Rear Shock for 125?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

PasadenaSue

Rear Shock for 125?

Post by PasadenaSue »

I know that a couple of people have changed out their rear shock on their 125. Scooterworks has THREE rear shocks for the Buddy 125 and I am interested in any comments, reviews, etc. of the shocks. For $60 I would certainly consider the adjustable shock if it actually helped with bumps.

Anyone familiar with these products?

Thanks -

PasadenaSue
sotied

Post by sotied »

There's a thread going on now that talks about the new Scooterworks flyer and all the stuff in it.

As far as I've found out, the $60 shock is very similar to the stock shock, so it's not really an upgrade.

You might actually be able to adjust the one that came with the scoot. I'll check with my dealer when I visit tomorrow.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

I don't think the Buddy's OEM shock is adjustable. That's one of the things that separate the Vespa LX from the Buddy.

I took a look at the shocks in the Scooterworks flyer and wondered the same thing. YSS shocks are fine quality and, if they are adjustable for preload, compression and rebound, they would make for a significant upgrade. Of course, you'd need to understand how to adjust them for static sag first and then experiment with compression/rebound. Without adjustable forks, I'm not sure how much benefit you'd achieve but it could certainly help if you ride two up a lot.

The shocks seem to be bargain priced too. Under $300 for a remote reservoir shock is pretty amazing.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

The one for 100 dollars is probably good enough for everyday riding with some improvement, then the one for 230 dollars is probably like riding on air because of the nitrogen canister on the back. The stock one doesnt actually have a canister, but not sure why they use the same picture as the 230 dollar one.
vaderscoot

Post by vaderscoot »

or if youre big like me?
gt1000 wrote: I'm not sure how much benefit you'd achieve but it could certainly help if you ride two up a lot.
bicyclerider

Post by bicyclerider »

I like this idea of adjustability.
basically, this is a remote storage/brain for the shock itself.
it is sensitive to bumps and can be adjusted to open when needed and absorb bumps and cushion the blow as you ride the bike.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id= ... rear_brain

pretty cool - if they had something like this for scooters.

now, If I could just afford that swanky 299.00 shock for my Blur :)
I think the shock and the seat would be my only two complaints about the blur.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

vaderscoot wrote:or if youre big like me?
gt1000 wrote: I'm not sure how much benefit you'd achieve but it could certainly help if you ride two up a lot.
Theoretically, yes. But a lot depends on the springs and springs are designed to work within a specific load range. So, if you're significantly outside that range (either too little or too big), no amount of adjustment will cure the actual problem. If you're within the range, you can dial in the suspension settings you want and possibly tune out issues like brake dive, front end wobble, etc.

Finding out what that range is before actually installing and testing the shock could be difficult.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800