De-restricting Black Cat

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ovrkast

De-restricting Black Cat

Post by ovrkast »

Hello All-

I just recently purchased a Black Cat and am very new to the Scooter World. Is there a tutorial with pictures as to how to "de-restrict" a Black Cat scooter? I've come across some for the Buddy's and others but not for the Black Cat in specific. I'm not mechanically savvy so a detail instruction list with pictures would be greatly appreciated.

The dealer that I bought it from will not perform the task, and other dealers around me want to charge about $200 for it. I've already spent $2200 out the door for this scooter and would like to conserve some cash if it's something that a novice like myself can do by following instructions.

Thanks in advance.
vespatech

Post by vespatech »

the easiest thing you can do is pull off you exhaust and separate the the wide washer(restrictor) from the narrow one(gasket)
BlackCat50

Post by BlackCat50 »

vespatech wrote:the easiest thing you can do is pull off you exhaust and separate the the wide washer(restrictor) from the narrow one(gasket)
That is what the dealer considers derestricting. They wanted to charge around $100 for 15 minutes of work.

I added a prima pipe, kevlar belt, 5 gram weights, stiffer clutch and torque springs and it is like a different bike. It runs around 52 down hill, 45 on the flats, and 20 up a very steep grade. This while carrying a 230 lb rider. Stock it would do maybe 40 downhill, 8 up the hill and 28 on the flats. Speed are true not indicated. The speedometer shows about 12% faster than true. (I feel like suing for false advertising over that.)
BGK

Post by BGK »

It's a bit more than 15 minutes of work to do the full derestriction. Total real world time with a quick shake down ride is about twice that, or a little more. Some do it for free. 40 or 50 bucks seems to be about the going rate. 200.00 seems like a lot. If they are taking the time to weld off the air injection tube then 200.00 just seems a bit opportunistic.
vespatech

Post by vespatech »

yep i know we only charge 80 for a full derestrict and it takes about 45 min and thats quick for me
ovrkast

Post by ovrkast »

vespatech wrote:the easiest thing you can do is pull off you exhaust and separate the the wide washer(restrictor) from the narrow one(gasket)
Can you provide any pictures? I'm really not that mechanically savvy but I can follow pictures.
vespatech

Post by vespatech »

there is a shortage of scoots right now especially genuine who is claiming no shipments until september so getting a pic aint gonna be that easy i'll see if i can find an exhaust that ive already done. the transmission you wont be able to do unless you have an impact wrench..fyi
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

http://www.scootnfast.com/ There's some general de-restricting steps listed on this site.
EZPZ #65