Helmet with Shield or Wind Shield

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

GalacticFattPatt

Helmet with Shield or Wind Shield

Post by GalacticFattPatt »

So I am wondering, would I be better off getting a 3/4 helmet with a face shield or keeping my half helmet and goggles and add a wind shield.
Pros of wind shield is it will keep cold air off me in the winter time. Plus all around protection from the elements. Cons, I might not look so cool!
Pros of the face shield, proteciton from the elements, cons, I am still going to deal with cold air on the body, and I might not look so cool.
Also, I figure a helmet with face shield will be cheeper than wind shield on the bike.
Any real world advice would be helpful.
GFP out
Evil will always prevail, cause Good is just dumb!
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

I'd go with option #3: Full-face helmet. That way, you'll look cool no matter what happens down the road...
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Agree with the FF suggestion.

Personally, I really don't like the look of the windshields, though they're definitely practical.
Huh? What just happened?
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

This is just my opinion, but pretty much anything is better than a half helmet. About all a half helmet will do in a crash is come off your head at the worst possible time. Goggles are good though because they do offer real world eye protection.

So, if it was me, I'd consider the 3/4 helmet with shield or a full face helmet. A good fitting full face will reduce noise and drag better than a 3/4. I have both types of helmets and I find I wear the FF more often because it's quieter, vents better in warm weather and is warmer in cold weather. I also know that some folks have legitimate problems with FF helmets (TMJ and other issues) so they are not for everyone.

Once you choose your helmet, you can then decide whether or not you still need a wind screen.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Windshield vs. helmet isn't really comparable because the two have entirely different functions. Choose a windshield to reduce drag, increapse speed and mpg and keep wind of of parts of your body. Choose a helmet for protecting your noggin'.

FF helmets are, of course, always the best option for protection. I have yet to find one that fits me so am going to be buying a good 3/4 with a shield (Nolan N-42) to replace my crashed helmet.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

ericalm wrote:I have yet to find one that fits me so am going to be buying a good 3/4 with a shield (Nolan N-42) to replace my crashed helmet.
Fit is definitely key, 'cause it it's uncomortable you're not going to wear it! And as "Big Ben" can attest, a helmet sitting in your basement is useless should you actually need its protective features.

It's getting close to when the "International Motorcycle Show" starts making its rounds, and that is a great place to check out lots of different helmets all within 30ft of each other! 8)
GalacticFattPatt

Okay, so FF is what I need. And it sounds like that is not over kill. I am understanding that saftey doesn't differ from motorcycle to scooter.
The windshield helps with drag and increases mpg, that is a plus in my book.
So do you put the wind shield that goes on the buddy or do you have to find one that fits?
thanks again to you all.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

GalacticFattPatt wrote:Okay, so FF is what I need. And it sounds like that is not over kill. I am understanding that saftey doesn't differ from motorcycle to scooter.
The windshield helps with drag and increases mpg, that is a plus in my book.
So do you put the wind shield that goes on the buddy or do you have to find one that fits?
thanks again to you all.
The only windshields that will fit (without a lot of drilling) are those made specifically for the Buddy.

If you want a FF with more interior room (for glasses, clausterphobia, etc.), consider getting a modular helmet. These have flip-up chin bars. Just avoid the super-cheap helmets of any variety.

Check out reviews on WebBikeWorld and Motorcycle Gear Review for some buying advice.
GalacticFattPatt

So my dealer should carry the wind shield and can put it on for me and the lot?
Does this void my warranty in any way?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

GalacticFattPatt wrote:So my dealer should carry the wind shield and can put it on for me and the lot?
Does this void my warranty in any way?
The dealer can order it if it's not in stock. From what I've seen, installation is pretty simple, but you may be able to ask the dealer to do it for free.
The windshield in no way voids your warranty. It's a Genuine-made product that doesn't alter or impact the scoot's normal functions.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

I monitor a bunch of moto-related forums so I'm not sure I ever saw a reference to this article here or not. It's long but worth a read because it offers real-world testing of a bunch of helmets. It also offers a number of new insights into effective helmet design, some of which challenge the Snell standard.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearb ... index.html

I'm guessing this link has appeared here on Modern Buddy but this will make it easier for new folks to find. Read it and decide for yourself before you spend big money on a helmet.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Wow, that was very interesting! Nothing is ever simple when it comes to choosing gear- be it a helmet or a jacket. I can imagine that the helmet standard debate will continue for quite a while. It would be excellent to have an updated Hurt report for the US, though it seems unlikely to happen anytime soon.

My boss does not thank you for posting that during working hours :roll:
ScooterLibby

Post by ScooterLibby »

I have been wieghing the windshield decision myself, but I'm confused as to the benefits to one other than wind protection. I wear a full face so I'm not really worried about that. I noticed that people talk about mpg getting higher and also top speed. Can someone explain this to me? And isn't there a risk of buffering? Does the size of the windshield make a big difference?
We're not cute, we're dangerous!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ScooterLibby wrote:I have been wieghing the windshield decision myself, but I'm confused as to the benefits to one other than wind protection. I wear a full face so I'm not really worried about that. I noticed that people talk about mpg getting higher and also top speed. Can someone explain this to me? And isn't there a risk of buffering? Does the size of the windshield make a big difference?
Bryce and I did a tag-team explanation of the benefits and aerodynamics of windshields in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=481

Scroll about halfway down. Bryce is the one who knows what he's talking about. :)

Buffering is mostly a problem with the large shield. Most people are more satisfied with small or medium shields (or cut-down large ones) which offer better visibility, little-to-no buffering and better aesthetics.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

ScooterLibby wrote: And isn't there a risk of buffering?
No, these are windshields, not antacids! :wink: (sorry, couldn't resist)

You might, however, expereince some buffeting, which can make riding much less pleasurable. However, as ericalm mentioned already, a bit of fine tuning should eliminate that issue.

I am planning to pick up my screen this weekend, though I won't decide on the size until I have a chance to see them both in person.
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

ScooterLibby wrote:I have been wieghing the windshield decision myself, but I'm confused as to the benefits to one other than wind protection.
From my own experience: I did a group ride a few weeks ago. It was fairly windy and at times it felt as though the wind would actually lift the front end off the ground! It was pretty un-nerving!

Fast forward to last week: I had the "small" windshield installed. Did another group ride on Saturday. The difference was amazing! The scoot felt much more stable in the wind. Ride was smoother and so was acceleration. Plus the benefit of keeping that chilly wind off my chest... I was much warmer riding.

I'm sure it all has to do with aerodynamic somethingorother, but I'd say the windshield is definitely worth it!
~ Shellee
Genuine Buddy 170
www.scooterdiva.com
GalacticFattPatt

Buffering?

Please define Buffering.
I read the other post but it wasn't clear. Is it when you get blown side to side?
vitaminC

Re: Buffering?

Post by vitaminC »

GalacticFattPatt wrote:Please define Buffering.
I read the other post but it wasn't clear. Is it when you get blown side to side?
Again, you are thinking about buffeting, not buffering.

Buffeting as it pertains to bike has to do with how the air hits you. Without a windshield it hits you in a uniform manner- helmet, chest, etc. Adding a windshield changes the airflow, which in some cases results in the air being "rough" as it his you. Because there is now a windshield, there is a pocket of "dead" air behind the shield that will result in backpressure as the air moves from behind you to the dead spot near the windshield (think of what it feels like to drive in a convertible with the top down, with and without a windblocker behind the seats).

So if you're movning at a constant speed with no windshield, the air will move at a pretty much constant rate over you. However, with a windshield, you may experience buffeting as a result of the backpressure, where the wind is essentially oscillating between hard-soft, which gets very annoying very fast.

As mentioned above, some cures include using a different sized shield, trimming a shield, or putting some holes in the lower part of the shield to reduce the backpressure.

Anyway, it's hard to describe, but if it happens, you'll know it...
GalacticFattPatt

Oh!
Got it!
Do we have any feed back on the short shield of that happening. I am leaning to getting the short shield istead of the tall one. I would hate to invest the funds only to have that happen and not be happy with it. If that is the case, then I just assume keep the bike naked as it is.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

is anyone actually having problems with buffeting with the large windshield? that's what i have. so far it's still the original height, and i haven't had any problems. i love not having the wind hit my helmet. when it's cold i do feel the wind sometimes hitting the back of my calves, but that's about it, and i can't even say for sure that that wasn't there before i got the windshield.
GalacticFattPatt

Hey Sunshine, can you post a photo of you on the scooter with the tall. I am very interested in the look with someone on it.
Thanks
okiejack

Post by okiejack »

The issues should be:

1. How fast do you ride,

2. How far are your rides,

3. :How cold do you ride.

Assuming you use your Buddy as primary transportation and keep up ;with in-town traffic and will be riding in temperatures around freezing,

The optimum solution is a windshield which is high enough to barely look over, but no higher and two helmets ... one without a face shield and the other with ... depending on the temp.

If cost is the major consideration, go with the helmet with shield.

I have owned several bikes and ended up with a shield on each.

My wife has a Buddy shield on order and I have one, on route, for my KYMCO 150. I also have two helmets as per the above. I will ride at any temperature (in Oklahoma) but not in rain, snow, or slick roads.
GalacticFattPatt

Okay, I hear ya.
My dealer carries the shield.
My thinking was getting the short. But I am going to be riding in the winter, in St. Pete FL. It still gets pretty cold here. For us at least. So the tall sounds like the better investment. Do we know how tall the tall is? As in a measusement. I could find that info anywhere.
I going to be looking for a modular helmet on line as well. They are that expensive on Amazon.
Thanks for all the tips and advice.
GFP OUT
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

ScooterLibby wrote:I have been wieghing the windshield decision myself, but I'm confused as to the benefits to one other than wind protection. I wear a full face so I'm not really worried about that. I noticed that people talk about mpg getting higher and also top speed. Can someone explain this to me? And isn't there a risk of buffering? Does the size of the windshield make a big difference?
I have the tall windshield because it gets really cold here in Ohio. The bigger windshield protrects my hands from some of the cold and has made a huge difference in temperature when riding behind it. As far as MPG? Haven't really noticed.