Kick starting woes.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

golfingirl

Kick starting woes.

Post by golfingirl »

Am I weak? I have a heck of a time kick starting the Buddy. I have no problem kick starting my DH's Vino 50cc.

Do other riders have this problem? Any tips on technique?
Laura
avidgirl

Post by avidgirl »

I recently had a battery problem with my Buddy 125 and the only way I could ride for about three weeks was to use the kick start.

First of all, my kick start seemed to turn over the engine about 20% of the time. My dealer said it had something to do with the engine compression. I found that if I put my foot on the kickstart, pressing down lightly then kicked the rest of the way down, I was more likely to get the engine started. Weird, but it worked. I also placed the scooter on the center stand for stability.

Luckily, I got a new battery so my problem was solved. I was a kick-starting manic there for a while.
Leigh

Creme Buddy 125
rajron

Post by rajron »

Wow weird I forgot we had a kick starter – never used it - wonder how it works?
GatsbyGirl

Post by GatsbyGirl »

avidgirl wrote:I found that if I put my foot on the kickstart, pressing down lightly then kicked the rest of the way down, I was more likely to get the engine started.
Yep, when my dealer showed us how to use it, they stressed that you need to do this. It's like a slight pump before you really kick it.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I have been able to hit it on the first kick most times I've tried. The method I use (edited from another thread):

Slowly lower the kickstart to the point where you feel resistance, then bring the kickstart back up and kick it hard. Don't throttle too much; you could flood the engine. Also, the kickstart is kind of small so be careful your foot doesn't slip off. You could easily tip the Buddy over.
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

Thanks. I'll try those tips and practice. Do you need to throttle it a bit? I definitely do that for my DH's Vino, but I need to throttle it when we use the electric start!
Laura
avidgirl

Post by avidgirl »

I didn't have to use the throttle to get my Buddy kickstarted. Don't know if this is the norm though.
Leigh

Creme Buddy 125
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

golfingirl wrote:Thanks. I'll try those tips and practice. Do you need to throttle it a bit? I definitely do that for my DH's Vino, but I need to throttle it when we use the electric start!
Probably don't need to throttle the Buddy. I just added that because it seems I instinctively want to do that when I kickstart!
josephwtyler

Post by josephwtyler »

If you check the manual, it suggests to press the kick starter down slightly, then kick it hard. So, it should be partially depressed before you try to start it at all.
Keys

Post by Keys »

I may have a little input to help with here...having owned more kick-only motorcycles than electric start...from Honda 100's to Harley XLCH's to a Yamaha SR500 and a BSA 441 Victor....here is what has always worked for me.

First; gently push down on the kick-lever until you hit resistance.

Second; bring your foot (and consequently the kick-lever) back up to the top. The engine will stay in the same place, which is the compression stroke.

Third; kick fully downward with a firm and quick motion.

This will have allowed you to kick from the optimum engine position to enable you to kick through a full cycle rather than a partial cycle in which you may or may not catch a firing sequence.

Hope it helps.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I've got it now. I'm gonna practice tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes. :D
Laura
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Now I'm going to have to give the kick start a try in the morning, just because of all this discussion. I suppose it's a useful skill to have, and to know how to do successfully before you have no choice in the matter.
Kevin
AYPWIP?