Three Firsts- One Day

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lobsterman

Three Firsts- One Day

Post by lobsterman »

So today I decide to ride the scooter to work for the first time despite the chance of a "few showers" right around quitting time (much more predicted for later).

All went well on the way there, including my first ride on a multi-lane 50mph road. It was only for 1/2 mile, and Buddy kept pace just fine, but it was slightly unnerving.

Then, at 3:30 it started to rain. :roll:

So, rode home in the rain. First time in the rain for me on a motorized two wheel vehicle. Rain gear? What rain gear?

So anyway, Buddy handled the 7 mile ride in the rain, big hills and lots of stop lights and all, just fine. I did fine too, but the tops of my legs got wet (and cold).

I think some rain gear might be in order.

Also, how do I keep my visor from fogging on my FF helmet? Should I spit on it like scuba divers do?
brat

Post by brat »

Fog in a helmet is a issue for all. I adjust my vent, if that does not work I crack my visor open just a little bit. There are things you can treat your visor with to help with fog, but I forgot the name.
vitaminC

Re: Three Firsts- One Day

Post by vitaminC »

lobsterman wrote: Also, how do I keep my visor from fogging on my FF helmet? Should I spit on it like scuba divers do?
Look for some "Fog City" inserts. They stick to the inside of your shield, and will help prevent fogging.

You could also try not breathing :wink:
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

vitaminC -

Not breathing! Huh, I wonder why I didn't think of that.

I'll look into the Fog City things, thanks.

brat -

Normally I also crack it open when not moving and it de-fogs when I get moving. Didn't work in the rain today. I just pretended it was foggy outside and rode accordingly.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

What about that anti-fog stuff you rub on? Anyone know if that works?
GenuineSlacker

Post by GenuineSlacker »

Heh, try just using a half helm with goggles in the rain, i never fog up...
"Angels who are forced from heaven have no choice but to become demons." - Vicious
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

ericalm wrote:What about that anti-fog stuff you rub on? Anyone know if that works?
Here is a review of Fog Tech, which is a coating that you apply.

And here is another regarding the Fog City visor insert.

The advantage of the insert is that once you stick it on, you're probably good for the season, while the liquid stuff will need more regular re-application.

Guess I'm lucky, as the weather has to be pretty horrible before my visor starts to fog up 8)
James Tate

Post by James Tate »

Nolan helmets have a standard visor insert, a second layer flush against the shield, that works great.
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

I agree with the Fog City inserts. Have used them for years and they perform as expected.
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug