Filling gas tank too quickly - danger, will robinson!

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

barndwellers_md

Filling gas tank too quickly - danger, will robinson!

Post by barndwellers_md »

I know there have been comments in past posts about overfilling your tank (which I haven't done yet if the definition means keeping it below the metal collar) but simply filling the tank too quickly could produce a similar situation as mine:

I've filled my tank below the collar over a dozen times without adverse effects, but this time I used a bit more pressure from the pump, filled it up to just below the collar and went inside the station to get a drink....came out and fuel was steadily pouring out of the charcoal canister that is mounted on the right side of the scooter above the muffler. That's right - right above the blazing hot muffler....

Could have been a nasty situation in a heartbeat!

I hate to say this, but it wouldn't surprise me if Genuine Scooter Company ends up being sued by someone who gets burned badly from filling up their tank with too much pressure.

The canister has an overflow spout for this purpose....but who in the world with any amount of common sense would mount it right above the muffler????
barndwellers_md

Woops - I just did some snooping in the General Discussion area and found out this problem with the canister above the exhaust has already been beaten or burnt to death.

Should've read before I posted.
barndwellers_md

i ended up tearing out all of the gas vapor recirculation stuff. Too dangerous for my likings.

Over in the general forums someone suggested to cap the pipe at the top of the carb in order to prevent a lean burn, but I tested it both ways - clogged and unclogged and I didn't see any difference. The original setup had it breathing air in through the carbon canister which ended up into the top of the carb so I left it open and merely filtered it.

I also filtered the line that comes off the bottom of the tank and drilled a teeny hole through the cap. Without the hole in the cap I ended up with vacuum lock at WOT after a mile.