ENGINE RATTLE ON DECELERATION...

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rattler350

ENGINE RATTLE ON DECELERATION...

Post by rattler350 »

I just got my buck ten, brand new with 0 miles and rode it for about 20 miles today. after say 15 miles, I could hear a new light metalic rattle coming from the engine a slight " clinck clinck " that I didnt hear it from the start. It started after I put around 15 miles. What is it? is it normal? is the bike just starting to break in? I understand the 2 stroke sound having a YZ250, but this worries me cause I didnt hear it when I 1st rode it. Again, I 1st noticed it around 15 miles into my ride.

Thanks for any imput...
Last edited by rattler350 on Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Check some of the bolts on your exhaust, they are known to be a little loose. Some of the noise could also be the expansion and contraction of the motor and exhaust. I can remember mine making more noises like those before it was broken in. Wait until the noises go away before making any warranty voiding modifications. Welcome to the Rattler/BlackCat/RoughHouse bunch :)
EZPZ #65
rattler350

Post by rattler350 »

ah, haa. I thought it was a loose bolt like you said. I will go an tighten all the bolts now. Thanks NISSAN for your input.
:)
rattler350

Post by rattler350 »

Well, I tighten all the bolts and went for a ride. Noise still there. It is noticeable at decelerating. It kindda sounds like a heat shield rattle from a car's muffler. Its not loud, but noticeable.

Any body?

Thanks !
pattyman5000

Post by pattyman5000 »

I've noticed it in mine, too. Just got a buck-ten on Friday. No idea what the noise is (this is my first scooter), but the dealer said I should expect stuff like this during the break-in period. The advice I got was to vary the throttle for a while, not to leave it fully open for long periods; let it warm up before taking off, and bring it in around 200 miles for them to replace the oil and tighten everything up.

Maybe this noise is why they call it the Rattler..? :P
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

I've been posting about this noise for a while now. I have about 400 miles on the Rattler. It occurs at slight deceration from around 3/4 turn. It is definately not a loose bolt of any kind (I've had this thing in many pieces trying to figure it out).
As mentioned in a previous thread, the sound does not in any way seem to affect performance. If many others are noticing it, I'm wondering if it is just a characteristic of the 2008 motor breaking in. I have been noticing the noise less; however, I could just simply becoming used to it.
If anybody still notices it after 1000 miles, I would suggest that you investigate further.
Are there any mechanics out there that can describe the sound (if there is any sound) of rings NOT seating properly?
"The All Is One..."
rattler350

Post by rattler350 »

Well Hugo and Pattyman made me feel better. Hopefully someone will answer hugo's question.

Hugo, did your 110 get better performance after a couple of hundred miles? right now my 110 is way slower than wife's Buddy 125, even on take off....

Thanks !
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

rattler350 wrote:Well Hugo and Pattyman made me feel better. Hopefully someone will answer hugo's question.

Hugo, did your 110 get better performance after a couple of hundred miles? right now my 110 is way slower than wife's Buddy 125, even on take off....

Thanks !
Mine runs smoother with every mile that I put on it. When I first got it, the handelbars were shaking furiously--now, not so bad. Rember that it is a 2-stroke--It "Rattles".
I always prefer the giggy-up of a 2-T over a 4-T. Your wife's Buddy simply has a more powerful motor, so that's why it is faster.
I've always been satisfied off of the line at intersections. Keep in mind that I'm just moving up from a 49cc, so my expectations are quite fulfilled :twisted: .
"The All Is One..."
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Once it breaks in a bit it'll get better. Also after it's broken in you may need to fiddle with the carb to get it just right. Without any equipment changes (just air/fuel adjustments) I can feel a drastic performance difference on my Rattler. There's no secret must tune rules here, all trial and error.
EZPZ #65
rattler350

Post by rattler350 »

WENT TO THE DEALER AND GUESS WHAT IT WAS?
THE STARTOR TEETH ARE NOT DISENGAGING ALL THE WAY AND HIT THE TRANNY EVERY SO OFTEN, BUT AT THE HIGH RPM'S THIS IS A CONSTANT RATTLE " PING-PING" THEY ARE ORDERING A NEW ONE UNDER WARRANTY AND WILL BE INSTALLED ON MY 1ST SERVICE. IT WONT HARM ANYTHING, BUT THE RATTLE IS ANNOYING.

THANKS GUYS FOR YOUR THOUGHTS... :lol: