Polini air filter

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

nissanman

Polini air filter

Post by nissanman »

note to self... open air filters do NOT like heavy rain. Wait for storm to pass next time, then ride :oops:
EZPZ #65
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

Note to you,

Duh!
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

It was either stay stuck at work or ride home... and I wasn't staying stuck at work :x
EZPZ #65
Hugo

Re: Polini air filter

Post by Hugo »

nissanman wrote:note to self... open air filters do NOT like heavy rain. Wait for storm to pass next time, then ride :oops:
What type of air filter are you using? The stock one is covered quite well.
"The All Is One..."
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

I've got the Polini Air filter on it http://www.mrp-speed.com/store/product. ... 260&page=2 You can get them trough MRP stores. I knew it was a chance riding in the rain with that filter on, but I took the chance anyway. Looks like I'll be drying out my filter today. Gives me a good excuse to play with my scooter on Dad's day :D
EZPZ #65
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

EZPZ #65
cmiller36

Post by cmiller36 »

nissanman:

you notice any difference in performance with that air filter?
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Not yet, haven't changed the jet to see what it's got for potential. All it's added so far is noise. I think I'm going to modify the stock airbox to hold the Polini (for water protection) and see how that works. I've got a couple of jets on order with my dealer then I'll see if the extra airflow makes any difference.
EZPZ #65
Groovealufagus

Post by Groovealufagus »

So, with the prima pipe and the polini filter, just how much louder is your rattler?
BGK

Post by BGK »

nissanman wrote:Not yet, haven't changed the jet to see what it's got for potential. All it's added so far is noise. I think I'm going to modify the stock airbox to hold the Polini (for water protection) and see how that works. I've got a couple of jets on order with my dealer then I'll see if the extra airflow makes any difference.
Just go with the stock airbox. I've tried many different kinds of open paper or foam filters and the only thing I've ended up with is a lot of noise and a motor that is much more difficult to jet. I've never noticed a performance increase. Maybe on something that's putting out more than 20 hp it could be helpful, but not on your average scooter.

Intake noise can be louder than exhaust noise. Many people think that when some hack wrench tells them to put a UNI pod filter and an expansion chamber on that it's the pipe that made it loud. It's the worthless filter.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

After my dance in the rain the other day I modified my stock airbox to hold my Polini air filter... don't know how it'll sound on the ride to work yet, because it's still raining. So now I have a stock looking intake without the little air opening that the stock setup provided. I need to get some pics :P
EZPZ #65
Groovealufagus

Post by Groovealufagus »

nissanman wrote:After my dance in the rain the other day I modified my stock airbox to hold my Polini air filter... don't know how it'll sound on the ride to work yet, because it's still raining. So now I have a stock looking intake without the little air opening that the stock setup provided. I need to get some pics :P
Still wondering how loud the combined prima and polini parts made your rattler? Hoping that adding them will make enough noise that the next frakker who pulls out in front of me will hear me coming to help them be more aware to look for me... what do you think? 3 near accidents and 1 crash with broken bones make me feel like doing anything I can to raise awareness that I'm in the vicinity.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

You'll be riding one loud weedwacker :!: People seem to hear me just fine as I approach.
EZPZ #65
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Yeah, I think a 2-stroker gets plenty of attention on the road.
"The All Is One..."
goatlover

Post by goatlover »

I used to run a booty (Slip cover ) over the pod and it worked for sand and water.
Groovealufagus

Post by Groovealufagus »

goatlover wrote:I used to run a booty (Slip cover ) over the pod and it worked for sand and water.
Did you make it yourself?