Question for Those Who Started on a 50

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scooterinvasion

Question for Those Who Started on a 50

Post by scooterinvasion »

I was just wondering what percentage of first time buyers, starting off with a 50cc scooter, shortly thereafter regret the decision once their comfort and confidence levels increase. I asked a dealer this very question yesterday, and he said, "Well let me save you the trouble right up front and sell you a 150cc." Well, cost might be an issue there, buddy. I really can't see myself ever taking a scooter on a main thoroughfare, but who can predict for certain. I was just curious if we see a lot of 50's traded in shortly after purchase.
chancerbeans13

Post by chancerbeans13 »

I got a 125, and being a guy, wish now I would have gotten the 150. Not much more top end from what I hear, but the acceleration is greater. So, as far as a 50 cc goes, I would definitely get a 125 if not the 150, you will want to trade it in.

P.S. I don't dare take it on a main thoroughfare. The scooter is way too light and gets pushed around in a strong breeze.
StacyB

Post by StacyB »

I purchased a 50cc 2004 Yamaha Vino on eBay, rode it one or two weekends, and then bought my 125cc. I was never going to use the 50cc again, so I put it on CL. Sold the same day.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

I rode a 50cc for 3 years as my commuter bike and only "traded up" because I'm at a new place of work with a different commute and one hill was a little bit dangerous.

I took that thing on inter-town rides on roads posted 40/45mph and never had a problem. Mind you, these rides were always with another scooterist so I find cagers are nicer when scoots are in numbers.

Keep in mind, if you're 220lbs and want to travel on roads posted above 25mph often, a 50 is going to disappoint.
bunny

Post by bunny »

I will tell you what Yoda John at Moxie told me when I was first looking: All the used scooters out front are 50s. Traded in because the riders realized they wanted more power. So they were traded for 125s and 150s and then some.

He would sell me a 50 but he promised I would be trading up shortly thereafter. I went with the 150.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

pretz_ruck

Post by pretz_ruck »

50cc is fine for what I use my scoot for...back and forth to work and around town for errands. I have not been on a road in town yet that required me to get a larger motor
Syd

Post by Syd »

I rode a 50 for a year and moved up so that I could ride more - the main roads in Phx metro require a higher top end. But I never regretted having the 50.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
anndelise

Post by anndelise »

I started out with a 50cc, and by the end of the 2nd week I traded up to a 125cc.

The reason is that I have no choice but to ride on a 50mph road for about 4.5 miles. Either that or a fairly steep uphill at 35mph. A 50cc, even derestricted, wouldn't be able to put up with that kind of abuse for long. Plus, having the extra oomph if needed means that I'm safer on either of those two roads.

However, the town I travel to has 'soft' hills, meaning you don't really notice you're on a hill most the time unless you listen to your engine. But it also has some pretty steep ones in quite a few well traveled places. But, even with these hills, and if I lived in town, I'd have most likely stuck with the 50cc for a year or two before trading up.

Money IS an issue for me. But my safety has higher priority. So when I asked the dealer if I could trade up, he gave me the $2000 cost of the Buddy to go towards the 125cc. Alas, this also meant that the extra money I had paid in fees and taxes, etc...was lost on the 50cc, and had to be paid again on the 125cc. So, I wound up basically paying $800 more for the 125cc than if I'd just purchased it instead of the 50cc.
The scootering section of my blog: http://anndelise.wordpress.com/category/scootering/
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I see you're in the suburbs of Chicago. I would get at least a 125. If you were downtown and you weigh less than 150 lbs, I think a 50 would be fine since the speeds are slower.

But for the suburbs, a 125 can keep up with faster speeds better. It can also climb hills way better and faster than a 50.

I personally think the 125 is the sweet spot. The 50, 125, and 150 are all the same size. The 150 is highway legal, but it's really not made for riding all the time on the highway. You'll want a 250 if you're doing true highway riding. The 150 is also $400+ more than the 125. It accelerates a tiny bit faster up to about 30mph and the top end speed is the same as the 125.

So bottom line is, if money is no object and you like the colors more, get the 150. If you want almost the same performance as the 150, want to save money, and like the colors more, get the 125. If you live downtown, don't weigh much, don't live around hills or overpasses, rarely drive over 35mph, get the 50.
BGK

Post by BGK »

Started on a 50. Then owned a 125, 200, 50, 80, 125 and 2 more 50s in a row. Ride a '50' every day. There are trade offs but there isn't much that would get me to ride a 125cc+ four stroke.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BGK wrote:There are trade offs but there isn't much that would get me to ride a 125cc+ four stroke.
Why not?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

I've only ever had my 125, but that is because my husband started out with a 50 for approximately one week when he first started riding. He promptly sold it (at a loss since it was out of the dealer's so it was "used") and upgraded to a 125/150 (I don't remember).

From his perspective, he didn't want me to be on a a 50 because most of our streets are 35-40 miles around here, and he 1) Didn't want cagers riding on my butt and 2) Didn't want me to not have the safety of being able to accelerate and get out of the way. I think those are both important considerations to keep in mind. However, if you are on a campus or just roads that are 25mph then you may be perfectly happy with a 50.
~Celebrate~
arrowman

Post by arrowman »

I've had a 50 for the last 6 weeks. I use it in an competely urban area where I don't need to go farster than 45 hardly ever. It actually gets up to 40 pretty well. It gets to 45 in a straight away. The cool thing is it's actually been getting faster, now that I have over 500 miles on it.

If you're in the suburbs or anywhere there are open roads (where cars approach 40-50 mph), go with the 125 or 150. If you're in city limits 100% of the time, a 50cc will probably be okay for you. It's fine for my purposes.

Good luck!
emoboy44

Post by emoboy44 »

pretz_ruck wrote:50cc is fine for what I use my scoot for...back and forth to work and around town for errands. I have not been on a road in town yet that required me to get a larger motor
amen. plus in our area, we have a bike trail that allows scooters and many of the surrounding towns are connected this way. it completely bypasses the interstate and most busy roads. it's awesome.

now if this global warming would kick in some more i could have more months of riding!!!
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

I started on a 50cc with the intention of just putting around the neighborhood around the small town of Ashland. Within 2 weeks I wanted to ride it to work, 17 miles away in downtown Richmond. It required travelling Route 1...a pretty major thoroughfare. Not only did the cars zip by me (4 lane road)....it took me almost an hour to get to work. I sold the 50 and bought a 125 at the end of the 2007 year....just before the 2008's hit the market. Got a great deal and now I can keep up with traffic and get to work in 30 minutes!

Go with the biggest one you can afford!
ferfdom

Post by ferfdom »

I got my 50cc on May 30th... I KNOW that I will trade up next summer. I am still very happy will the 50cc. It was exactly what I needed as my first scooter.
paige

Post by paige »

Started on a 50cc, knowing I would trade up later. Feeling confident and building my skills over time was more important than whatever $ I might lose on the deal. That being said, I got a Vespa LX 150 a couple of months later and sold the Metro (a year later) for what I paid for it. Win/Win!
fun rider

Post by fun rider »

I'm so happy I read this thread...I had money down on a 50 but after reading the posts here, I'm upgrading to a 125.

You guys are really helpful!!!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

paige wrote:Started on a 50cc, knowing I would trade up later. Feeling confident and building my skills over time was more important than whatever $ I might lose on the deal. That being said, I got a Vespa LX 150 a couple of months later and sold the Metro (a year later) for what I paid for it. Win/Win!
I'm starting a new club: People Who Unapologetically Love LX150s and Buddys. You can be PWULLB member #2 if you like. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
paige

Post by paige »

I'm in!
How is that pronounced, by the way?
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

paige wrote:I'm in!
just like its spelled. :P
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

scullyfu wrote:
paige wrote:I'm in!
just like its spelled. :P
Like "bulb" only with "pw" at the front. Not the most pleasing to the ears... Oh well!
Peby01

Post by Peby01 »

The first scooter I bought was a pink Buddy 50. I was afraid of a bigger scoot. But then a few weeks later, I got it de-restricted, added a pipe and had the rollers changed, all for more speed.

It was a lesson well learned. All the money I pumped into the 50 could have been applied to a bigger scoot in the first place! Bottom line - if you can afford it, go for the 125 or 150. You won't be sorry!

I LOVE my St. Tropez!! SOOOO much better than a 50!
Yesterday may have sucked but TODAY IS MY LUCKY DAY!!!!
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I think its key to have a realistic view of where & when you will be riding.
I have a 2T 50cc & it is a GREAT fit for how I use it.
I am not saying they are a fit for everyone, but I use mine around town, all the residential streets are posted 20mph & the "main" streets are 35mph or less.
I do ride at about 45mph on the 40mph posted road that takes me to the edge of town for cheaper gas.
so again... its about having a realistic understanding of where you will be riding.
Have fun everyone!