Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Christy

recovering my seat

Post by Christy »

first attempt at recovering my pamplona's seat
EPSP #76
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

Nice contrasts. Will be able to see another photo shot from the side?

Did you applique the scooter on or is it a printed on?

Nice work.
Christy

Post by Christy »

I silk screened it

I need to take more pictures, but I just put it on and havent taken it out yet.
EPSP #76
ay pablo

Post by ay pablo »

Great job! See, it wasn't so hard, was it?
Looks great!
If driving a Hummer says "my penis is small",
.......then what does riding a scooter say?

I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.....
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

that looks awesome! good work!!! :D
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

WOW. What kind of fabric did you use? Is it slipped over (removable) or did you staple it to the seat?

I'm so impressed by all the work people are doing to their Buddys! It's inspiring!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

Wow! That adds even more to the great look of the Pamplona.

Thanks for sharing the full view of the Buddy.
Christy

Post by Christy »

Thanks you guys!
ericalm wrote:WOW. What kind of fabric did you use? Is it slipped over (removable) or did you staple it to the seat?

I'm so impressed by all the work people are doing to their Buddys! It's inspiring!
it's just a cover. I used elastic on the front and back and I used ties on the sides -- it pulls together into the middle where i have it tied tight.

I'm unhappy with the fit on the cream at the bottom sides so I'll probably take it off and seam it up just a little there and then put her back on.

the cream is a heavy weight twill and the black is a poly/cotton blend with a layer of terrycloth underneath it...I used heat-n-bond lite to fuse the black and terry together.

I've considered making the entire seat out of terrycloth and I probably will so that I have another one (in case I get bored) but this will be fine for now.

Things on my "to do" list:
black grips
black floor mat (any idea where I can find one online??)
paint helmet cream and apply reflective red/dark red patches to it
EPSP #76
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

Scooterworks has the grips...might want to phone to see if they actually have in stock. You buy left and right separate.

http://www.scooterworks.com/Accessories_C291.cfm?Page=2
Christy

Post by Christy »

yeah I've got the grips ordered I just don't know where I can get the mat...scooterworks doesn't sell it (online, i haven't called) and I can't find them listed anywhere else either.

Unfortunately as great as the seat looks, I may not be able to ride with it on...turns out the black fabric is slippery! It's something I didn't consider when I used it. I just used what I had on hand.

I've got 2 other plans for seat covers, so I'll toy with that this week and see if I've any more satisfied with what I come up with. Of course I'll post pictures as I get them.

:)
EPSP #76
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

Could you use any iron pellon to adhere to the back of the black?

Thought they had some with little grips like on bottom of kids feeted pjs or on those sock slippers in a hospital.
Christy

Post by Christy »

well, the seat cover fits tight and it doesn't slip. I slip forward on the seat while riding.

Actually I just got home from a ride and it wasn't as bad as I remember it being yesterday. It may just take some breaking in, but I'll probably get some heavyweight black twill and replace that part anyway.

Then I'm planning on doing one out of a short nap terrycloth thats all black. And also one (maybe terry, maybe twill) that is black with a cream strip down the center.

I have several other really big projects on my plate the next week/2weeks so it may be July before I get those done.
EPSP #76
Christy

a new seat cover!!!

Post by Christy »

whatcha think? pretty awesome, huh!!! I'm really excited about this one. So much that i'll probably never take it off!

Made from black and cream heavy-weight terrycloth.

the old seatcover (old, heh, only rode on it twice) is for sale if anyone is interested...PM me.
EPSP #76
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

A lot of these seat covers look very cool. What do you do if it rains? I don't relish the idea of coming out of work to ride home and sitting on a wet terry cloth seat. How do you keep it dry when you're out someplace.?

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Christy

Post by Christy »

Howardr wrote:A lot of these seat covers look very cool. What do you do if it rains? I don't relish the idea of coming out of work to ride home and sitting on a wet terry cloth seat. How do you keep it dry when you're out someplace.?

Howard
good question. I have a garage where she is stored when I'm not riding. I try to never ride in the rain (as much as I can help it) b/c I'm just not comfortable with wet-riding. However, if it happens that I'm going to be parking the scoot outdoors and i think it might rain, I plan on removing the cover and storing it in the pet carrier or topcase. since it's elastic edged, it'll be easy to apply/remove.
EPSP #76
iinigma7

Post by iinigma7 »

Nice work Christy. Yet another job that makes me wish I had the skills of the sewing. :cry:
"...faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!"
Christy

Post by Christy »

iinigma7 wrote:Nice work Christy. Yet another job that makes me wish I had the skills of the sewing. :cry:
there's always Crystal who makes seat covers (which are pretty amazing!!!) or I might be able to work something out with you to make one for ya if you know what you want. :)
EPSP #76