Any universal windshields

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

okiejack

Any universal windshields

Post by okiejack »

Since Genuine seems to have and undertermined backlog for the short windshield, I'm interested in a universal windshield which will fit the Buddy 125.

Does anyone have any experience with such?
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

On the Buddy brochure, www.genuinescooters.com/pdf/buddy.pdf, you'll see a third windshield (the larger photo) that I haven't heard anyone talking about yet. To me it looks like a better option than the other two. IMO the tall is too tall the short is too short, but the one pictured on the pink buddy looks like a good alternative. (Okay I feel like I'm telling the Goldilocks story.) I know our dealer here in Cincinnati carries it but I forget the brand name of it - I don't believe it's made by Genuine but seems to fit the buddy quite well.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The windshield in the large pic from the brochure just looks like a bad idea to me. It appears to be quite tall and is raised up over the headset at almost a right angle, meaning wind would come in under it. Strange design.

I have seen some "universal" windshields for sale on eBay but don't trust them at all. Every scoot or cycle has its own headset shape and varying dimensions and mounting issues. So I doubt that there are any that are truly universal and of decent quality.

However, there may be PGO windshields for BuBu or Ligero available in Europe or Asia if you're willing to look that hard to find one.
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

ericalm wrote:The windshield in the large pic from the brochure just looks like a bad idea to me. It appears to be quite tall and is raised up over the headset at almost a right angle, meaning wind would come in under it. Strange design.
I agree with you on the design. That's why I didn't get it myself. But I did see one in person (uninstalled) and it's in between the tall and short - a decent size actually.

I'm wondering if the extra airflow would help with any buffeting issues mentioned in other threads associated with a taller windshield. Or does it just defeat the purpose of a windshield all together? Any thoughts?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

SteMer wrote:
ericalm wrote:The windshield in the large pic from the brochure just looks like a bad idea to me. It appears to be quite tall and is raised up over the headset at almost a right angle, meaning wind would come in under it. Strange design.
I agree with you on the design. That's why I didn't get it myself. But I did see one in person (uninstalled) and it's in between the tall and short - a decent size actually.

I'm wondering if the extra airflow would help with any buffeting issues mentioned in other threads associated with a taller windshield. Or does it just defeat the purpose of a windshield all together? Any thoughts?
I'd suspect that this windshield would cause a bit of choppiness, but it's hard to say... I haven't read many complaints about buffeting, though it seems not a lot of people are getting the tall windshield and leaving it that height.
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

I had a universal windshield on my Vino 125, and it was the same basic shape as the universal one in the brochure. It definitely let wind in under the shield and made for some choppiness when the wind hit it a certain way.
~ Shellee
Genuine Buddy 170
www.scooterdiva.com
okiejack

Post by okiejack »

I would definitely prefer the windshield designed for the Buddy but Genuine can't seem to handle the demand and cold weather is sneaking in.

Others have posted windshield trimming techniques on this forum. Most cities of any size have shops that specialize in triming windshields, even shaping for the headlight.

My main concerns are, in the following order;

1. it must be at least as tall as the Buddy short,

2. fits the side mirror holes and

3. has quality "glass" and fittings.
okiejack

Post by okiejack »

On second review of the Genuine "universal", it appears that the bottom is curved and that the windshield can be lowered on the "rails" to provide a satisfactory fit.

I wish Genuine could provide more details. I wonder if they have any in inventory.

Thanks for all the posts on this subject.
amyodis

Buddy windshield

Post by amyodis »

I just got my black Buddy 125 Friday night with the shorter windshield and the chrome front rack installed. The short windshield looks great! Even the guys at the shop where I bought thought it really popped with the black Buddy. I hope to post a picture soon, but it is raining here in sunny So. Cal.