Seat chopping

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

okiejack

Seat chopping

Post by okiejack »

My wife is 5' 0" and has a pink Buddy 125. Even though the seat height is one of the lower in the scooter range, she still must tip toe to reach the ground with both feet.

How many inches can be removed from the seat?

Put another way, how many inches of foam are in the seat?
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

What kind of footwear does your wife use when she rides? If she can wear a boot with a heel and a thick sole, that might just give her enough "lift" to comfortably balance the bike. She should be able to put the balls of her feet down and hold the bike securely. That would save you the cost of having the seat cut down.

~ Shellee
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

Whereabouts in Okla. are you Okiejack?

Reason I ask is because I too have a Pink Buddy and there's also another one in Midwest City. I'm just at 5'3 and don't have too many problems..unless I'm up hill. :)
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

Try boots first.

If that doesn't do it, try contacting this fellow:
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery
http://www.geocities.com/rgmaund/RichsC ... 9633040109

Sometimes slimming the sides of the seat does the trick, getting the legs closer together.

I bet with a little time the seat will settle lower a bit.
okiejack

Post by okiejack »

Hello dahuffy,

We live in NW Oklahoma City. My wife's Buddy is also pink .... as is her helmet.

3 inches makes a world of difference.
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I cut down my own Vespa ET seat using some instructions I found online, and it has worked out ok. I bought a gel pad from Pirate Upholstery (http://www.pirateupholstery.com) and also put that in for more comfort since I cut out so much foam. One thing I learned the hard way is that gel holds temperature (even with a cover!), so if you add gel in, plan to put it under some foam so you don't get a burned bum.

Jay from Pirate also suggested the use of an electric kitchen knife, and I can attest that it works a LOT better than a hack saw on foam!