Easy replacement for gearbox drain screw crushwasher...

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Hugo

Easy replacement for gearbox drain screw crushwasher...

Post by Hugo »

I just changed the gearbox oil to my Rattler. The drain screw has an aluminum crush washer that should be changed every time you release it (lots of lazy dealers, however, just usually flip it over). This washer is actually important, for absorbs the excess torque (10-13 ft lbs) required to tighten the screw without stripping the gearbox.
The washer is 8mm, and a perfect match can be be purchased at any Honda dealership for around a buck :D . Drive down the street and get yourself one.
"The All Is One..."
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Much easier than the route I went... go to honda :)
EZPZ #65
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

nissanman wrote:Much easier than the route I went... go to honda :)
Nissanman, did you ever get yours re-threaded?
"The All Is One..."
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Yup. I now have a 10mm thread instead of the stock 8mm.
EZPZ #65
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

nissanman wrote:Yup. I now have a 10mm thread instead of the stock 8mm.
How'd you do it? Did you put in a sleave or was it re-threaded?
"The All Is One..."
vespatech

Post by vespatech »

i was thinkin about using a time sert to up the thread to M10. logic says steel is stronger than aluminum right? as long as its not to srong then i have i massive hole i have to fill ..........nice
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Just re-threaded it. Kept it simple for that part :roll:
EZPZ #65
barndwellers_md

Post by barndwellers_md »

Mine kept leaking after the first change (synthetic). Tried everthing in the book...from aluminum, copper, neoprene, nylon washers with everthing inbetween....o-rings, permatex aviation sealer, atv stuff....nothing worked. Even made my washers out of very soft aluminum...wouldn't work totally. Probably drained and filled it ten times. One of the strangest problems I've seen.

Made me wonder if there is a breather outlet in the tranny case somewhere to let the heat buildup/expansion out? Even left the filler plug loose a bit...didn't help. Would only leak after the oil got hot.

My case isn't cracked as far as I can see.

Finally stripped the threads...will try the over-bore and tap it.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Your trans is over filled. Do not put more than 90cc in it! The breather hole is above the drain, makes the excess run out and off the drain plug making it seem like a plug leak. Don't ask me how I know this :oops:
EZPZ #65
barndwellers_md

Hmmm....I took old fluid - measured it in a cup via marker, dumped out, cleaned cup and poured synthetic to line in cup. Almost dead positive I put no more than what the factory had...maybe synthetic expands more?

I think you are right about the amount...I've not seen anything leak like this.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

When I drained my gearbox I turned the rear tire a little bit to make sure there was nothing pooled up in there, then I filled it. The whole reason my drainplug is tapped to a 10mm is I thought I had a plug leak too, then I finally found the stupid breather hole on the back of the transmission! Re-measured my oil and haven't had an issue since. :)
EZPZ #65
MPA

Post by MPA »

what do you guys use to measue the fluid you're putting in? I'm at 670 miles or so and should probably change it
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

barndwellers_md wrote:Mine kept leaking after the first change (synthetic). Tried everthing in the book...from aluminum, copper, neoprene, nylon washers with everthing inbetween....o-rings, permatex aviation sealer, atv stuff....nothing worked. Even made my washers out of very soft aluminum...wouldn't work totally. Probably drained and filled it ten times. One of the strangest problems I've seen.

Made me wonder if there is a breather outlet in the tranny case somewhere to let the heat buildup/expansion out? Even left the filler plug loose a bit...didn't help. Would only leak after the oil got hot.

My case isn't cracked as far as I can see.

Finally stripped the threads...will try the over-bore and tap it.
Write this down in your owner's manual... 8) "ONLY" 8) 10-13 ft lbs for the drain bolt.
"The All Is One..."
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

MPA wrote:what do you guys use to measue the fluid you're putting in? I'm at 670 miles or so and should probably change it
I use a small graduated cylinder.
"The All Is One..."
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

nissanman wrote:When I drained my gearbox I turned the rear tire a little bit to make sure there was nothing pooled up in there, then I filled it. The whole reason my drainplug is tapped to a 10mm is I thought I had a plug leak too, then I finally found the stupid breather hole on the back of the transmission! Re-measured my oil and haven't had an issue since. :)
Good news :whew: !!
"The All Is One..."
barndwellers_md

according to google:

30 CC = 1.0143 oz

So putting 3 liquid ounces in the case puts you in the money.
barndwellers_md

just to update: I didn't tap out the threads with anything...merely took a 1/4" longer bolt...did the trick along with putting less oil in than what I had...I won't tell you how many more oz. over three I had in there. really goofy mistake....thanks Nissan for the info.