Emissions control in our scooters

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

IceHouse

Emissions control in our scooters

Post by IceHouse »

I'm interested in finding out how our scooters control their emissions to meet EPA standards. The Yamaha website says that the Zuma does it with both its carb setting (I'm assuming they just set it a little on the lean side, can't imagine there is any computer control or anything) and with a catalytic convertor. Anyone know if Rattlers/Roughhouses have catalytic convertors, or is it all in the carb setting, or something else?

Lots of googling failed to bring up any decipherable info, hoping someone here knows a bit more.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

I believe that the rattler also uses a cataletic converer. There is a slim pipe that runs off of the exhaust which is directed straight back into the engine--I think the variator housing.
It's the same exact setup that my Typhoon has, which is supposedly converted to satisfy the EPA :mrgreen: .
"The All Is One..."
vespatech

Post by vespatech »

its actually a one way valve that takes air from the belthousing into the exhaust to help burn off any extra fuel in the expansion chamber
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

vespatech wrote:its actually a one way valve that takes air from the belthousing into the exhaust to help burn off any extra fuel in the expansion chamber
Ahh... makes sense.
"The All Is One..."
IceHouse

Post by IceHouse »

Huh...that's interesting.

Hugo, no more Ouroboros? (I'm guessing that's what your last user pic was) From the look of that cat, I would guess the photographer didn't take any pictures for awhile after that one!
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

IceHouse wrote:Huh...that's interesting.

Hugo, no more Ouroboros? (I'm guessing that's what your last user pic was) From the look of that cat, I would guess the photographer didn't take any pictures for awhile after that one!
That's my cat (Hector). Believe it or not, he is just chillin' in that picture. He likes to sleep on his back with his mouth opened. I find the picture hilarious, because he looks like "Satan's kitty" :twisted: .
"The All Is One..."
Evans Performance

Post by Evans Performance »

vespatech wrote:its actually a one way valve that takes air from the belthousing into the exhaust to help burn off any extra fuel in the expansion chamber
i have heard of people talking about an egr system. is this what they are talking about?

i have heard of getting a couple MPH's of top speed by blocking that off
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Yup, exhaust gas recirculation system... :x
EZPZ #65
vespatech

Post by vespatech »

its not egr on the rattler 110 i traced it back to the belt housing it just takes clean air out of the transmission and puts it into the exhaust. open or blocked makes no difference although blocking an actual egr will slightly help performance thats not the case here
Evans Performance

Post by Evans Performance »

thats what it looked like to me. i finally took a good look in that area today. if thats not egr, then is there any sort of egr that can be eliminated on the rattler?
vespatech

Post by vespatech »

not that i know of havent found any more of those pesky epa/factory mods
barndwellers_md

Post by barndwellers_md »

I've opened up a couple of mufflers on 2007 scooters (Rattler included) and they contain honeycomb type material inside that gets cherry red to further burn exhaust gases during normal engine operation. My guess is that these mufflers are a combo muffler/catalytic converter.

Aftermarket performance mufflers do not contain the honeycomb part.
vespatech

Post by vespatech »

all imported 2 strokes are catalyzed these days unless its an off road use vehicle but some of those are too