Silly question.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

golfingirl

Silly question.

Post by golfingirl »

Okay. I feel ridiculous asking this question but when does everyone get their oil changes done? I had my first one at 300 miles. I now have 900 miles on it and think I'm due.
Laura
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

HI GG -I think the second oil change is 1000 miles after the first (according to my dealer who BTW rec' a first at 500) I would check with your dealer though for sure!
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

Here's what I got from the dealer:
First oil change at 500 miles (do the rear gear oil then as well)
After that, change it every 1200-1500 miles. Change the oil filter every third oil change.

It certainly won't hurt to change oil every 1000 miles, especially if you do a lot of short trips that don't allow the engine to fully warm up (errands, shopping, etc.)

As always, YMMV.
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
pesqueeb

Post by pesqueeb »

My dealer also said first at 500 then every 1000. Personally, I would change the filter every time I change the oil. There not that much and I think its worth the piece of mind.
Take off the tin foil hat and let the voices drive for a minute. It'll be fine.
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

Thanks everyone for your input. I guess I got confused from the manual which said first 500km then every 1000km after that to keep the warranty effective.

That would translate to 300 miles then every 600 miles, right? The odometer is in miles, isn't it?

I did my first oil change etc at 300 miles... plus another 600 miles = 900 miles... so I think I'm due now. Am I confused??? :?
Laura
GatsbyGirl

Post by GatsbyGirl »

My dealer said 500 miles for the first and then every 1,000 miles after that. I believe Genuine's "official" stance currently is 300 miles. I figure split the difference and go in at 400.

Addition:

Ah, here's the link to the official answer. First service at 200 miles (uh, no) and then 1,000 to 1,500 thereafter (or 1,500 to 2,000 if you use synthetic oil):

viewtopic.php?t=428&highlight=oil+change
GenuineSlacker

Post by GenuineSlacker »

Right under the odometer it says 500km and 1000km (325 and 650 miles) My dealer said that somewhere BEFORE 500 mi should be good and then about anywhere between 600 and 800 miles after that or so. To add my two cents...
"Angels who are forced from heaven have no choice but to become demons." - Vicious
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

And don't forget, as has been mentioned elsewhere, you MUST have the Buddy serviced by your dealer before or at 500 miles in order to keep your warranty. Other maintenance you can do yourself.
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

Thanks. That clarifies everything for me. I was right on all accounts... conservatively. I did have the first oil change and inspection from my dealer so my warranty is in effect... phew. Good to know I can do the others myself if needed. Good to go!

Cheers. :D
Laura