want to. I am honestly concerned that I may be dissapointed in the Blur after only a few short months (if not weeks) and want to upgrade. My problem with this is that I won't know thats the case until I have already made the commitment on the scooter and its already too late to prevent taking a loss on the purchase.

I really wanted this scooter to be able to make my 6 mile daily commute (12 mi round trip) to work, have something to hop over to the local superstores or so on, and have something fun to ride around on in the weekend. I know that there may be times where I might want to actually take this thing for a day trip with other 2-wheelers, and would probably involve highway roads (55-65mph posted limits) At the speed limit i see no reason i couldnt keep up, but obviously going 75-85+ mph (to hang with the pack) isnt going to be happening on this one. I really cant justify going with an even bigger scooter for the costs of a 200 or 250, id just get a bike at that price range. But like I say, the highway thing is really just a "maybe" anyways, and i dont really think its going to happen all that often at this point. Besides, i have a pug that likes to go for car rides anyways, and i doubt there are any "safe" solutions for taking him along on a Blur (unless there are, let me know!)

So any advice, or words of wisdom on whether the Blur would be right for me would be great. Id really like to be able to have a definite answer whether i want to take one home or not within the next couple days. I could go thru the hassle of making a fully refundable deposit on a blur without being 100% sure, but i think that would just start to complicate things more than just knowing if i should take it home or let another potential buyer take it.

Another thing i was curious about, the guy there, when i was getting a feel for the scooter, told me to just use the left (rear) brake lever, and to leave the front brakes alone. Why would there be such an big powerful front brake on a scooter (4-pot MONSTER caliper) that you wouldnt want to use it? If its just not a good practice to use front brakes on a scooter, would I be able to swap the 4-pot braking system to the rear wheel if Im going to end up using my rear brake most of the time with this thing?

Well anyways, sorry for the super long first post, but my head is just in the clouds right now, and it would be just wonderful for some of you to chime in and help pull me back down to reality here and hopefully help sway me towards the Blur, or to start looking for a used bike. Heck, id take a used Blur if i could find one for less than i can get the 07 brand new for, id even just consider a used Blur if i could just plain find one at all in my area!

BTW, here are a couple pics of me on the Blur. Its a really good fit in my eyes, would you agree?

jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Do it. Now.

They will be gone in no time, blur's are impossible to find now, if you find one, get it. 150cc is enough for the city and country. The Blur looks even better with someone sitting on it from the side view!

Also about the brakes, you should always use both at the same rate and slowly pull them in. If you use the rear only, you'll have to stop a mile away to slow down from 45-50mph to 0mph. The front brake provides 70% plus stopping power, it's good to use both at the same time.
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

jfrost2 wrote:Do it. Now.

They will be gone in no time, blur's are impossible to find now, if you find one, get it. 150cc is enough for the city and country. The Blur looks even better with someone sitting on it from the side view!

Also about the brakes, you should always use both at the same rate and slowly pull them in. If you use the rear only, you'll have to stop a mile away to slow down from 45-50mph to 0mph. The front brake provides 70% plus stopping power, it's good to use both at the same time.
Thanks for the tip about the brake. I knew from the DMV booklet that the front brake provides about 3/4 of your total stopping power, but this was focused mostly on motorcycles. Im guessing that they were commenting on slow speed handling in regards to rear brake use only? I didnt think the rear brake would be adequate itself for higher speed street use, but just in case that was the issue, thats why I asked about being able to use the front caliper in the rear. But from that, i guess i should still treat the scooter as I would a real motorcycle in terms of operation.

More advice and suggestions please, it is appreciated if you do, even if its to tell me to go bigger. From lurking this site the past few weeks, ive learned a good deal about the Blur, and between this site and 2strokebuzz im pretty much sure that the best L class scooter for me is the Blur!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Motorcycle/scooter. Both the same. Just a smaller engine and auto trans.

Slow or high speed, you will find using both brakes the best way to stop. Even going 20-25mph, it takes around 100 feet to stop, I've tightened by rear brake to be alot tighter, but you cant tighten it to a point it works like the front brake. No matter what, the rear will always be weaker because it's in the rear. Use both brakes at all times when braking.

I'd say 250cc is what you would want in a bike if you road highway alot of often, but the blur is a whole class of bike itself in the 150 range. It's the sportiest, and best made bike of it's kind. Genuine stopped importing them from PGO after 2007, so these bikes are rare and very hard to find, get it while you can. I too had the chance to get a blur, but this was a while back when no one wanted them and genuine lowered the price super low to just get rid of them. But I bought a buddy, couldnt resist that orange!
CTL11

Post by CTL11 »

Where are you from?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I think you're a perfect candidate for a Kawasaki Ninja 250R (MSRP $3499). The Blur handles and stops great, but the missing ingredients are acceleration and speed. Reading between the lines of everything you said, I think you'll quickly be bored with the Blur and wish you had something that could keep up with your friend's bikes, which the Blur will not.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

jrsjr wrote:I think you're a perfect candidate for a Kawasaki Ninja 250R (MSRP $3499). The Blur handles and stops great, but the missing ingredients are acceleration and speed. Reading between the lines of everything you said, I think you'll quickly be bored with the Blur and wish you had something that could keep up with your friend's bikes, which the Blur will not.
Neither will the Ninja 250. I looked at the Ninja too. For one, right now new Ninjas are VERY hard to find, at least here in Cali. I'm seeing them on craigslist for $5000 because they know other people can't get them. And for two, after giving it more thought, it was even more in between a scooter and a real motorcycle than a Blur. It looks like a real bike, but they still don't have enough power to satisfy someone who needs to feel it pull.

I too like fast cars. I drive a modified WRX. I race auto-x and go through tires every 6-8000 miles. That said, I just know that if I jumped on a 600cc streetbike with no real experience, you'd be scraping me off the pavement way too soon. The scooter is more fun to drive to work than my Subaru. But if I want to go fast, the car gives me a much larger margin for error and offers more protection.

Once I get some real miles under me on two wheels, then I'll look at upgrading. Look at craigslist, note the resale value of scooters. I find 10-15 year old scooters for sale for probably as much or more than they originally cost. It's silly, but I'm not too worried about needing to take much of a resale hit when it does come time to sell the scooter.

Get the scooter, enjoy the ride and live long enough to enjoy something bigger down the road. :)

Disclaimer: I've only had mine a couple weeks so if I do actually get bored in another couple weeks, well.... :p But I don't see that happening.
nickwhite44

Post by nickwhite44 »

You might want a small sport bike, and there's nothing wrong with that. Go check out the bikes before you make a decision just in case. I don't think the Blur is impossible to find and you should look at both options given your love for speed.

Regardless, if you don't have 2-wheel experience, I would recommend taking the MSF Basic Rider Course ($225) in your area and get the feel of a motorcycle - then make your decision. You can kill yourself on both the Blur and a motorcycle if you're a speed demon, so don't fool yourself that the Blur might be safer. At least you know you're into speed up front. Learn a little about 2-wheeling in the course and you'll be in a much better position to make a good decision. Me personally, I'm thinking about owning both at some point. I have a Blur, but a motorcycle has it's place too. Two wheels are fun!

Nick
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

Funny you say that, I too drive a WRX. No auto-x for me thou since its my only mode of transportation. It IS nice having a daily driver that can keep up with almost any other 4 wheeler on the road thou, and the security of the frame around me when going that fast. I too fear that going bigger up front would end up badly for me, which is why i am so seriously considering a small displacement scooter or bike. Im guessing hauling the pooch around with me isnt going to be a pratical option with either a scooter or bike, so for longer trips, im almost certain to take the car anyways. I thought of the Ninja, but reading on it, its barely a highway bike, and if i get a bike i really want a cruiser anyways, i love the sporty look of the blur, but im not so hot on sport bikes. Around here, guys with sport bikes hold a negative reputation for being hot-dogs, show-offs, etc... and that also carries into the insurance costs. Im already looking at 400-450 a year for the Blur, but that will go down to 320-370 in august when my last speeding ticket (13 over if you need to know) from back in 2005 rolls off my record

I am from Illinois, so I will only be using the scooter for 5-6 months of the year. I just hope that I will have the room to keep it in the garage. The numbers seem to work, but i wont know for certain until i bring it home. At best, ill have to ditch one of my bicycles, move a spare set of wheels, and make room for the scooter. Hopefully thou, i will have enough room to pull the car up, put the scooter behind the car, and still be able to close the garage. Winter, the scooter/bike will end up being stored anyways.

Im really leaning more towards picking up the Blur. The only thing that is really hurting me right now are the non-recoverable costs if I change my mind and sell it off. Im pretty sure I will be able to get back what I put out on the actual scooter, but its that extra 500 or so that would suck to lose out on, plus the whole "almost brand new" scooter with no warranty or roadside assistance might be a turn-off to any potential buyers that know what they are buying.
CTL11

Post by CTL11 »

What shop is trying to get rid of the blur's? And how much are you talking?
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

They aren't really trying to get rid of them, its just that its a hot seller here, and of the last bunch available, they bought the farm, and only had 5 left for sale when i left the dealer around noon today.

Talking numbers with them today, im looking at taking it home for around $3300 out the door based on my local sales tax rate. Im hoping ill be able to swing a little more with them on that, maybe try and push for a free helmet and maybe a few maintenance parts (pads, belt, couple oil filters), but i doubt thats gonna happen. Im sure there are plenty of people that would drive one home at that price with no extras and no negotiations. I don't expect to work on the sale price of the scooter itself, i know they can get their full asking price no problem. Might just be nice to get a few throw-ins on the deal, everyone likes freebies!

So with that, who has any suggestions on a good looking jacket and gloves that match the 07 Blur?
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

ha.. we can be WRX/Blur brothers.. though your last ticket was 13 over, mine was 12 over :P

$3300 OTD means they have some wiggle room, and getting them to throw in a helmet should be easy. See if you can get them to throw in the first service as well since Genuine expects the dealer to do that to maintain warranty.
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

Not sure about the wiggle room, considering they are charging me based on my local tax rate, which happens to be C(r)ook County, Illinois... Current rates are 9% unless they stepped up up againt towards the final 10% rate that was approved. Dang taxes make it so hard to justify large purchases these days. I may just register it at the family house in DuPage to save a little on taxes thou, since thats still my registered address (co-signed on the car with my dad, so my licence didnt change when I moved)

The difference in taxes would end up being almost $100 bucks on the final price, so that would cover a fairly decent helmet if I cant get a free one.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Get the scooter cause it handles great. Sometimes the xtra speed you get on a bike will kill your handling, also the size of the bike hurts handling too. A pro rider will lap the heck outta you on a 600cc bike with your patootie on a liter class bike, I'm going to assume you're not a professional rider. Speed on a larger bike doesn't seem real sometimes and that can lead to catastrophic results, having a top speed of 60-70mph can sometimes be a good thing. The smaller frame on a scooter make them a hoot to drive. On the fun to drive scale my Rattler beats my R1150R or my YZF600R I had. Most importantly, but what YOU want for YOUR reasons. If you buy what impresses your buddies more it may not be what impresses you more. At work I'm the only scooter guy and don't really care that I park next to a Gixxer 750 (2 of em) and an R1 that's what they wanted and that's cool by me.
If you're going to ride in a pack regularly and they all have larger bikes, get a bike. You'll feel left out when Johnny-rocketbike decides to fly way out of your range and never wait up. I'd start with something like a SV650, sporty enough but a wide audience making resale easier. Not everybody wants to buy a used crotchrocket. In the end it's get what you want, ride what you want and most importantly have fun (and of course ride safe).
EZPZ #65
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

Thanks Nissanman, the adivce is appreciated. Im almost thinking i might as well just get two bikes down the road, starting with the Blur now, and getting something that can handle the highway later down the road.

Obviously im no pro, im as beginner as they get, my first experience on 2 wheels with a motor was yesterday!!! It was great, and I got the hang of low speed handling fairly quick, but i think its all my experience with other recreational vehicles that helped with it. Right now, the only thing I feel I will need to overcome is the throttle. Everything Ive driven has had pedals or squeeze levers, im not used to the twist action throttle that scooters and bikes have. It shouldnt be too tough for me to get used too thou with a little practice.
jim_0068

Post by jim_0068 »

Find an older (not the new 2008 Ninja 250s) and i think it will satisfy your need for the little extra speed you want. Plus you can get them used at a LOWER COST than the new Blur.

I don't think you'll end up being happy with the blur, it's quick and it's fun but it won't have the acceleration you're looking for. If you look hard enough you can find the new 2008 Ninja 250 but you might have to go pick it up out of state as they sold like hot cakes this year and are few/far between.

But with it being your first bike i would suggest the older 250s because they hold their value well (almost unamimously the best 1st bike) so you should be able to buy one, ride it for a season, and then sell it for something else if you desire.

Stay away from any 600cc sportbike, they are bascially race bikes with mirros and signals. Everything on these bikes are amplified and so will be your mistakes. HOpe that helps
CTL11

Post by CTL11 »

Yeah, but sportbikes are pretty fun. I had a 98 CBR600F3 when I turned 18 and I don't know how I never got a ticket on that thing for speeding?

So smooth you don't even realize you are going 100+.
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

jim_0068 wrote:Find an older (not the new 2008 Ninja 250s) and i think it will satisfy your need for the little extra speed you want. Plus you can get them used at a LOWER COST than the new Blur.

I don't think you'll end up being happy with the blur, it's quick and it's fun but it won't have the acceleration you're looking for. If you look hard enough you can find the new 2008 Ninja 250 but you might have to go pick it up out of state as they sold like hot cakes this year and are few/far between.

But with it being your first bike i would suggest the older 250s because they hold their value well (almost unamimously the best 1st bike) so you should be able to buy one, ride it for a season, and then sell it for something else if you desire.

Stay away from any 600cc sportbike, they are bascially race bikes with mirros and signals. Everything on these bikes are amplified and so will be your mistakes. HOpe that helps
Its not really the acceleration of a sports car I am looking for with the Blur, im certain its 0-60 times are more than my newb-ass can handle for at least this season if i get it. I like that the big K has a small displacement option, but im not a huge fan of real sport bike look or the reputation it would precede me with if i got one. If i went 250-400cc id definitely be looking for a cruiser style bike. Why stay away from 600cc? Its not like I am going to push my limits on the bike, and ive heard many good things about several 600'ish bikes, suzuki models in particular. I can understand the bigger the bike, the more likely I wont be able to handle it, but so far it seems like if i stay around 650 or less, it should be just right for a first bike.
jim_0068

Post by jim_0068 »

GFridrich3 wrote:

Its not really the acceleration of a sports car I am looking for with the Blur, im certain its 0-60 times are more than my newb-ass can handle for at least this season if i get it.

Probably not, i bet it takes at least 10 seconds or more to get to a "real" 60mph and not an indicated. I used to drive fast cars too: I had an 11 second SRT4, i had a 9 second turbo camaro, and the blur is just "fun." It's not really fast to me, but fun.
Why stay away from 600cc? Its not like I am going to push my limits on the bike, and ive heard many good things about several 600'ish bikes, suzuki models in particular. I can understand the bigger the bike, the more likely I wont be able to handle it, but so far it seems like if i stay around 650 or less, it should be just right for a first bike.
No, 600cc sport bikes are really race bikes in street attire to be legal. There are a lot of people who think like you (and i'm not yelling at you honest) and these are the people who become a statistic. I'm not saying people shouldn't own them, but i would reccomend it for at least 2 seasons of riding on a much smaller more forgiving bike to LEARN HOW TO RIDE. You don't "have to" start on a 250 ninja. There are plenty of slightly faster beginner bikes like the Suzuzki GS500, the SV650, etc.

To the people who started on a 600cc sportbike and are still living and are fine, good for them. But the reality is that they are not good riders. This isn't just my opinion but the majority opinion of any real rider. You just learn bad habits on those types of bikes because of the low amount of forgiveness they have when the rider does the wrong thing.

Just to give you an idea, sportbikes generally have at least twice the hp of a normal similarly sized smaller hp engine with LESS THAN HALF the same amount of throttle movement. Chew on that one.
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

Yea, that sort of throttle response gives me a slight sickening feeling in my stomach when i think about it, especially just entering the world of 2 wheels...

Im really starting to think highways might not be in my near future (want to feel completely comfortable riding first) and the Blur is going to be the best bet for me right now. Besides, its just one good looking scooter compared to the ocean of "vintage" and "retro" styled scooters that are going to be all over the road in the near future. Ill be the guy on the vette out there while everyone else is driving around their cavaliers and neons. Dont worry buddy owners, you guys are kinda like the monte carlo crew. Still fast enough to hang, but you got the look to blend in with the crowd.
jim_0068

Post by jim_0068 »

Cool, the blur is definately fun. I enjoy it everytime i ride it and in reality, it's about all you need for riding around a city (i live in chicago). Once it's broke it i'll probably change the weights to give me a bit more acceleration.

Even my buddy who has a Yamaha R6 rode my blur and couldn't help but smile. He thought it was definately fun.
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

Oh yea, and since it seems to have gone un-noticed...

Does anyone have advice for scootering around a small dog on occasion? hes a larger pug, physically large (longer body and legs than normal), not fat from too many treats.

I was thinking one of those baby carrier things, and keeping him strapped to my chest or back for trips to my parents house when i dont feel like driving the car. Unless there is some sort of real pet carrier i can mount like a top case?
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

here's a protective cage for your pooch
http://www.road-hound.com/index.asp?Pag ... &ProdID=70

and dont forget his eye protection
http://www.doggles.com/
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

Your disappointment will be directly proportional to your expectations.

Firstly, what you've got to do is have a clear understanding about what kind of riding the Blur is appropriate for. For that matter, the kind of riding any 125-150cc scooter is appropriate for. We're talking urban transport - basically surface street city riding. It's not a motorcycle and it's not going to hang with a crew of crotch rockets out on a highway sprint. But what it will do is get around 70 mpg, outrun 90% of cars at speeds under 50 mph, and cruise comfortably at 60 mph. It'll also make your commute extremely enjoyable presuming you have a good surface-street route to get to work. It's flickable in a way a motorcycle will never be. But it's a lot more stable than a Buddy or an old Vespa. Stops a lot better too (and for heaven's sake, squeeze both brakes together!).

I think I am probably one of the closest on the board to your present situation. I'm a sports car guy - drive a MINI Cooper S. The Blur is basically my first scooter/motorcycle (I had a Vespa P200 for a few months but liked the way it looked a lot more than the way it rode - traded to the Blur). I also have about an 8 mile one-way commute on city streets. Here's my perspective .

In the city, the Blur is just a monster. It's quick, it soaks up road bumps and pot holes with confidence-inspiring ease. It loves to be counter-steered and will lean in so deep you'll start grinding away at the underside LONG before you run out of grip (and you'll run out of nerve long before that). I was able to shave 10 minutes off my commute this morning just because I needed to. It's very, very quick and the superb handling/brakes inspire a lot of confidence, even to a newby rider. It's a great value and very, very fast

...for a 150cc scooter.

It's not a motorcycle. It will not do effortless wheelies. It will not plant your arse in the seat when you twist the throttle and let me tell you that is a very, very good thing for a new rider. Understand though, it's very quick. It's just not brute horsepower quick. You learn how to feather the throttle just right and when to slam it wide open to get ideal acceleration. However, 65 mph is pretty much the Blur with its tongue hanging out. It'll do it, but you won't have much left. You'll be relegated to the right lane as your machine pleasantly screams beneath you from the effort.

If you want a scooter. Get a scooter and I highly recommend the Blur. There's truly nothing like it. If you want a motorcycle, get a motorcycle. But don't get a Blur or any other scooter expecting it to be a crotch rocket or to keep up with one off of city streets. If you're doing this for the commute and the economy of it, then get the scooter. But if you want to roll with your motorcycle buddies, then you'll need something that fits into that group. There are lots of scooterists out there who love to do group rides. Keep that in mind also.

Understand what the Blur is, don't buy it as something it isn't, and you won't be disappointed.

One last thing: there's a whole set of racing parts from MRP for the Blur - racing exhaust, racing variators, racing clutches. Even just a set of roller weights would give it more punch. But again, those will only gain you so much. If you want to go 100 mph, a scooter is not for you. But it's also worth noting that 50 mph or a scooter, in the open air, feels a heck of a lot faster than you might think.
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

Thanks NS for the advice, thats just the kind of good stuff I am looking to hear from those with experience. I never did assume the scooter was a large displacement cruiser capable of highway speeds, which was my main concern and my predicament.

However, I am coming to a realization that 95% of my intended use for this scooter should never require more than 55-65 mph (and thats even stretching it!) so I decided to commit myself to the Blur. Placed a hold deposit on one this morning at shops opening.

I also did realize that with the scooter boom about to happen, a high quality build like the Blur will be able to rake in top dollar even used with lower mileage, so when and if i ever do plan to upgrade, i dont forsee any significant loss on the sale, heck, with enough demand, and a low enough odometer reading, i could potentially make a few bucks off the sale (wishful thinking, but quite possible)

Supposed to pick it up friday afternoon, or saturday morning depending on weather. Just gotta work out the details now.

So do I push for some freebies like a helmet and cover, first maintenance, etc... or what? I mean, im already getting a great deal on the scooter itself, but theres always a little room for negotiation, right?
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

I always say it doesn't hurt to ask. (ask, not demand).
If you get something extra, great! If not, no big deal as you know there are probably a dozen people that would have bought that scooter before the end of the month anyway.

As already said, Just keep in mind is a scooter. That 5% of the time you are riding with your MC buddies and you aren't keeping up, you already know that, so you should not be dissapointed. And you might enjoy going out for scooter rides with oher scooterists.

The Blur is a great bike, enjoy it and congrats !

Come back to give us your first impressions. :D
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

Yeah, you're already going to be getting a good deal on the scooter - which the shop won't make much money on anyway - so free gear is not going to happen. You'll get a 15% discount if you're lucky. Accessories and gear are where shops make their best profits, so don't hold your breath. To give you some perspective, our household bought two scooters in two months from our local dealer and I couldn't even work a significant discount on a windshield, let alone helmets or jackets. And forget about free!

But at the same time, we didn't pay freight on either scooter and they were discounted down well below MSRP, so I can't complain in the slightest. Good deals both.

And don't worry about residual value. It's a scooter for goodness sake. Ride it for the love of it and enjoy the money savings as you go. But you're right, come August you could probably sell it for profit.
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

GFridrich3 wrote:I also did realize that with the scooter boom about to happen, a high quality build like the Blur will be able to rake in top dollar even used with lower mileage, so when and if i ever do plan to upgrade, i dont forsee any significant loss on the sale, heck, with enough demand, and a low enough odometer reading, i could potentially make a few bucks off the sale (wishful thinking, but quite possible)
When I was trying to justify it, that's sorta what got me to just go for it as well. When people calculate the "payback" on a scooter, it tends to be all about MPG. But they leave out that final part of the life cycle.. assuming you don't just throw it away, a scooter that has been taken care of seems to have really good resale value.

Sorry you have to wait so long, that would make me crazy. I made the final decision to get one at about 4:30 in the afternoon, I was at the dealer by 5:30 and riding my scooter home at 6:15. +1 for instant gratification.

Enjoy the ride! :)
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

I didnt really need to wait so long, all of their remaining stock is already partially assembled waiting front splash guard and mirrors, and a quick reflector alignment on the front forks. Probably could be ready to roll while i go thru all the paperwork in the office!

I guess it wont hurt to ask, but it would be nice to get the hookup if it happens. I have 3 different offers already for helmets from people at work, one an all black full face my buddy got free with his suzuki 1400 cruiser, one a full face black and silver with some yellow and red on it that my boss'es son retired for a new helmet at christmas, and a third of unknown specification from another guys son that doesnt ride anymore. Im kinda leaning towards the black and silver one since im thinking of having the gunmetal parts painted metallic yellow (like the BRP Can-Am Spyder) over the winter.

But yes, this next week will be filled with anticipation. Ive already begun outlining the parking spaces in my one car garage to make both the scooter and car fit. Its a tight squeeze, but i think its gonna work so I wont have to play musical autos in the morning. If only the handlebars were 3-4 inches narrower, things would fit SOOOO much better.

Oh yea, and I just realized that Im supposed to be taking delivery on Friday the 13th. I are scurred. :(
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

Racenut wrote:

When I was trying to justify it, that's sorta what got me to just go for it as well. When people calculate the "payback" on a scooter, it tends to be all about MPG. But they leave out that final part of the life cycle.. assuming you don't just throw it away, a scooter that has been taken care of seems to have really good resale value.

Sorry you have to wait so long, that would make me crazy. I made the final decision to get one at about 4:30 in the afternoon, I was at the dealer by 5:30 and riding my scooter home at 6:15. +1 for instant gratification.

Enjoy the ride!

I put a deposit on mine over the phone last Thursday at the closest dealer I could find that had an '06. It was ready to go at the time (floor model with 49BDUs on the clock) but the dealer is about 2.5 hours away and I had plans to go to the beach for the weekend and had pressing obligations that I couldnt cancel (sounds rough, I know :roll: ) So I had them change the oil and order the windscreen hoping it would be available when I wnet to pick it up yesterday afternoon. Well the WS wasnt in yet but the scoot was sitting at the front of the garage waiting for me when I pulled up 8) . 10 minutes of paperwork, a quick spin or 2 around the parking lot and in the back of the van it went. Home & unloaded with the mirrors re-installed and off into the night for a shakedown. I currently commute on a 50 and ride a Burgman on weekends or whenever the wife want to go for a ride and I have to say this 150 fits perfectly in my stable (if not in my garage). I rode into work this morning and wondered why it took me so long to upgrade my commuter. No more cagers pushing me, no more cagers in front of me at red lights (at least where there's a second lane, lane splitting is not legal here but shoulders and scooters kinda go together :wink: ). I did forget the paperwork on the kitchen table so darn it all I have to ride back home before I go to DMV to do the title/registration (no sense having the wife drive all the way in town to drop it off). My first impression is it's a little more compact feeling than I thought it would be, I only saw pictures before last night - had never seen one in person. It fits much more like the 50 than the 400 - not that it's cramped or small just more compact & a little taller than I expected. Overall after the first 30 BDUs (are you f'ing kidding me - this thing measures the 6.2 mile commute as 11.7 BDUs, 1.9/mile :sigh: ) I am very happy and sporting the infamous Burgman grin :P maybe I have a BLURgman grin now!!

ride happy,
Steve
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

GFridrich3 wrote:

I have 3 different offers already for helmets from people at work
Helmets are a very personal thing. Regardless how good it looks with your bike, it the fit is not right, it won't fully protect you. The only way to know how a good helmet would fit is to try a bunch starting with a shop that can show you how to fit it properly.

Helmets are shaped for different shape heads (round, oblong, etc) and they come in sizes from XS to XXXL. Don't just get the one from your buddy at work because it looks good. Get one that is at least DOT approved. Prices for DOT helmets range from $75.00 to over $500.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

EP_scoot wrote:
GFridrich3 wrote:

I have 3 different offers already for helmets from people at work
Helmets are a very personal thing. Regardless how good it looks with your bike, it the fit is not right, it won't fully protect you. The only way to know how a good helmet would fit is to try a bunch starting with a shop that can show you how to fit it properly.

Helmets are shaped for different shape heads (round, oblong, etc) and they come in sizes from XS to XXXL. Don't just get the one from your buddy at work because it looks good. Get one that is at least DOT approved. Prices for DOT helmets range from $75.00 to over $500.
Thanks for the advice. Im not going to just take one cause its available. It took me FOREVER to find a helmet that fit me and was comfortable for on the snowmobile. I have unofficially dubbed that helmet as "mine" for when i get to the vacation home in the winter. Its technically not mine, but for the past few years, out of the 8 or 9 plain black helmets in the closet, i know which one is mine, and can tell when i grabbed the wrong large by mistake almost right away. All three of the helmets being offered are all DOT approved helmets thou, so if one does fit me well, ill probably end up buying it, if anything as a temporary until i find something that I really like.