Motorcycle Ohio Safety Course

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

peabody99

Motorcycle Ohio Safety Course

Post by peabody99 »

I decided to start a new post on this b/c the good info from my ohio scooter sisters Lotte and Bonegirl is buried in various posts. I received permission today from Motorcycle Ohio to take the Basic Rider Course on the Buddy 125. I had left a message for the instructor last week, but the message just got to her.( I also mailed a letter yesterday) But to make a long story short she put me in touch with a man in Columbus , a Mr. Secrest that makes the call. He was extemely nice on the phone and in his email. I ended up emailing the letter I wrote and he responded with a permission letter cc my instructor. I probably was too much of a blow hard in the letter, but I emphasized the fact I wanted to learn to be safe on my own machine and that learning to ride shift would distract from absorbing all the important info (and in fact I would not take the class if I had to ride a motorcycle). also said I had no intention of ever riding a motorcyle. Finally I respectfully indicated that if the outcome of the class was to train as many riders as possible they would concider my request. Anyhow the scooter has to be at least 100 cc, you have to have proof of insurace, registration, and a safety check by the instructor the day of class along with the permission letter. Once you are registered for the class, here is the mailing address of
Robert Secrest:
Motorcycle Ohio
1970 Broad Street
Columbus, Ohio 43223

I would contact your instructor first to let them know what you are doing.

I am soooo excited. I really wanted to get this info given what all the posters have said about how great it is, but I just could not stomach what Lotte went through. nightmare! Plus I can take the test on site! My apologies to all the bad things I thought about Ohio government.
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

The ohio government is still all sorts of corrupt, but it's bad ass that you can take the class on your Buddy!!

Thanks a lot for posting this...

Granted, I think I'll still take the class on the bikes they provide (it's been a few years since I've been on a dirt bike, but I can still ride, I think -- really, I want to try and find out!), but this is a kick ass alternative! :D
Huh? What just happened?
smorris

Post by smorris »

That's great news! Now, if only the Met was 100cc. I sure wouldn't let her take the course on *my* scooter!

Congratulations on your quest!
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage

2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 ____ 2006 Vespa LX150 ____ 1965 Vespa 180 SS
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon ____ 1958 MGA Roadster
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

she can borrow my...125 label. now really can't you let her put some platform boots on and a have the vespa for a just couple days?
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

Go, Team Buddy, Go!!!! I am jacked up about you getting permission because I figured it could go either way: (1) Too many scooter requests and they say "NO" or (2) Too many scooter requests and they say "YES". I really did see it as a flip of the coin. Hopefully this is a step in a very positive direction for scooterists around the country. I can't tell you how many people (local scooterists) told me I would never get permission to take the course on the scooter. If you knew me well, you'd know I was even more determined to step up to the plate and fight for it. So good job :D and I can't wait to take the course (Sept. 27th).

Angie
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I can't wait to hear about the class. And I am happy this worked out and hope it does for more of us as the training really is important. wow wouldnt it be crazy if Ohio were actually progressive in some area? Mr. Secrest rocks!
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I just tried to register for the Basic Rider class in Hamilton County, and the remaining classes are booked for the year. :(

I sent an email to MOGen@dps.state.oh.us asking if it's possible to get another course added. I don't really want to wait 5 months to take the course.
NarMeowZippy

Post by NarMeowZippy »

I'm really surprised how many states won't let you take the class on your scooter. In Washington they have classes just for scooters and will even make special arrangements for normal classes so you're not forced to drive a motorcycle. Especially for people like me who can't even drive a stick... I don't want to see what it would be like driving a motorbike that shifts. Scary! :shock:
It's Scooter-rific!!!
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I just got an email from Bob Secrest, the Motorcycle Ohio Coordinator, he suggested I try a walk-in, as people do register and fail to show. I'm going to give that a shot.
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Let me know when you try to go... I still need to take the class as well. :)
Huh? What just happened?
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

lobsterman wrote:I just got an email from Bob Secrest, the Motorcycle Ohio Coordinator, he suggested I try a walk-in, as people do register and fail to show. I'm going to give that a shot.
the only caveat of walk in is you wont be able to use the buddy unless you get permission first. If you want to use the scoot, I would ask bob if he can get a letter for you to use for any future class. I think I have some suggestions up above for the letter. I start the classroom portion of the class tomorrow and field work Sat and Sun. At one point last week in the extended forcast they had SNOW. And I heard they do classes rain or shine. the horror-I have to ride the Buddy 12 miles to get to the course too. the forcast has righted itself to low 50's, thanks goodness!
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

I don't mind riding one of the provided motorcycles.

But thanks for the tip! :D
Huh? What just happened?
brat

Post by brat »

I don't know. I think if you are getting a motorcycle licence, you should be able to drive a motorcycle. I guess if they came out with a scooter licence I would be 100% behind taking the class on a scooter. which would restrict the driver from driving any kind of manual scooter or motorcycle and restrict it to be under a certain cc.

But you have to be able to drive a car to get a licence for it. Why wouldn't you have to be able to drive a motorcycle, if you are getting a motorcycle licence?

Just my 2 cents,
Susan
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I get what you are saying but they dont make you take a car driving test in a manuel shift car..or a hummer...or what have you in the event that the person who took the test in an automatic honda may drive these things one day. The range of types of vehicles that meet definition of auto is more of a difference than a buddy to a harley. legally as far it the state is concerned, a scooter is a motorcycle--- Just like a hummer and a honda are autos but entirely different.
brat

Post by brat »

California has two type of motorcycle licences. One is for mopeds and stand up motorized scooter type things. And one for scooters and motorcycles.

But I do understand what you are saying also. I like the fact that can ride any motorcycle or scooter, becuase I know how. I know when I was in MI and learning to drive, learning to drive a manual was not an option. Thank goodness my dad had the time and in the right state of mind to teach me to drive manual. With out that knowledge I would have been left in a bind more times than I can count.

Susan
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I have already obtained permssion to take the course on my own scooter.

I had to write an email indicating why I wanted to do so. My rationale was that I want to maximize my experience and skill on the vehicle I will be using in real life. That's why I am taking the course.

I understand the desire to know how to ride a manual transmission motorcycle (I own and drive only manual transmission cars), but it's irrelevent in this context in my opinion. I am taking the safety course to learn how to safely operate the scooter I own, not to learn how to shift a motorcycle I may never ride again. I may well learn how to ride a manual motorcycle later, but that's not my goal right now.

The state of Ohio does not differentiate between my Buddy and a Harley as far as licensing and testing are concerned. When you go to take the riding portion of the license test, you do it on your own bike. Why should the course be any different?
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I took the class on the Buddy this weekend. overall it went well (I passed!) most exercises were easier on the bud, but there were some where I think the motorcycle may have been easier b/c they wanted me to apply brakes when in some cases easing of the throttle was enough to nearly topple the bud! The instructors were great but they were much more experienced dealing with cycles than scoots so I think it would be great to have scooter classes. The days were pretty tiring. I had to drive 10 miles to get to the course in the cold (30's) and dark, and the first day we carried on despite sleet and snow. I recommend the class. a lot of things I was doing right self taught , but others not so much, and 900 miles of riding ingrained some bad habits. I did not experience any scooterimation- in fact some folks were asking the details about where I got the scoot, how cute it was ect. Watching the cycle weight and shifting horror unfold in the class I was very happy with my scooter desicion. In fact the one of the Harley riding instructors was seriously comtemplating a scoot by the end of the class. I am told by a classmate that our test was a little more complicated than at the BMV, but we had some practice before so it helped.
smorris

Post by smorris »

peabody99 wrote:I took the class on the Buddy this weekend. overall it went well (I passed!)
Congratulations! Now you get that coveted "M" on your driver's license.
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage

ScooterMonkey

Post by ScooterMonkey »

Congratulations! :clap: :clown: :clown: :clap:
avidgirl

Post by avidgirl »

Congrats!! :clap:

I completed the MSF course for my state today too and I am totally exhausted. Those exercises were pretty hard work!
Leigh

Creme Buddy 125
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Rock on!

I've been stalling, but I think I'm going to try to sneak in to the class on Wednesday night. :)
Huh? What just happened?
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I walked in to the class tonight. There were no open registration slots, and many people had registered months ago.

5 of us waiting for slots, and 5 slots opened. Perfect.

Class was long but good, didn't end until 10:30. Then I did my first night ride trying hard to remember everything I'd just learned, and stopped for my first fuel right about at 100 miles on the odometer on the way home. I actually really enjoyed the ride home as traffic was very light to nil and some very cool back roads almost all the way home.

btw, the brights seem pretty decent to me for very dark back roads at 35mph.

Now I have to wait until the 28th/29th for the riding portion.
BoneGirl

Lobsterman in MSF

Post by BoneGirl »

I can't believe you guys all got in? Which location did you go? Diamond Oaks? Well just have fun. XYL's had an awesome ride last night with almost 20 scooters. It was gorgeous out. The weather has really been holding out. We're going to Grand Vic Saturday and that should be fun as well.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Yup we all got in. I was there 45 minutes ahead to make sure I had a good chance. The rules say the cutoff is 15 minutes before class, but they didn't open the slots until 2 minutes after class start, and they let a guy into the walk-in lottery who showed up right then. I got a little edgy when they handed us all raffle tickets, if that guy got in and I didn't I was going to blow a gasket. Then they picked my ticket first. :D

It was Diamond Oaks, which is 7 miles of very nice back roads from my house followed by about a mile on Harrison Ave. I really enjoyed the ride there and back. The weather really was quite nice, though there was a nice layer of dew on my seat after class.

I do look forward to riding with XYL some time, though after the safety class video about the evils of alcohol and riding I have to wonder about meeting at a bar. :shock:
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

congrats on getting in! we only had one slot available and about 6 stand bys...and let me tell the standbys were crabby as heck b/c a teenage boy got the spot even though he wasnt the first waiting. Teens get priority I guess. Anyhow even on the Buddy the range is tiring. Although I think you guys are quite a bit warmer down there, so it may not be as bad as our first day ordeal (did I mention is was sleeting and snowing, oh yes I did, like 10 times) . the best feeling is at the end of the day is when you leave the range and drive on the real road again, very liberating...dont forget to look thru the turns!
Ajax

Post by Ajax »

I took the classroom portion of the MSF last night at Scarlet Oaks. It didn't teach much that you shouldn't already know to receive your temp permit. I'm looking forward to getting on the motorcycles this weekend.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Ajax,

Cool, let me know how the range portion goes this weekend. I have to wait until next weekend to do mine.

Are you riding your own bike, or theirs?
Ajax

Post by Ajax »

I'm riding their bikes. I do have some motorcycle experience. (offroad) They pushed foward the driving portion time frame because of daylight in the evening, so be prepared for that. The crowd it quite mixed. Some classmates have never even drove a car with a stick shift so this might turn out to be very interesting.
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Ajax wrote:I took the classroom portion of the MSF last night at Scarlet Oaks. It didn't teach much that you shouldn't already know to receive your temp permit. I'm looking forward to getting on the motorcycles this weekend.
I got there 2 minutes after 6, damnit -- after I left work at 5:20 so I could get there with plenty of time. :evil:

But their directions pretty much sucked (and I'd never been there before)...

Damnit damnit damnit. :x
Huh? What just happened?
Ajax

Post by Ajax »

I thought it was great dispite the cool weather. For the people in the class who have never driven anything with two wheels, it was quite difficult. Getting used to working the clutch was the most difficult part for me. The motorcycles were easy to ride. The exercises were easy. Exercises include weaving in and out through cones, s turns, braking quickly to a stop. changing lanes, and performing two u-turn within a 24x50 ft. box. Anybody who has been riding for any length of time shouldn't have a problem. The motorcycle that I used was a 125 so it wasn't that much different then the buddy. I got a perfect score on the wrtten and the riding portion. Just dress for the cold tempertures. You will be outside for 5+ hours rain or shine.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

AxeYrCat,

You've got one last chance for a walkin this year on Nov 1:
https://www.dps.state.oh.us/MOSchedulin ... rCounty=31

Vote early, vote often. Woops, that's something else. Get there earlier this time, eh?
Kevin
AYPWIP?
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Yeah, I just dunno if I can get out of work early enough to make it up there... Didn't work last time, and I gave myself 45 minutes. :cry:

BTW, I'm kinda surprised that you didn't get a hard time from your instructors for riding the Buddy to class -- you're not allowed to ride at night. :wink: :lol:
Huh? What just happened?
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

BTW, I'm kinda surprised that you didn't get a hard time from your instructors for riding the Buddy to class -- you're not allowed to ride at night.
Well, technically it wasn't night yet when I rode it there. The ride home on the other hand... :shock:

I wasn't the only one to ride there either, and I know the other folks only had their temps as well.

I'm sure nobody with their temps ever rides on "congested roads" either.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Took the MSF Basic Rider this weekend. Passed the test. :D

Have bronchitis now. Big fever Saturday night but finished the course Sunday anyway. Wife is very mad. :(

btw, I choked on the double U turn in the test after nailing it perfectly all day long in practice. Fortunately aced the rest.

Great course, very informative and lots of fun. I don't recommend doing it with bronchitis though.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Sorry you're sick, Kevin, but congrats on passing! :D

(Now you can LEGALLY ride at night! :lol: )
Huh? What just happened?
smorris

Post by smorris »

Congrats on passing the test!
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage