Stella question: 2003 with 248 miles... Change the fluids?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

AxeYrCat

Stella question: 2003 with 248 miles... Change the fluids?

Post by AxeYrCat »

So, I just got a pretty great deal on an '03 Stella, but I'm wondering if I should change the oil since it's so old... :?: :?:

Normally, I would just go ahead and do it, but I often hear talk of the magic mystery oil that comes from the factory in many cases (granted, not in relation to the Stella, but it still has me wondering) and supposedly assists with proper break-in.

All that to say: If it were yours, would you change it, or would you leave the old gunk in there? :? :|

Thanks in advance! :D
Huh? What just happened?
sotied

Post by sotied »

Change it.
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

I would, just so I would start with a clean slate, not knowing what the previous owner might or might have not added in there.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

I understand oil has a tendency to break down by itself over time. You've probably got dino-based stuff in there (as opposed to synthetic), which I think should be replaced with dino-based stuff until it is broken-in. After that, you could go for synthetic. I know this to be a philosophy for 4-strokes, but I think it applies to 2-strokes as well.

-jetboy
"All these things - like telly witch-doctors, and advertising pimps, and show business pop song pirates - they despise us - dig? - they sell us cut-price sequins when we think we're getting diamonds."
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

i would change it also... would you eat something that has been left out for 5 years? :wink:
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Five years? Change it. What are we talking about though - the 2 cycle oil remaining in the oil injection reservoir or the gear oil in the tranny. You didn't say. I'd suggest changing both if you think that the fluids have been sitting for 5 years.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I'd replace all the fluids. It's easy, and you can make sure chunks of engine aren't coming out with the gear oil. Maybe give the carb a bath, too.

Sometimes when people find 30-year old Vespas that have been sitting in barns, they actually start up no problem, so they start riding them, forgetting that the rubber in the tires and engine seals has been rotting all that time. Modern seals and tires shouldn't be falling apart in 5 years, especially if it's been getting *some* use, but you might want to take it easy at first. If the scooter wasn't on blocks, the tires might have flat spots. Check 'em for dry rot. Ask a dealer about the odds of the seals drying out, I think you're probably fine with that, though.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Dooglas wrote:Five years? Change it. What are we talking about though - the 2 cycle oil remaining in the oil injection reservoir or the gear oil in the tranny. You didn't say. I'd suggest changing both if you think that the fluids have been sitting for 5 years.
I was going to replace both.

Thanks a lot, everyone, for the input. :D
Huh? What just happened?
Scro

Post by Scro »

Congrats on your Stella!

Did it fit in the Element?
"I had to call my mom to pick me up from Rock and Roll Tour." -- Bo Hicks, Baak Gwai
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

First thing I do when I purchase a new vehicle is replace the fluids and filters. The small cost is well worth the peace of mind.
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Scro wrote:Congrats on your Stella!

Did it fit in the Element?
I will this weekend. :D
Huh? What just happened?