Anyone have any experience with this helmet?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DarkHorse

Anyone have any experience with this helmet?

Post by DarkHorse »

Hey guys. By chance has anyone purchased this helmet, or know of anyone that has had any experience with it. I've found a few websites that sell it for $39.95, discounted from $189.95. I'm not up on my helmet brands, so I guess I'm just wondering if you're getting exactly what you're paying for, or if it's actually a really good deal. And if it's missing a ton of features, could you give me some advice on what to look for, and what to stay away from? I take ownership of my new 2007 Blur in 10 days (first scooter), so although this is an important purchase, I also need to make a quick decision if I'm gonna order it on-line. Appreciate any help you could give. Thanx!
Attachments
Item Details<br /><br />    * advanced venting technology<br />    * one of a kind shell design<br />    * impact absorbent liner<br />    * comfort padding<br />    * meets strict DOT regulations<br />    * Lightweight Polycarbonate<br />    * Full Removable Washable Soft Comfort Inner Lining<br />
Item Details

* advanced venting technology
* one of a kind shell design
* impact absorbent liner
* comfort padding
* meets strict DOT regulations
* Lightweight Polycarbonate
* Full Removable Washable Soft Comfort Inner Lining
Hawk Solid Flat Black Motorcycle Helmet by Hawk Helmets.jpg (11.52 KiB) Viewed 1063 times
DarkHorse

Sorry, forgot to say what the heck this is.....

Post by DarkHorse »

"Hawk Solid Flat Black Motorcycle Helmet" by Hawk Helmets. Maybe some input on Hawk helmets in general would be nice, too. Thanx guys
DarkHorse

Post by DarkHorse »

I suck at this, I know.... Here's the link:
http://www.leatherup.com/c/Hawk-Helmets/2/140.html
Erlkonig

Post by Erlkonig »

This helmet may too large to fit inside of the undr seat pet carrier , if it too large you can hang the helmet by chin belt in the seat hinge hanger .
Erlkonig

Post by Erlkonig »

helmet must light in weight

good ventilatiom (otherwise get foggy) wear it and ride to see how good it

fit your head and face shape (comfort) you have to try and then buy

got some spare new face shield (very easy to damaged)
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

No clue on the quality, but I would guess it could be on part with a cheap budget HJC helmet. For 40 bucks, you really cant go wrong as long as you get the right size. If you dont like it, at least your not out 200+ dollars on a quality helmet you end up not liking, and have a backup for a 2nd rider. I highly doubt the helmet ever sold for 189, thats just marketing to make the price look better. Was probably a budget 70-90 dollar shell thats getting pushed out for newer models for this season.

Good luck, and report back if you do get one.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

GFridrich3 wrote:For 40 bucks, you really cant go wrong as long as you get the right size.
Well, if it's not built well and doesn't meet any safety standards, you can go wrong, ha, but it's probably OK. I know, your point was, it's worth $40 to check it out.

Like others have said, you really need to try on a helmet, different companies' sizes vary wildly, and different companies fit different head shapes better. Spending a little more on a helmet that fits perfectly, is comfortable and light, and has better venting and a better-engineered visor is never a bad idea, especially if it makes you more likely to wear it.

The safety standards debate (Snell vs. DOT vs. other/European standards) is ugly right now, so I won't get into that, but do some research and read all the opinions and make an informed decision. At the VERY minimum, it should be DOT approved, though if you read about DOT, you'll see how relatively meaningless DOT approval is.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
CTL11

Post by CTL11 »

I ride/race motocross and rode motorcycles since I was 14 (26 now) and I always have spent the money to buy a good helmet from a brand that is known for making helmets.

Your head is very important and you should want to protect it with something that is gonna protect it properly. A $40 helmet I would question.

I have always bought Shoei helmets and have never had any problems.