New pipe & carb for my black cat...

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

CO BlackCatRider

New pipe & carb for my black cat...

Post by CO BlackCatRider »

So it has been three weeks now and 300 miles since I first got my black cat and I love it. I am so happy that I got the 70cc upgrade because I can keep up with traffic on Colfax with no problem... and she takes off like a beast compared to some of my scooter counterparts that I have pulled up next to at the lights downtown...

Anyway, my question for all of you is, should I do the upgrade exhaust and carb now? Will it make my scooter faster? I am already able to get it up to 50+ on the flats, how much faster will it go with a better carb and better exhaust? If any of you know can you please share with me... I really wouldn't mind going faster, I just don't want to dump the money into it if I am not going to notice any change in overall speed and power...

Thank you
My Black Cat Kicks Ass!!!
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

I would definately do the carb, because the stock one might not be large enough to supply the new 70cc system with enough of a fuel/ lubrication mixture. If that eventually ends up being the case, call your engine "Frizzle-Fry-Jones :cry: ."
"The All Is One..."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Hugo wrote:I would definately do the carb, because the stock one might not be large enough to supply the new 70cc system with enough of a fuel/ lubrication mixture. If that eventually ends up being the case, call your engine "Frizzle-Fry-Jones :cry: ."
Well, you may also just want to re-jet to something a tad larger.

I would say exhaust plus variator upgrade before carb, even.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Scootbeast

Post by Scootbeast »

Anyway, my question for all of you is, should I do the upgrade exhaust and carb now? Will it make my scooter faster? I am already able to get it up to 50+ on the flats, how much faster will it go with a better carb and better exhaust? If any of you know can you please share with me... I really wouldn't mind going faster, I just don't want to dump the money into it if I am not going to notice any change in overall speed and power...
I have the same upgrade on my buddy 50. Did you get the malossi cylinder and variator upgrade from Sportique?

I also had Sportique install the Prima pipe. It sounds sweet and loud, but performance wise, it is not the greatest. The bike breathes better and the pipe looks great.

The carb makes ALL the difference. I rode a kitted, piped, and carbed buddy at Sportique and I was amazed. The carb paired with the other modifications turns the scoot into a hot-rod!!! The acceleration is outstanding and I bet it is faster than most scoots under 150cc. I read one of the members on here reported 65mph! I strongly recommend the pipe and carb.

One of the few reasons I have not gotten the carb is because of the price. Sportique told me it would be $200 but I bet it is closer to $300 after install. Also, it kills the gas mileage. Right now I get about 70mpg and with the carb I have been told it gets less than 60mpg or so.

Another thing to keep in mind is that all the modifications require a bit more maintenance and the scoot has a higher potential to break down. If you want all you can get out of your scoot, go for it!!!
CO BlackCatRider

Yeah, I got the 70cc kit from Sportique... I had the pipe on the list of original upgrades, but when I went to pick up my scooter it was not on there. They told me that I need to get the new carb if I am going to put a new pipe on there. If I just do the pipe, they said I am going to lose power and not realize the full potential of the scooter...
Scootbeast

Post by Scootbeast »

If I just do the pipe, they said I am going to lose power and not realize the full potential of the scooter...
Thats strange.. Which Sportique did you go to? I went to the one in Englewood and a guy there recommended the pipe. The guy that influenced me to get it was the guy that works on go-peds. I guess its all about the sales...
KABanshee

Post by KABanshee »

Scootbeast wrote:
If I just do the pipe, they said I am going to lose power and not realize the full potential of the scooter...
Thats strange.. Which Sportique did you go to? I went to the one in Englewood and a guy there recommended the pipe. The guy that influenced me to get it was the guy that works on go-peds. I guess its all about the sales...
Put the 2000 rpm spring in with the pipe and the front wheel will hop.
"Hey Little Buddy" - Jonas Grumby
CO BlackCatRider

I went to the Denver (32nd & Pecos) Sportique...

He basically said that by just adding the pipe I am increasing the air that exits the motor but I am not increasing any air coming in... by doing both the carb and the pipe I am increasing the air coming in and the air going out of the engine...
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

A tuned pipe on a 2t motor also helps keep the fuel charge in the cylinder long enough to get you some more bang for your buck. Then it flows easier so you can move the spent gasses out quicker allowing more fuel and air back in. Probably one of the nicest things about a new carb is they're usually a lot more tuneable than the stock unit is. Like an aftermarket radio in a car vs stock.
EZPZ #65