I hate ridding in the cold, but I like riding,

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rajron

I hate ridding in the cold, but I like riding,

Post by rajron »

so I do ride in the cold and riding in the cold seems to have a benefit, though I’m not sure about the real cold (against my religion to ride below 33°F) but between 35° to 45° the motor seems so much more responsive its a more invigorating to ride. Anybody else notice?
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I haven't noticed a performance difference, but I rode to work in 32°F this morning, and I must say I noticed it's way better than taking the bus. :D
Kevin
AYPWIP?
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Riding in cool to cold weather has its benefits. For one, you can completely gear up and not sweat to death. I've only ridden my newish 125 in cold weather a couple of times but it definitely seems really peppy when it's cold. I've had one morning ride in the 20's and today it was in the low 30's. My old 2 stroke 50 definitely ran better in cold weather.

That said, if my commute was much more than its current 10-15 minutes, I'd worry a little about really cold weather (below, say, 40 degrees). If you're riding any length of time and especially if you're riding at fairly high speeds, the cold can dull your senses pretty quickly.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

I asked at the shop if one should run the Buddy in the cold and the techy said it'd probably run even better. I did run 60mi last wk in mid 30 degree "heat" and it was responsive.
My limbs weren't too responsive for a while but the Buddy was fine.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

The ride home today felt colder than this morning. Maybe wind direction behind me this morning and in my face on the way home? Also some snow flurries on the way home.

It's about a 20 minute ride with lights downtown, then a couple miles @ 40mph then more lights near home. Stop and go, then go-go-go, then stop and go again.

I'm going to need warmer gloves I think.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

The winter Olympia gloves they sell at Metro are really nice, Kevin.

I just picked up a pair today ($53 or thereabouts). They're much more comfortable than my snowboarding gloves for riding, but very similar (actually, they're a little cheaper than my snowboarding gloves were, IIRC).

Also, I don't know where you come from or when or where you go, but I ride from Oakley to OTR and back again, usually at around 8:30 am and 6:30 pm... If you wanna try and meet up sometime to click a few miles over on the odo and maybe snag a tasty beverage at the Hoffbrau or whatnot, just let me know. :D
Huh? What just happened?
ScooterN2

Post by ScooterN2 »

I have a 40 mile commute and agree, the colder weather is not all that great for scootering. I would not be suprised if performance is improved since the density of air is higher at colder temps, hence more oxygen into the engine and bigger bang. Higher air density also increases aerodynamic drag, but at the speeds a Buddy would be going, is probably not too great of an effect.

For keeping warm, I am wearing a full face helmet, armored windproof/waterproof Tour Master jacket (that works suprisingly well), and wind pants over my regular pants. As the temps get colder, I plan to bring out the ski gear and add neck gaiter, ski gloves (insulated motorcycle gloves may be better but I don't have any), and insulated ski pants to wear over my regular pants. So far, my fingers seem to be the most vulnerable to getting coldest first. I figure if I can ski all day in 0 degree weather, i should be able to find a solution for the scooter.

My biggest worry in the cold weather is black ice.
rajron

Post by rajron »

My hands get cold but its my lap and feet that seem to get the brunt of the cold – seems like I cant even walk after ridding in cold, oh and those precious parts are also being challenged by the cold. I tell the guys that I work with that I’m getting a scooter skirt lol lol but the reality of it I would never ever be seen wearing something like that – there has got to be something that is more MANly but not over cumbersome or motorcyclistesh.
At least the scoot is doing better in the cold.
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

AxeYrCat wrote:The winter Olympia gloves they sell at Metro are really nice, Kevin.

I just picked up a pair today ($53 or thereabouts). They're much more comfortable than my snowboarding gloves for riding, but very similar (actually, they're a little cheaper than my snowboarding gloves were, IIRC).

Also, I don't know where you come from or when or where you go, but I ride from Oakley to OTR and back again, usually at around 8:30 am and 6:30 pm... If you wanna try and meet up sometime to click a few miles over on the odo and maybe snag a tasty beverage at the Hoffbrau or whatnot, just let me know. :D
I rode today also but my commute is only 3 miles. My ski pants, jacket and gloves seem to do the trick. I saw those gloves at Metro also and am tempted though.

Would love to link up with you two downtown sometime during the week for a ride. Ending up at Hofbrau sounds great.
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

Air cooled engines definately do run better in cold weather.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

ScooterN2 wrote: I figure if I can ski all day in 0 degree weather, i should be able to find a solution for the scooter.
Other than the pavement conditions, which are out of our control, I agree. (Just remember, when you're skiing, you're generating body heat by being active; when you're scooting, your body heat is probably dropping. So pretend it's thirty degrees colder than it actually is, and you should have a parallel on what to wear.)
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

+1 for Olympia winter gloves. They make a few different models. I've got a pair with knuckle armor, velcro bands across the wrists and drawstring adjustable gauntlets that are lined with thinsulate. They're warmer than my down mittens but they're also supple enough to give the "feel" you need for riding.

Be sure to get the right fit when you try on riding gloves. Different strokes for different folks, but as far as I'm concerned, you want the gloves as tight as you can stand them. I normally wear medium gloves but all my riding gloves (for bicycle, scooter and motorcycle) are smalls.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
deserthealer

Post by deserthealer »

i got a little nippy the other day on my way to work. Gosh, it must have been 72 degrees. Burrrrr :D
GenuineSlacker

Post by GenuineSlacker »

yeah its been fairly nice every day when i actually fire up mah buddy, but about a minute into my ride i notice than when i hit that 50 mph mark the wind starts to cut through me. Liner in my jacket with a hoody on and everything. Do they make down riding jackets?
"Angels who are forced from heaven have no choice but to become demons." - Vicious
PhotoBob

Post by PhotoBob »

You might look into snowmobile pants...I wear a pair on my commute (along with a Corazzo jacket, a nice cable-knit sweater, a dickey, glove liners, outer gloves and warm shoes) and I am toasty warm! This morning's temp was right around 32 degrees. The other important thing to remember to keep your inner core warm, so a nice cup of coffee or hot tea will help toast you up nicely. It's just too much fun not to scoot...at least until the snow really starts flying!!
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Cold here in Cinci again this morning, but the ride is still way more fun than the bus. :D

I'm going up to Metro at lunch time to pick up my title; I'll look at the Olympia gloves while I'm there. They might have to wait until I get paid again though.

I was quite warm this morning. I decided since I was going to have to change clothes a little at work when I got in I might as well start a little warmer than just another thin layer under my work pants.

I wore my Bugs Bunny sweatshirt underneath my Power Trip textile jacket, and a pair of sweatpants under some heavy jeans. I wear a full face helmet and use a Turtle Fur thingy on my neck, plus regular human winter gloves with thinsulate. The gloves were fine this morning but I think I should get the Olympias for colder weather and better protection.

I am definitely up for some riding with you guys some time. I work in the Carew Tower (right by the newly re-opened Fountain Square).
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Keys

Post by Keys »

Everybody keeps talking about pants. We're supposed to wear pants when we ride???

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
NarMeowZippy

Post by NarMeowZippy »

Keys wrote:Everybody keeps talking about pants. We're supposed to wear pants when we ride???
Nope, pants are optional. :wink:
It's Scooter-rific!!!
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Mental note: Cute girls in the greater Seattle area occasionally ride without pants. :lol:
Huh? What just happened?
rajron

Post by rajron »

Whaaa - don’t their ……ugh … ugh ...knees get cold?
weebl

Tights

Post by weebl »

I'm sure a lot of the guys will scoff at this, but an easy way to keep your legs a little warmer is to wear tights under your jeans. Unless you routinely drop trou at the office, no one will see them, and they really do keep you warmer!

I also got some warmer leather gloves... they're super warm, kevlar-reinforced, and were only $30 at my local scooter shop.
schroncc

Post by schroncc »

I agree with the tights. I ride to my classes and here in Canton its been in the 30's. I just wear a pair of Nike tights I bought for running. No one can see them but they keep all the important stuff warm!!
mlee10018

Post by mlee10018 »

I usually cut my long johns in half so I am not too warm when I am inside the rest of the day, but enough to keep me warm when I am out.
Lee
rajron

Post by rajron »

Warm undergarments aren’t really an option for me because I work in a controlled environment and its relatively warm 75° F @ 50% humidity – so once getting to work I would have to remove the warm underwear and then at the end of the day put them back on to get home – too much work for a lazy guy like me. I have a good scooter jacket, my top half is OK, but I need some outer pants that’s not too cumbersome – any ideas? Oh yea and it needs to be subtle in style, black leather chaps with tassels are definitely out of the question.
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

mila921

Post by mila921 »

So I ride like 25 min. to work and I'm totally chilled to the bone on my ride home and it takes me like half an hour to warm up again. I'm really looking for a women's jacket that is waterproof, windproof, can withstand cold temps, maybe some reflective material somewhere on it? Also looking for some good gloves online so that i'm not frostbitten by the time I get home, any suggestions?
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

mila921 wrote:So I ride like 25 min. to work and I'm totally chilled to the bone on my ride home and it takes me like half an hour to warm up again. I'm really looking for a women's jacket that is waterproof, windproof, can withstand cold temps, maybe some reflective material somewhere on it? Also looking for some good gloves online so that i'm not frostbitten by the time I get home, any suggestions?
There's some good deals here:
http://www.newenough.com/index2.htm
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
weebl

Post by weebl »

Mila - I picked up these, and they've kept me war. They're a little bulky, but when it comes to being warm bulky is OK with me. I'll see if I can snap a picture of mine for you :)

Edit: nm, there's a picture of them now, Image
Last edited by weebl on Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Those chaps looked promising LOL but I needed to check them out more – now I’m not sure if they are going to work out for me. LOL

That is not me its some poor sole I found on the net.
Attachments
!!Poor Guy with Chaps.jpg
!!Poor Guy with Chaps.jpg (78.2 KiB) Viewed 2907 times
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

New personal record for cold riding for me today: 21F

I haven't ridden since Sunday due to bronchitis, and couldn't take another day on the bus.

Chilly but nice ride anyway. Only a brief moment of slight concern when I saw what looked like water or ice on the road. It was near the bottom of a very large hill where there also happens to be a 45 degree turn. So, it's a downhill curve on ice with a stop at the end. I approached carefully and tried not to be braking and turning at the same time on the ice. Worked out fine, no drama.

It will be in the 40's on the way home. :)
Kevin
AYPWIP?
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

I rode in today as well...

A bit chilly, but it wasn't nearly as bad as standing around scraping the ice off of the car's windows. :lol:
Huh? What just happened?
mybuddy

Post by mybuddy »

Another one from Cincinnati that rode in this morning. I was nice and toasty on the way in. The tall windshield does wonders to keep you warm.

I was not so lucky though with the water/ice deal. I put the scoot down this morning when I went over some ice at a stop sign. Funny thing is I stopped ok and put my foot down and it was not slick then, put when I gave it some gas to go it fishtailed right from under me. Ended up breaking the windshield, scratching up the side and tweaking the front alignment. Seth at Metro is looking at it to see if I did any real damage to the front. Sucks. I was mad at myself.
Last edited by mybuddy on Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

mybuddy wrote:I was not so lucky though with the water/ice deal. I put the scoot down this morning when I went over some ice at a stop sign. Funny thing is I stopped ok and put my fut down and it was not slick then, put when I gave it some gas to go it fishtailed right from under me. Ended up breaking the windshield, scratching up the side and tweaking the front alignment. Seth at Metro is looking at it to see if I did any real damage to the front. Sucks. I was mad at myself.
Really sorry to hear that. No damage to you I hope.

My ice incident and yours, though mine ended without drama, has me wondering about the wisdom of riding at below freezing temps.

As much as I hate the bus, a bad ride on the bus only costs a dollar and it's over in 45 minutes.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
rajron

Post by rajron »

28° WOW!! I wouldn’t even consider ridding that just too cold for me.

It is dangerous riding, riding in freezing weather makes it even more dangerous hopefully you get your bike up and running soon luckily you didn’t hurt yourself.

The other morning I was coming into work it was cool about 38 – 40° F – it was OK and I was feeling pretty good with my jacket and warm gloves. I can see another motor biker pulling into the south motorcycle parking lot in front of me; it’s still dark so I don’t see any details. I stop put the scoot on its stand take off my helmet and start walking to the plant and then I noticed the other biker in more detail. I was wondering who rode that bike, a red Triumph Rocket III 2.3 liter motor monster bike, looks like a tractor motor. But the guy that got off the bike, he was wearing shorts, tennis shoes, a light windbreaker and a baseball cap on backwards, its under 40°F! Is that bad or what?
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

rajron wrote:Those chaps looked promising LOL but I needed to check them out more – now I’m not sure if they are going to work out for me. LOL

That is not me its some poor sole I found on the net.
Do I detect hockey goalie pads under fur in that pic a few msgs above....?
mybuddy

Post by mybuddy »

lobsterman wrote:
Really sorry to hear that. No damage to you I hope.

My ice incident and yours, though mine ended without drama, has me wondering about the wisdom of riding at below freezing temps.

As much as I hate the bus, a bad ride on the bus only costs a dollar and it's over in 45 minutes.
I landed on my knee, as soon as I got to work I put ice on it. It feels a little better now.

I would love to ride all winter but I dont know now.

Maybe I just need to get back on that horse and keep riding.
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Damn.

Glad you and your Buddy are mostly okay.

Gonna be extra careful on the AM commute from now on. :?
Huh? What just happened?
weebl

Post by weebl »

This thread, along w. the one about the windshield remind me of the advice my dad keeps giving me every time I go out in the rain/wind/cold:

"It doesn't matter how tough you think you are, the weather gods will always win. Best not to tempt them."

Please make sure you take into account your riding skill level, the equipment on your bike, and the type of gear you have before trying to tackle winter weather. Just because someone else is fine riding in snow up to their butt doesn't mean you will be. When in doubt, leave the scoot at home and save the foul weather riding for when you have more experience and appropriate gear.

edited to fix spelling
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I enjoy the nice sunny days when all the motorcycles come out to play, but I LOVE the cold days when my Buddy is the only two-wheeler in the "motorcycle parking." The security guard tells me I'm crazy, but I know I'm just happy. :D

But one of the first cold nights, I did get a little too cold and got lost going home... :wtf: So I will whole-heartedly agree with the advice that you have to have the right gear. I leave an extra rain/windproof layer under my seat at all times.

I bought some Mountain Hardwear featherweight tights that I wear under my pants to and from work. I have very sensitive skin and find them a bit itchy, so I take them off while at work, but they make a huge difference as a windstopper, especially considering that they are very very lightweight. I bought them from Altrec.com because they have a great return policy. (They pay for shipping; you just go to your order record and print out a return label. Very nice.)
cmiles3

Winter riding in OK

Post by cmiles3 »

I ride to work in Tulsa. Usually, I check the weather forecast for winter weather. Over 35 degrees is OK. Never under 35 with precipitation because there are too many cold spots on my 20 miles commute. I'll ride under 35, if it's sunny and has been dry for several days. Even with that, there are several places that are wet year round, and could be frozen.

I have a full fairing & tall windshield, so I can get by with insulated jacket, full face helmet, and office wear. For longer trips, I throw on my Carhart insulated coveralls. I added Interstate insulated gloves this winter, and really noticed the difference when the weather's under 40.

For cold weather gloves, you don't want them tight. They'll cut off the circulation in your fingers and you'll have frostbite before you finish your 40 minute commute. Make sure they have gauntlets to slip over/under your sleeves, to keep the cold out. If you wear a short jacket, it needs to fit tight around your waist to keep the drafts out. Layering helps; windproof outer layer (rain gear usually works) then isulating layer(s) and best if you keep something wicking next to your skin. Sweat will freeze you quickly if it saturates your gear.

I don't have problems with my feet getting cold, yet. So insulated boots are overkill for me, but may be needed for your ride.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Had a problem with the commute – had to take 4 wheels.
Fist pic was 4 days ago – roads are better now but still a lot of ice.
Need warmth!
Attachments
today.jpg
today.jpg (53.49 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
4 days ago.jpg
4 days ago.jpg (50.76 KiB) Viewed 2144 times
ivyall

Riding in the cold

Post by ivyall »

I get really refreshed riding in the cold but the wind really batters me. Especially at faster speeds. I don't feel very stable above 45mph (not that I'm a stable person anyway). Does anybody have a windshield? What do you think about it?
soundofsingles

Post by soundofsingles »

Beards are really helpful as well. I just shaved off my beard on New Years day, which makes me look about ten years younger, but has resulted in a lot more wind getting into my full face helmet. Maybe next year I'll keep it until spring.
rajron

Post by rajron »

I use a short windshield which deflects most of the blast into my chest – I have a very warm jacket so that’s not a problem. If you search this site, those that are using the large windshield explain that the large screen offers much more protection from the wind