Rattler taking alot of abuse.

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KABanshee

Rattler taking alot of abuse.

Post by KABanshee »

Since I purchased my Rattler 110 3 months ago I have put over 1000 miles on the motor. I ride 36 miles round trip 16 days a month. If it's raining sideways I drive the Duramax. I notice lately that the Rattler is starting to give me fits as far as what seems to be vapor locks. I only notice it on the stretches that I am in the wot position for sustained amounts of time. This one part of my commute I have to jump on I-5 to cross the Columbia River into Portland it's a 50 mph stretch so I am able to keep up with the traffic. I have had it sputter on me a few times while crossing the bridge and that is a butt puckering experience with no shoulders on the 3 lane wide bridge. Scoots don't like to coast very far if you haven't found this out on your own yet. I am thinking that the type of riding I put on the Rattler is going to shorten the life of the Rattler drastically and start causing high maintenance costs. I think for the type of riding I am demanding from the Scooter I would have been more happier with a Blur. The Rattler is a very fun 2-stroke and I enjoy the heck out of wheelie'n it and commuting around the burro but it isn't what I need for my daily commute. I have been looking for a Ducati S4R Monster or a Buell Lightning XB12scg.
What are your guys thoughts on using the Rattler for commuting w/lots of wot spurts?
"Hey Little Buddy" - Jonas Grumby
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

My normal commute I keep it wot a lot too (more than I should be according to the posted limit :roll: ) and don't have too many problems with the dreaded vapor lock. Only if I have a lapse and top off the tank has it happened. If it was happening all the time I could custom drill a hole in the cap too, kinda ATV breather tube style.
EZPZ #65
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

I'd ride the stuffing out of it till the warranty is almost up, then decide what to do. As far as the vapor lock, I believe the emissions system (carbon box) is the culprit, and I've "heard" of some peeps disconnecting them. Especially all that fresh NW air, no smog problems there.
Evans Performance

Post by Evans Performance »

i have looked into the vapor lock problem cause it happens to me when i fill it all the way up. the vent for he tank sits lower than the filler neck so, if you fill it higher than the vent, it cant get air in. the only fix would be to have some sort of vent in the filler neck. i am working on a good solution and i will post pics when i do get it.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

I can't imagine 1000 miles in 3 months would be considered abusive. After all, it is a motor vehicle and is meant to be ridden. I would just be careful not to overheat it in the summer heat, especially stop and go traffic.
"The All Is One..."
KABanshee

Post by KABanshee »

Hugo wrote:I can't imagine 1000 miles in 3 months would be considered abusive. After all, it is a motor vehicle and is meant to be ridden. I would just be careful not to overheat it in the summer heat, especially stop and go traffic.
I look forward to the day I getthe chance to ride in warm weather. It was in the 50's here today. I will have to get away from filling up all the way to the top of the neck. Hopefully that will work. My motorcycle will have to wait a few months. I just dropped a bomb on a Samsung 52" 1080p
120 hz DLP HDTV tonight. Happy Father's Day!!!
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

KABanshee wrote:
Hugo wrote:I can't imagine 1000 miles in 3 months would be considered abusive. After all, it is a motor vehicle and is meant to be ridden. I would just be careful not to overheat it in the summer heat, especially stop and go traffic.
I look forward to the day I getthe chance to ride in warm weather. It was in the 50's here today. I will have to get away from filling up all the way to the top of the neck. Hopefully that will work. My motorcycle will have to wait a few months. I just dropped a bomb on a Samsung 52" 1080p
I have NEVER filled any of my scooters up to the neck (simply for fear of spillage). I never had an air-lock issue either.
Don't give up on the Rattler just yet. Unlike many of the major manufacturers (Piaggio---Honda), it may require a bit of tweaking. It is surely loads of fun... :twisted:
"The All Is One..."
KABanshee

Post by KABanshee »

Hugo wrote:
KABanshee wrote:
I have NEVER filled any of my scooters up to the neck (simply for fear of spillage). I never had an air-lock issue either.
Don't give up on the Rattler just yet. Unlike many of the major manufacturers (Piaggio---Honda), it may require a bit of tweaking. It is surely loads of fun... :twisted:
I totally agree, the fun factor is incredible. I had some nice weather today and was able to get out for some enjoyable warm weather riding. I didn't have any issues w/the vapor locking today tank was half full I'm sure it is the issue of topping off.