JUST SHUT UP AND LET ME PUMP MY GAS

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Legend

Post by Legend »

illnoise wrote:
amanda_c wrote:I like to park next to the priuses when I go to Whole Foods, and give the drivers dirty looks ;)
You're only saving 4.1¢ a mile over a Prius, which is nice, but not much to gloat about for a 46mpg difference. Of course your Buddy cost a bit less, gloat about that.

http://2strokebuzz.com/index.php?p=4158
Dude, at 4.1 cents...thats $6150.00 a year in fuel savings over a PRIUS. nothing to sneeze at. (this is assuming a national average of 15000 miles a year) I won't even go into how much cheaper it is for insurance and maintainence. I see your point....just have a different view on it.
"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
SarahScoot

Post by SarahScoot »

Dude, at 4.1 cents...thats $6150.00 a year in fuel savings over a PRIUS. nothing to sneeze at. (this is assuming a national average of 15000 miles a year) I won't even go into how much cheaper it is for insurance and maintainence. I see your point....just have a different view on it.
Mmmm... close, but no cigar. A 4.1 cent per gallon fuel savings is $.041, correct? If you calculate .041 * 15,000, you get $615.00. To save $6150, there'd have to be a $.41 fuel savings. I'd love for you to be right, but it's just not so
:(
Ken82

Post by Ken82 »

man you guys are harboring some elitist attitudes and may not even know it...

so what someone bought an suv? seriously..it's better that person trying to get some information than smashing into you or flicking you off...

you have to expect people to crack jokes..it's insecurity with most likely a wealth of other things...but so what? everyone acts like an angel until they're the victim...

just saying..i don't mind talking to every single person who ever wants to ask a few questions...i whole-heartedly believe that it's making a difference...

soon people won't really have a choice but to look for alternative modes of transportation...and you're already downing them because they're not "there" yet...kind of pathetic...
sotied

Post by sotied »

Everyone who hates Ken raise your hands. Who's with me?

OK, nobody?

Ken does have a point, but it's just like being a celebrity and being chased by the paprazzi. I should know.

You get a little worn out by the constant barrage of people who want your attention.

You can only sign so many bikinis or kiss so many babies or accept so much in the way of monetary gifts before it makes you snap.

So be careful out there...the streets are packed with people who have questions. Only we have the answers.
Ken82

Post by Ken82 »

haha look..all im saying is everyone is curious about something and everyone has been snubbed by someone or felt that feeling of someone being an asshole to them...

i'm covered in tattoos..neck to toe...i get thousands of questions..and i answer them all with the same respect...

at least they have the balls to ask.
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

Ok ken82, you latte sipping, volvo driving, hollywood elitist! I had enough of your kind, lol

I would take most the replies in this thread with a large grain of salt. Although, I do actually say "i win" sometimes. But I like to think of it more as trying to bring an alternative into their consciousness.
PinkPamela

Post by PinkPamela »

I went through the Bank drive-thru on my Pink Buddy -- A big dude in an Expedition was checking out my scooter but not saying anything. So, I had a question for him... what kind of gas mileage do you get on that Expedition?? He just laughed and said that was exactly the same thing he wanted to ask me!
Left the bank and went to the gas station. Four "Harley-Dudes" immediately came over and were asking me all about my scooter. They were so nice and said I was the first Pink Harley Babe they had ever seen. I corrected them and said I was a Pink Buddy Babe. Only been scoot'n for a month but have had nothing but positive feedback.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

schlagle wrote:Ok ken82, you latte sipping, volvo driving, hollywood elitist! I had enough of your kind, lol
Um, that would be me. Almost literally. I drink lattes. Drive a Volvo when not scootering. Live in NORTH Hollywood, and occasionally work in Hollywood. So, yeah. :D
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
OKBubbles

Post by OKBubbles »

I was heading for the Thursday Night Tulsa Scooter Ride this evening - and the temp was 90+ at 5:30. Sitting in the left turn lane when an SUV pulled up next to me on the right.

Driver rolled down his window and smirked, "I have air conditioning."

I smiled sweetly and said, "I get 100 miles per gallon."

Replied he, slowly rolling his window back up, "You win."

Light changed, and I made my turn.

His choice, my choice.
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

OKBubbles wrote:I was heading for the Thursday Night Tulsa Scooter Ride this evening - and the temp was 90+ at 5:30. Sitting in the left turn lane when an SUV pulled up next to me on the right.

His choice, my choice.
Great story! Thanks for sharing, and thanks for the smile. :) We are hoping Tulsa will be our long-term home so get all the motorists use to scooting before we get there, please. :wink:
~Celebrate~
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

OKBubbles wrote:I was heading for the Thursday Night Tulsa Scooter Ride this evening - and the temp was 90+ at 5:30. Sitting in the left turn lane when an SUV pulled up next to me on the right.

His choice, my choice.
AWESOME!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

ericalm wrote: Um, that would be me. Almost literally. I drink lattes. Drive a Volvo when not scootering. Live in NORTH Hollywood, and occasionally work in Hollywood. So, yeah. :D
LOL, so YOU"RE the one huh? I never thought I'd meet someone who met all of those stereotypes. That's too funny. :lol:
buddyboop

Post by buddyboop »

I love answering all the questions! Any time, any day, in a hurry or not in a hurry. My husband and I just met a couple that we talked to 8 months ago at a Starbucks that had asked us questions and they said we were so nice and informative that they went that day and bought 2 GTV's. They saw us scooting and they caught up to us and thanked us for the info and how much fun they have been having. I was a bit embarrassed I didn't remember them. You never know when you will touch someone and make a difference.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

schlagle wrote:
ericalm wrote: Um, that would be me. Almost literally. I drink lattes. Drive a Volvo when not scootering. Live in NORTH Hollywood, and occasionally work in Hollywood. So, yeah. :D
LOL, so YOU"RE the one huh? I never thought I'd meet someone who met all of those stereotypes. That's too funny. :lol:
I know—I keep thinking I should be getting some kind of residuals every time it comes up.

BTW, there really aren't that many Volvos in Hollywood these days. The Priuses and Mini Coopers have taken over. And I saw 5 Smart cars while riding around today. 5! I have only seen 2 other Volvo C30s. Huh.
anndelise

Post by anndelise »

When I was looking into an alternative form of transportation,
and getting really frustrated at how many really kewl things aren't allowed on the roads..
..that, imo, would do the usa a lot of good to have more of (ie the twike, quadracycles, etc)
we came to a stop sign and I looked over and saw a JogR pulling up beside us. I quickly rolled down my window and asked him some questions about licensing, insurance, safety, etc. He kindly answered my questions, and even offered a bit more info than I had asked (stuff I didn't know to ask).

The very next day I was at the local Vespa/Buddy dealer checking to see what it would feel like to be sitting on one of them and if it would be something realistic for me.
(It was a week before we had done enough research to settle on the Genuine Buddy as my first scooter to get. And possibly upgrade to an MP3 a few years down the road.)

I'm glad that JogR rider was so willing to answer my questions.
The scootering section of my blog: http://anndelise.wordpress.com/category/scootering/
OKBubbles

Post by OKBubbles »

runtotorun121 wrote:
Great story! Thanks for sharing, and thanks for the smile. :) We are hoping Tulsa will be our long-term home so get all the motorists use to scooting before we get there, please. :wink:
We'll do our best!

And, don't forget -- you have a standing appointment to join us for the Thursday Night Rides. See you soon! :D
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

OKBubbles wrote: We'll do our best!

And, don't forget -- you have a standing appointment to join us for the Thursday Night Rides. See you soon! :D
oooooh, Fun! :D Now I have to really work on getting my husband to move his butt on getting down there!
~Celebrate~
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

oooooh, Fun! Now I have to really work on getting my husband to move his butt on getting down there!
Come down! It's actually a very scooter-friendly town. I was quite surprised when I got mine last year as I was worried about the cagers. But everyone is pretty cool (there are always a couple of exceptions, of course). :D
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

Kaos wrote:I don't really mind the "what did you pay" questions. At least in my experience, that means they are seriously concidering getting their own scooter. I think its just part of being a scooter ambasador :)
I would sometimes answer this question, sometimes find a slick way out. Just a few days ago I was viewing a scooter I wanted to buy in the seller's garage. A guy pulled up in an SUV, asked the seller, "Hey, you wanna sell that thing?" He didn't really seem interested in buying it, more in what it was worth (if you know what I mean), and the seller (smartly) said, "Nah, we're just talking." I was grateful he didn't make me compete with some yahoo driving up, but as I thought about it more, I think he was as much protecting himself. Here's how the scam would go:

"Hey you selling that thing?"
"Yeah."
"How much is it?"
"$2300."
"Damn, no way man. Nice scooter though, you should watch out for it."

Next morning, the scooter will have vanished from the garage, and not because anyone bought it.
scoots4me

Post by scoots4me »

the other day i was at a red light and some kids crossed the street...they looked me up and down a few times, whispered, and then said "hey can we buy your scooter?". so i said no, sorry, and then they asked where i lived. WHERE DO I LIVE? do i have moron written on my helmet? sheesh...light turned green and i scooted away. how creepy. on the bright side, tonight i was stopped at a light and a bunch of little girls kept screaming "scooter!!!" until i looked their way. i had to smile and wave (a lot) before they stopped yelling. they were adorable.

moral of the story: sometimes chat is good, sometimes it is not. i do agree with sotied though - you sorta have to expect that people are going to want to chat with you.
*** scootie scoot scoot ***
paige

Post by paige »

Two men followed me in to a restaurant parking lot to ask me about my scooter. What kind, where did I get it, etc. Then they asked me for money because they were "homeless". I hate that cr*p.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

http://www.scepterconsumer.com/flon_go/maxflo/

I found this (Pump + 6 gal gas jug) at my local Lowes for $30 which is less than half the cost of it anywhere else that I've found. That's a little over a month's worth capacity with commuting and pleasure riding. No batteries, works off of siphoning. Only problem area is that for correct function, can needs to be higher than the tank. Good for people with garages/sheds, bad for anyone who doesn't. It comes with a regular spout as well (which is much more convenient for going to the pump)

If people asking you questions bothers you, or it just gets old (or just like having the option to fill up at pre-ride inspection - like me) then consider this as a viable option. Having a lawn mower, it's something that comes in handy on multiple levels. And, it was half the cost of a tank for my Cherokee. Now, if only there was something that made mowing the lawn as great as scooting...

I don't need change for my $.02 :)
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
bunny

Post by bunny »

My FIRST fill - up!

All of a grand total of $4.20!!!!!

WOOT!

Price was already GREAT for this time of the week and year - $3.85/gallon AND have a WallyWorld gift card, so it dropped me down to $3.82/gallon for my 1.09 gallons of fuel...

Need I repeat myself? :D

Life is GOOD!
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

anndelise

Post by anndelise »

I actually haven't filled up at a gas station yet.
I bought a plastic gas can for keeping in the shed and have been using that.
Though, tomorrow, I'm going to have to go fill that up finally. So it'll be a while before I am heard complaining about people asking me questions at the gas pump, heh. :wink:
The scootering section of my blog: http://anndelise.wordpress.com/category/scootering/
dmwarren

Post by dmwarren »

I ride a Rattler and I get asked a lot of questions, and get a few comments. A few know it alls, but for the most part my answers are as follows:

1) I've had it for about 3 months.
2) Not sure of the gas mileage.
3) I ride because I like to, not because the price of gas.
4) I always wear a helmet.
5) Thank you, I will be careful.

The questions are pretty much the same and I really don't mind. I don't think I am better because I ride a scoot( I still have my car), I just like riding. :D
scooterinvasion

Post by scooterinvasion »

Why miss an opportunity to let them know what a smart guy you are for choosing to ride a scoot??
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

$#@& it happened again. This time not pumping gas. I was turn left near SD State Uni. Some guy in beatup POC Toyota Tacoma starts throwing questions at me out his window. :goofy:
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
bunny

Post by bunny »

pcbikedude wrote:$#@& it happened again. This time not pumping gas. I was turn left near SD State Uni. Some guy in beatup POC Toyota Tacoma starts throwing questions at me out his window. :goofy:
I think I will make a big sign with a handle on it so when people start talking to me while they're moving,I will just hold it up in their face...
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

scooterlove

Post by scooterlove »

I got stopped on my street the other day just before I turned into my driveway, the car behind me pulls along side and there are these 2 grungy looking guys and they say "hey, we just wanted to know where you got that from" I told them, at Scooter Superstore in Norcross. I had this look of horror on my face because it was a weird thing because they had been honking their horn at me while they were behind me. Like I am psychic and know I am suppose to pull over for them. The street is residential so I was annoyed they were honking in the first place. I watched them drive down and disappear before I pulled into my house. I didn't want my Buddy stolen. They made me a bit paranoid.
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

I get interviewed while pumping gas in both of my vehicles - the scooter and the MINI. On the scooter it's always "what kind of mileage do you get?" but in the MINI it's always "How do you like your MINI." I always answer "Fantastic!" and "I LOVE it" ;-)
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
hackett

Post by hackett »

I've only had one person ask me questions while I was pumping gas, but I also have yet to receive any heckling. Maybe it's the FF helmet.

Then again, given the fact that gassing up takes all of 90 seconds, maybe I haven't had enough time for anybody to ask questions.
"The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body." --HST
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

bunny wrote: I think I will make a big sign with a handle on it so when people start talking to me while they're moving,I will just hold it up in their face...
A friend told me this story about going through the old roundabout heading out to the Cape. As she approached the roundabout, the woman driving the car that was already in it held up a sign that read "Cars in roundabout have right-of-way". Now those of us from roundabout states know this, but tourists to the Cape are clueless. I think this woman had just about lost her mind and this was her cure.
satyr2k2

Post by satyr2k2 »

This topic has been beat to death, but being a newbie scooter owner, I thought I'd throw in my .02...

I love these questions. Although I am still a bit jarred by the 'Hey, how much is that thing?" question... I do field it because I know most are interested in getting one themselves.

I look at it like this- I started looking at scooters to save money, gas is getting insane, right? One of the places I looked had a Buddy Italia on display- I feel in love. It had, at that moment, transcended utility and gone in to FULL BLOWN VANITY. And that's ok...

A lot of people ask me about my Italia because I think, like humans, they are the same as me. They want to 1) save money 2) look good doing it. The Buddy (more specifically, the Int'l series) really does this. People always comment "Hey, that thing is really cool/cute... How much does it cost?"

I'm ok saying Thank you, and then giving them the run down- I just wish my dealer would give me some cards and give me a discount! ;P

Ok- off the soapbox.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

bunny wrote: You know those suitcase handcuff things you see in the movies? We should adapt on for the scooter and market them if they work...

Jack my bike, jack me, too...
You mean this?

http://www.masterlocks.com/item.asp?CID=1316
hackett

Post by hackett »

satyr2k2 wrote:I'm ok saying Thank you, and then giving them the run down- I just wish my dealer would give me some cards and give me a discount! ;P
I asked my dealer for a stack of cards, and he told me to write my name and phone number on the back of 'em. If somebody brings one in and buys, I get store credit. 8)
"The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body." --HST
satyr2k2

Post by satyr2k2 »

hackett wrote:
satyr2k2 wrote:I'm ok saying Thank you, and then giving them the run down- I just wish my dealer would give me some cards and give me a discount! ;P
I asked my dealer for a stack of cards, and he told me to write my name and phone number on the back of 'em. If somebody brings one in and buys, I get store credit. 8)

Oooh! I'm due in for my first tune-up soon. I will be sure to bring this up. Thanks!
ishi

Post by ishi »

I don't feel like choosing this mode of transportation automatically drafts me as an ambassador to mankind. I love my scoot, but let's be realistic: it's just a ride.

If people ask me about my ride, unless they're also on a scoot, or unless it's a nice little old lady, my reply is stone cold: "Not interested". I then turn away, letting the body language do its work. If they want to get offended, it's on them. If it turns them off scooters forever, I could care less. They can google for scooters just like I did.

Then again, I tend to be a cantankerous old coot (at 32 yrs old). You should hear how I deal with phone solicitors.
Martha

Post by Martha »

Comments/questions about our scoots are one thing but this week I went in to get the motorcycle certification for my drivers license. You'd think I was the only 58 year old woman that ever got one. I had to answer questions for at least 5 of the examiners (personal questions, not test questions) and then had to wait while they all came out in the parking lot to see my scoot (and me drive it) before I could leave. I can't wait till scooters are a way of life -- not a freak show!
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Whoa, I'm like a month late on this one but the 4.1 cents PER MILE post caught my eye. He didn't say 4.1 cents per gallon. Either way it's $615.00. Just my random .02 :wink:
EZPZ #65
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

ishi wrote: If people ask me about my ride, unless they're also on a scoot,
Curious about what makes you pause for the others on a scoot?
~Celebrate~
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

i consider myself an ambassador to the magical land of scooters :)

so yea, i happily and eagerly share information about scooters with anyone who asks.
taile84

Post by taile84 »

scooterlove wrote:I got stopped on my street the other day just before I turned into my driveway, the car behind me pulls along side and there are these 2 grungy looking guys and they say "hey, we just wanted to know where you got that from" I told them, at Scooter Superstore in Norcross. I had this look of horror on my face because it was a weird thing because they had been honking their horn at me while they were behind me. Like I am psychic and know I am suppose to pull over for them. The street is residential so I was annoyed they were honking in the first place. I watched them drive down and disappear before I pulled into my house. I didn't want my Buddy stolen. They made me a bit paranoid.
I just put a down payment on a buddy at that location also. I live in Lawrenceville, are you really in Atlanta? or surrounding area?

Vroom Vroom, here I come! riding it like I stole it.
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

I tell 'em gets 19 mpg and only goes 30 mph. Then they leave me alone.
coffeekittie

Post by coffeekittie »

bunny wrote:I found a possible solution for the fear of bikejacking...

OT, BTW: someone posted a link to The Daisy People, the comapny that makes the VW daisy decals. I'm going to plaster my scooter with them ASAP.

It would take a very ballsy person to jack a scooter like that.

Oh please link it again! My very first car was a 73 VW Bug! I miss her so much :( However, in the interest of full disclosure, she wore a Ladybug, not a daisy. Still, close enough, coolness in a sticker! I love being a girl :D

Your posts are making me laugh out loud and I think my roomies are starting to wonder what I'm up to...
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer

See me and my cool cats at www.justcatshotel.com
www.olygeek.com