New to scooters... and slight of build (;_;)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lotte

New to scooters... and slight of build (;_;)

Post by lotte »

Hi all! :D

I'm considering the Buddy as my very first scooter, but here's the thing; I stand 5'1" tall, and I am very slight of build. I've noticed that the height issue was touched upon in the topic called "First bike?" but I wonder if the poster was this petite.

I've visited a dealer yesterday and sat on a Buddy for the first time, and I felt comfortable with the seat height. Yet when I put both my feet down on either side, I was on my toes and was barely seated. I wasn't stretching to touch the ground, but I was still technically on my toes.

Here are my concerns: is that a factor that should hinder me from getting a Buddy? And also, do I have to have both my feet touching the ground when I come to a stop (I felt more comfortable with propping up on one foot)? And finally, the dealer mentioned that a racing seat was available for a Stella, but are there seat options to lower the seat height for the Buddy as well?

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated for this scooter novice! Thanks in advance!:wink:

(As an added note, as far as handling the scooter went, I felt perfectly comfortable. It felt light and manageable, and I had no problem propping the scooter up on its stands.)
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

Well hello again :)

Glad to hear you tried the Buddy and liked it. Hey, you have an inch on me in height, and I manage to ride the Buddy very well :lol: I have a question... what kind of shoes were you wearing? If you wear a riding shoe or boot, then you'll have a heel and sole which will give you 1/2" or more height-wise. Believe it or not, this makes a big difference. Try it! With my boots I'm not perfectly flat-footed, but I have enough of the ball of my foot down to manage the bike with no problem.

Hope this helps!

~ Shellee
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

There is one thing you need to watch out for. I think it was on Modern Vespa that we read about this. A vertically challenged rider on a Vespa (taller by far than the Buddy) discovered that steep hills could be a problem if he happened to stop along the incline so that the hill sloped up away from on one side and down away from him on the other side. Of course, he tipped over to the downhill side and fell down. If you ever get in a situation like that (and you can't just ride away), pls throw dignity to the wind and slide forward off the seat so that you can stand up and balance the scooter with the handlebars, just like you did on a bicycle as a kid. Just for fun, practice this maneuver on a nice flat surface a coiuple times so it won't be a big panic should the occasion ever arise. :wink:
Last edited by jrsjr on Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jess

Post by jess »

jrsjr wrote:There is one thing you need to watch out for. I think it was on Modern Vespa that we read about this. A vertically challenged rider on a Vespa (taller by far than the Buddy) discovered that steep hills could be a problem if he happened to stop anlong the incline so that the hill sloped up away from on one side and down away from him on the other side. Of course, he tipped over to the downhill side and fell down.
I've nearly dumped my GT twice in exactly this situation, and it was only through herculean determination not to drop it that I managed to keep it upright. The problem can affect even average-height people.

That said, the GT weighs in at 100 pounds more than the Buddy.

And to answer the OP's question, you don't have to have both feet flat on the ground in order to ride. It helps, but it's not strictly mandatory. I've seen a 5'1" rider manage a Vespa LX150, but she was really at the outside edge of being able to handle it. Like Shellee said, boots with a heel make a big difference.
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

My wife did her first novice practice ride today on her Buddy.
She is 5'1" and about 28" inseam.
She was a bit leary at first but after about 10 minutes was just fine with it.
We also tried a Vespa, but they are about 2" taller.

You will find that in most cases you don't need 2 feet planted.
You will develope balance and sometimes never touch down, but if you need to often times you'll just slide to one side and plant one foot fully while the other dangles in air.

I have had so many motorcycles with the seat height 2" longer than my inseam and they are just fine sliding to the side and using one foot.

The only tricky part is learning to not stop over a gully where the wheels are On higher ground than the gully, therefore making the reach ro the ground farther. Usually if you know the situation is there, you can learn to compensate, and again all is well.

I wouldn't fret it. There aren't many scooters shorter. There are a few motorcycles, but they are heavier and that's a while other issue to contend with.

You can always have an upholstery shop alter your Buddy seat.
Last edited by Beamie on Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lotte

Post by lotte »

Thank you very much, Shellee, jrsjr, jess and Beamie!! :D

Whew! You guys definitely helped put my mind at ease and gave me more confidence in getting a scooter. For a while I was afraid that I am too short for getting any kind of scooter! (Randy Newman's "Short Poeple" song lyrics come to mind....) And it's so good to know that I'm not going to be the only short scooter rider out there.

Thanks again for the boosted confidence and some EXCELLENT advice and warnings! Who knows, maybe you'll soon see me zipping around in my very own Buddy! :wink:

And by the way, I was thinking of a way to remedy the shortness situation during lunch and instantly had a very disturbing vision of me in go-go boots. But I think I'll stick to Shellee's suggestion of riding boots :lol:
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

lotte wrote:But I think I'll stick to Shellee's suggestion of riding boots :lol:
Work boots, hiking boots.... anything with thicker soles.
Better measure; not all riding boots are thick in the bottom.
lotte

Post by lotte »

Thanks for the suggestion! I have a pair of sturdy hiking boots with thick soles, and I think that would serve me well. I'll ask about altering the Buddy seat as well.
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

You might try this fellow for alterations:
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery
http://www.geocities.com/rgmaund/RichsC ... 9633040109
lotte

Post by lotte »

Thanks ofr the link!! I've checked his site out, and he seems to be the right guy to alter my seat.

Again, much thanks to you all!