Another Happy Scooter Owner! Roughhouse 50

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Cochese

Another Happy Scooter Owner! Roughhouse 50

Post by Cochese »

...and it's green, just like Knox's (who got his only TWO DAYS before me!)

Thank you Scoot Richmond, y'all rock.

Picked it up yesterday, and if it hadn't been for work, I'd have been riding it ever since. I went to a 7-11 here to fill up with 93 Octane yesterday. I pre-paid the lady at the register with a $5 spot, then had to go back in to get my change! :lol: $3.60 to fill up!! (hindsight being what it is, I should have saved the receipt).

Freakin' awesome.

Anyway, now that I've had it for a little over a 24 hour period, I need to get it de-restricted. Driving around the neighborhoods it's fine, but I have to commute along a road that goes to one lane for about a mile up a hill. So far there's been light traffic, but I don't want to get in the way of angry commuters.

I've been told the Roughhouse is almost like a different bike when it's de-restricted. Anyone have any before and after experience with this? What do I have to look forward to?
Last edited by Cochese on Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Welcome to the club!

I have a Rattler 50
It was de restricted + a prima pipe, rollers, jet kit from the dealer, when I bought it so I dont have any "before" experience
I have had mine to 45MPH (gps confirmed) thats 49 on the speedo) & I think it will do 50MPH if I push it.
I am also not a small guy - 6' / 210lbs
My town is full of hills & it does pretty well on them.
(downtown is 200 feet below uptown)

About octane... there have been a lot of discussions on these boards about gas... the one I buy is to use the lower octane - 87 is premium in the pacific rim & these are low compression engines & the high octane is designed to help high compression engines.
viewtopic.php?t=3234
viewtopic.php?t=1015
viewtopic.php?t=3305
My Rattler 50 is running great on regular.

....and now my plug for the Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunt
Lets see a pic of the new roughhouse with a fire truck
topic4570.html
Cochese

Post by Cochese »

Thanks for the welcome, Lemont! Those numbers are pretty much what I'm looking for, but it seems there is generally a lot of trial and error involved with these performance mods..thanks for the info.

Luckily, I've been a great lurker and have already read those octane threads. I only put in 93 because I've never put in the most expensive option before (on ANY vehicle I've either owned or driven), and I wanted to actually do it, but be sort of tongue-in-cheek about it at the same time. 8)

If possible, I'd like to keep this topic about the de-restriction that is imminent, and the expected benefits I'm likely to get. Knox (hopefully he's still around), have you gotten yours de-restricted yet? It seems like this would be a default thing to do, living in your mountainous state.. (CO, from your posts)

Anybody else? I know there's not a lot of Roughhouse owners on here, but maybe some anecdotal evidence? :)
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Cochese wrote:If possible, I'd like to keep this topic about the de-restriction that is imminent, and the expected benefits I'm likely to get.
Do you, by chance have a GPS unit?
I would love to see (& I bet others would find it usefull) your top speeds at stock, & than after de-restriction (and any other mods you make)
obvisouly you can keep track of the indicated numbers... but as you probalby know from other threads, the speedos tend to be a little optimistic
Cochese

Post by Cochese »

No, unfortunately I don't have a GPS. I was taking my speedo #s with a hearty grain of salt today; indicated I was hitting nearly 50 downhill, and a bit over 35 on the flats, WOT.

I felt bad because I'm supposed to be breaking it in, which, according to the manual, means I'm not allowed to go WOT.. (they gave me a Black Cat manual, so I guess they're pretty much the same). However, I haven't been holding WOT for more than like 30 seconds, so hopefully it doesn't hurt the engine too much..

I can't wait to see how it goes once it "loosens up," and it's de-restricted.
KABanshee

Post by KABanshee »

Congrat's on the new house. So derestricting is as easy as taking a vice grip and crimping the hose coming off of the pipe. Snap!!!
"Hey Little Buddy" - Jonas Grumby
Knox

You'll love it even more

Post by Knox »

I've buried my speedometer many times, so yes you need to get that done. Glad you got it - we'll be learning together.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Run 87 octane... 93 will not improve your performance at all. Unless you factor in a lighter wallet :lol:
EZPZ #65
Cochese

Post by Cochese »

Alright, so I got my Roughhouse de-restricted, and it is a totally different machine.

Really, it's awesome. It's exactly what I wanted. I don't have to pay taxes every year on it, I don't have to get it registered, I don't have to put plates on it, it keeps up and at times can pass traffic (after it was de-restricted) and the last tank of gas got me 80mpg without even trying.

Plus, it's fun as hell to ride. That was something I didn't expect, but it's a welcome surprise. I was pretty timid with it at first, but I've got over 200 miles on it so far and I've become much more confident driving it.

Usually when I spend a bunch of money on something I get some level of buyers remorse. I haven't had ANY of that. Even if I did, I could just turn on CNBC and check the price of oil--I'd feel better instantly.

Now, to somehow get it to 55mph... <evil laugh>
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

ssshhh! How many times do I have to tell people to keep it on the DL about the fun factor with these Rattlers and R'Houses... If that gets out the wives will surely catch on we didn't get them "to save on gas". Judging by the membership over at genuinerattler (yahoo group) I'd say most guys are doing a good job of keeping the secret (73 members and 99.9% are male). Roughouse owner's are welcome too :)
EZPZ #65
Cochese

Post by Cochese »

Heh, sorry. I guess it's bad if people know how much fun one can have driving even a 50cc scoot :)
KABanshee

Post by KABanshee »

Hey stop it you know there is no F-U-N in 2-stroke. :P

She is really running mean and lean lately.....It's only a matter of time I get a ticket for reckless wheelie'n at an intersection. :shock:
"Hey Little Buddy" - Jonas Grumby
Mrs.Spaceman

Post by Mrs.Spaceman »

Hi all, I'm new to the board. And I must make up the .01 percent that is female! I have a Roughhouse with about 150 miles on it, and am getting it derestricted soon (the dealer said he'd do it at 200 miles). So, I'll be able to give you a good comparison.

Rachael
Knox

Post by Knox »

Thanks Spaceman - There's other women here! There's a site that's all women too (i won't post it for the Admin's sake;) Would love to see the feedback on the before/after.
Rangerdavie

Roughhouse Owner HAPPY

Post by Rangerdavie »

I too just bought a Green Roughhouse 50 this past Saturday and am a huge fan. My wife and I ride it together to work 7 miles and back everyday now except for rainy days in Michigan. Totally loving it.
Mrs.Spaceman

Post by Mrs.Spaceman »

I just got my Roughhouse de-restricted. One-word, AWESOME!!!!! I cannot believe how much my acceleration improved. Instead of cars slowing waiting for me at a stoplight, I'm now waiting for cars :D

On the top end, I'm not sure how fast it's going. I'm burying the speedometer, and unfortunately I don't have a GPS. I've gotta be going at least 50. I know the speedometer reads about between 3 and 5 mph slow at 40, and when it got to 50 I was still speeding up. At that point I had to slow down because traffic was in my way.

There are rare instances where I would even need to go that fast. It's the acceleration I am totally digging.

I must mention that I weigh 115 lbs, so it might not make such a huge difference for most of you guys.

My husband doesn't have his de-restricted yet, so if we get around to it this weekend we are going to try and have someone tape us side by side.

Rachael
Cochese

Post by Cochese »

Isn't it amazing?? I was just thinking today how much cooler it is that I can hit lights that are timed for people going 45 mph, and how much time that saves me getting to work.

As far as the weight issue, I'm up at 2 bills, and the acceleration and top speed are the same for me as you've described. The only difference is getting past the indicated 50mph happens only going downhill.

Plus, I've driven my girlfriend to the store a couple times with it, and it handles us both fine (plus groceries). She's about your weight.

I've only got about 280 miles on it, and I've averaged 78mpg. It was actually a little worse before I got it de-restricted, but that was probably because I wasn't being very even on the gas; I was trying to follow the break-in procedure the dealer told me. Hopefully it "loosens up" at some point and the mpg, acceleration and top end will slightly increase. It could happen! :)

Also--Rangerdavie welcome to the board. Did you get yours de-restricted yet?
IceHouse

Post by IceHouse »

Hey Cochese,

What did your dealer recommend for break-in?
Cochese

Post by Cochese »

Just don't keep it wide open for extended periods. Vary the amount of throttle for the first 100 miles or so. That's pretty much all they told me.
Rangerdavie

Derestriction is a yes

Post by Rangerdavie »

Thanks for the kind welcome. I HAVE indeed derestricted ours and enjoy the same bliss as described on this forum. Is it not amazing, everyone? I mean, truly. Gotta love the roughhouse.

Some other great things I like about it that haven't been posted here yet are that it is great looking, has great storage space (we just bought a buddy storage trunk and installed it), and best of all: it really rides great off road like in grass and such.

We have had a blast letting family and friends drive it.