Locking steering column- problem

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Tamari

Locking steering column- problem

Post by Tamari »

Mates,

I am having trouble locking my steering column. I followed the instructions in the owner's manual, but can't seem to get it to lock. Anyone elese having this problem, and anyone who can help?

Thanks a bunch, and fun, safe riding!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Buddy locking: it is all about a gentle touch. hold the hand break (I do the left), turn the handle bar to the left-hold break in, gently wiggle the steering and turn the key to the far left. to unlock, same thing -think gentle. I cringe when I watch my spouse wrestle with sweet buddy. Dont push the key in too hard either direction, that only unlocks the seat.
Tamari

Post by Tamari »

Thanks Bbuddy99! I just followed your advice and it worked first time. I guess the key is gentleness. Thanks again. At least now I can have some peace of mind when I make a quick stop somewhere that someone won't wheel my precious Buddy away until I get a lock (which I intend to do very soon).
Tamari

Post by Tamari »

Peabody99,

Sorry I got your name wrong. Thanks again.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

bump

This is driving me insane!

I can't get it to lock. :oops:

C'mon, somebody tell me the secret words.
GenuineSlacker

Post by GenuineSlacker »

I had a problem the first week but now I do it first try every time. I noticed that if i had the column turned ALL the way left, it wouldnt lock. So I turn it all the way left and then just a touch back to the right and turn the key. Works like a charm everytime.
"Angels who are forced from heaven have no choice but to become demons." - Vicious
avidgirl

Post by avidgirl »

Here is what I do:

Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left. Apply tension to the key and try to gently turn the key while I also turn the steering wheel slowly to the right. I use the same gentle approach when unlocking too.

Works for me every time.
Leigh

Creme Buddy 125
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Thanks GenuineSlacker!

Went down to the garage and tried that and worked first shot.

I no longer feel like a complete moron.

avidgirl's advice was waiting here when I returned, thanks and I'll keep that in mind as well.

You guys are the best.