New Paint Job!

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jasonkoscho

New Paint Job!

Post by jasonkoscho »

Finally! I tried to do it all in a weekend, that was 4 weeks ago. It was worth it, I'm really happy with the turn out. I used Rescue Green Automotive Paint from Jeep. (Click "All Sizes" For the large view)

It's a bit dusty from all the dried up paint particles; im going to wait a week for the paint to cure, then give 'er a wash.

I'm going to install 10gr Dr. Pulley weights over the weekend.

Check them out!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24216818@N ... 990026495/

Thanks
Jason
Last edited by jasonkoscho on Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

that is such a nice green! Good job! Did you use any kind of clear coat? You should paint your forks too :)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Very nice job on the paint and the photos! Very professional.
jasonkoscho

paint

Post by jasonkoscho »

I did clear coat. I decided to go with a Clear Coat Enamel. It seemed to be the thickest and provided the most protection to UV, heat, dirt, etc.. and the epoxy-polyurethane was $30 for a 9oz can...

But the enamal went on nice and smooth and really gave a clean, smooth finish.

I painted the forks with a bronze metalic paint -- I originally wanted to annodize them, but couldnt find the right color.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Jason,
very nice job. It has a HALO3 look to it.

I noticed you had the garlic out to keep the vampire's paws out of your paint job, but I am curious about what you did to keep the dust out of the paint while it was drying. It looks like you did it on your garage? How were the fumes, how did you deal with them?

Very nice indeed. :D
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
lou76

Post by lou76 »

proper...
jasonkoscho

Vampires

Post by jasonkoscho »

Yeah - the garlic worked great -- had no issues with any vampires and such, which was my biggest concern; especially this time of the year.

The dust was pretty bad -- everything was coated and you can see it in the pictures. I was painting with the garage door open and a fan venting out, but iI later found that it didnt work too well; although it didnt seem to settle too much on the panels.

The fumes were TERRIBLE! You mos def need to invest in respirator where you can change filters. The automotive paint was the wost. It's in a whole other level of paint fumes.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Nice! I think you shoulda left the wheels orange, though >: )

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
jasonkoscho

Orange.

Post by jasonkoscho »

ya know - I was going to. Keep some of the original Blur; but you cant go wrong with black rims. :)
beelzebubbles

Post by beelzebubbles »

Coolicious! :) I hope you let us know how those pulley weights work for El Presidente!
maxG

Post by maxG »

just a thought...do you have to inform your registration office that you had change the color of your bike?
justscooten

Post by justscooten »

the color of you car or bike or what ever is not a problem in the states. some people change the color of the car as some people change socks :lol:
Christy

Post by Christy »

that looks sharp!
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

I like it! I like it a lot!!

Hmmmm ... life after orange isn't so bad after all?!
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250
http://www.blainekelley.com/scooters.html

orange is good ... except in the NFL!
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

That is very nice indeed - congratulations!
Good call on the wheels, they look great in black.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

definitally a great lookin paint job. looks totally professional.
lojical1

Post by lojical1 »

Very niiiiiiice. You should get a Wrangler to match :P jk. I may have missed it but did you airbrush the color on or was it in a spray can ? How much color did it take?
"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive."
-Spike Spiegel

If ur not scared u aint drivin' fast enough .

Post by 360 »

I'm kinda jealous...when I first got my blur, that's pretty much how I wanted to paint it (maybe slightly darker military green..and a green headstock rather than all black). But I've started to grow kinda fond of the orange as time has went on.

...it IS very Halo warthog-esque
jasonkoscho

Paint

Post by jasonkoscho »

I went through about 6-7 spray cans total for the green, then a few for the wheels. My carbon-footprint jumped up a bit the past month...

I was originaly going to paint it with the dark green and do the whole Jeep Willy 1942 style, but wasnt sure how that would look with the "euro" style of the Blur compaired to the Classic style.

But I def have "The bug" now and one thing leads to the next.

and thanks!
zuman

Plastic parts?

Post by zuman »

That's a GREAT job, Jason, both in concept and in execution.
How hard was it to remove the plastic parts for painting? Did any tabs/connectors break?
Thanks.
Racenut

Re: Plastic parts?

Post by Racenut »

zuman wrote:That's a GREAT job, Jason, both in concept and in execution.
How hard was it to remove the plastic parts for painting? Did any tabs/connectors break?
Thanks.
I'd be curious on this too. I tried to get the orange sides off mine and this thing is like a mind bender puzzle, you have to take it apart in the correct order or it just doesn't come apart without breaking something.
jasonkoscho

Tabs

Post by jasonkoscho »

Thanks guys.

I was a little intimidated at first. And it def is like putting together a puzzle. Each piece requires the prior to be removed first. I didn’t break any tabs luckily; Just took my time and used a flashlight and bent the pieces to their max to see how they were put together. There were also a bunch of hidden screws that had to be removed before you could pop off the panels. The gas cap was tricky. You have to twist it to remove it. But it feels like its about to break, but it wont, it just pops off.

The ebst advise I could give is try to seperate them into sections (left side, right side, front fender, headlight etc...) and lable zip-lock baggies and place the screws in the baggies to keep everything in order. If i didnt do this, i think it would still be in pieces.

Jason.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

OK, yeah I did notice that the gas cap bezel turns a bit but like you said, it seemed like it was going to break. Which way do you turn it to get it to pop off?
jasonkoscho

gas cap

Post by jasonkoscho »

I forget... I didnt remove that until i removed the orange side panels and was able to see up where the cap locks in. I want to say to the right.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

Hmmm, and here I was thinking that getting the gas tank cover off would have to be done before the side pieces. Guess I'll have to just start taking screws out till it falls apart :D
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

All:

Just finished tearing the Blur down, and in so far as the removal of the trim ring around the gas cap goes, twist it about 15 to 20 degrees counterclockwise (or until it just won't go anymore), then lift it straight up. It also helps to maintain downward pressure on the black panel underneath it as doing so gives you more clearance for a better grip on the ring.

Regards,

Charlie