Washing my scooter...im an idiot

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

CO BlackCatRider

Washing my scooter...im an idiot

Post by CO BlackCatRider »

All- I just got my scooter and I decided to wash it because it had rain spots all over it and it just needed to be clean...now the only way it will start is using the kick start?? Am I an idiot or something or what?? It has been about two hours and it still won't start with the electric starter... do you guys/girls think it will be okay by morning??

what is the best way to wash the scooter?
My Black Cat Kicks Ass!!!
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Check the kill switch (brake interlock). I can't see the starter getting upset about water, but maybe the interlock is sticking?
EZPZ #65
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

I always wondered how the electrical systems of these scooters would hold up to wetness. The battery box of the Rattler is under the floorboard. I've never seen a scooter battery in such a vulnerable to wetness area. Kind of makes me a little nervous about getting caught in the rain.
"The All Is One..."
Evans Performance

Post by Evans Performance »

i am also curious is anything would get messed up riding in the rain. im not afraid to get wet. my ride isnt that far
Groovealufagus

Post by Groovealufagus »

Rides terrific in the rain, and I've not had any electric start issues on those rides.

I'd check the kill switch, too.
Evans Performance

Post by Evans Performance »

if the kill switch was off it wouldnt run even with the kick start.

might be the starter button itself.
CO BlackCatRider

Post by CO BlackCatRider »

I am pretty much just an idiot...

I went back out and made sure to hold the back brake lever down when hitting the auto start and sure enough it started... beginners error..lol
My Black Cat Kicks Ass!!!
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

CO BlackCatRider wrote:I am pretty much just an idiot...

I went back out and made sure to hold the back brake lever down when hitting the auto start and sure enough it started... beginners error..lol
:clap:
"The All Is One..."
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Groovealufagus wrote:Rides terrific in the rain, and I've not had any electric start issues on those rides.
I'm just concerned because the fuses (tucked in with the battery) are the glass type encased by a piece of unsealed plastic housing. If their connectors got soaked, there would be no protection from a short. :wtf:
"The All Is One..."
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

You'd have to sink it in water to do that. The groove along the top of the lid should be enough to keep splashes and rain outta the battery box. Since I don't plan on any stream crossings I don't worry about it.
EZPZ #65
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

nissanman wrote:You'd have to sink it in water to do that. The groove along the top of the lid should be enough to keep splashes and rain outta the battery box. Since I don't plan on any stream crossings I don't worry about it.
Just for added protection, one could even drill a few tiny holes at the base of the rim groove for drainage to guard against water coming in. Oh, I'm sorry... My obsessive compulsive disorder is kicking in again :goofy:
...Sounds like a plan. :D
"The All Is One..."
goatlover

Post by goatlover »

humm..
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

goatlover wrote:humm..
Being a fellow TR guy, I can sense that your modification wheels are turning. :idea:
"The All Is One..."
Groovealufagus

Post by Groovealufagus »

CO BlackCatRider wrote:I am pretty much just an idiot...

If it makes you feel any better, I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start to pull away from the dealer and it was the exact same thing. I was too embarrassed to ask, and it only took a minute to figure out, but you're not alone.
ostentaneous

Post by ostentaneous »

My rattler got rained on today while I was at work. I waited for it to stop before trying to go home. I let the engine warm up for a minute - started up just fine, but when I got on it, it acted like it didn't want to go the first few times I let on the gas. It finally responded on the third try and ran like normal all the way home after that.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

ostentaneous wrote:My rattler got rained on today while I was at work. I waited for it to stop before trying to go home. I let the engine warm up for a minute - started up just fine, but when I got on it, it acted like it didn't want to go the first few times I let on the gas. It finally responded on the third try and ran like normal all the way home after that.
Scooter cover :wink: .
"The All Is One..."
Frankie 2 Tone

Soaked to the bone!!!

Post by Frankie 2 Tone »

I have gotten busted in the rain twice now and had no problems besides trying to dry out my boots and gloves. I think the person who said no wading in streams was right, otherwise you should be fine!!!!!!! Happy Scooting.....
Kickin' it hard to the Rock Steady Beat!!!!!!!!