California license M1 or M2?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JoeyPounds

Post by JoeyPounds »

And how hard is the Permit test?

BTW I just got a Black 2007 125 Buddy with .6 miles on it.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

You want an M1.

The permit test is pretty easy—just read the book. If you fail, you can go out, read the book again, and retake it immediately.

The riding test for your license is pretty difficult, depending on where you go. If this is your first scooter/motorcycle, I always recommend taking the MSF Basic Rider Course. It'll teach you a lot of the necessary skills and you won't have to take the riding test to get your license.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
JoeyPounds

Post by JoeyPounds »

Thanks! M-1 it is. Wish me luck.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

for those of us who are not from CA, what is M1 and M2?
JoeyPounds

Post by JoeyPounds »

The M1 & M2 are two different classes of lic. available in CA. Basically the M2 is a moped lic.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d06/vc12804_9.htm

M2 is for a moped, motorized bicycle or motorized scooter (which means a Razor, stand up-type scoot with a motor)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

ericalm wrote:The riding test for your license is pretty difficult, depending on where you go. If this is your first scooter/motorcycle, I always recommend taking the MSF Basic Rider Course. It'll teach you a lot of the necessary skills and you won't have to take the riding test to get your license.
Would you clarify? You mean if you take the MSF BRC you don't take a riding test to get your certificate to turn into the DMV to get your license?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ryder1 wrote:
ericalm wrote:The riding test for your license is pretty difficult, depending on where you go. If this is your first scooter/motorcycle, I always recommend taking the MSF Basic Rider Course. It'll teach you a lot of the necessary skills and you won't have to take the riding test to get your license.
Would you clarify? You mean if you take the MSF BRC you don't take a riding test to get your certificate to turn into the DMV to get your license?
Yes, there is a test at the end of the BRC. Few fail it, especially having just been taught all of the necessary maneuvers.

The CA DMV made our license riding test more difficult last year. If strictly administered, the damn thing is tough to pass, even on a scoot. i have a feeling the people giving the test may have eased up a bit.
paige

Post by paige »

3 of the 12 people in my class failed- after one had been asked to leave before the test.
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

paige, what state are you testing in? If you care to share that info.